So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

i'm new here and sort of new to discworld too so to answer the questions

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
i use to have the discworld game on ps1 and then saw hogfather on tv and instantly fell in love with it.
2. What was your first Discworld book?
my first discworld novel was hogfather
3. Will you read more?
i am currently building my collection and have read the colour of magic and the light fantastic.
4. Which one do you intend to read next?
i have equal rites on its way to me in the post and cant wait to carry on reading lol5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
i found it quiet easy to jump into the whole terry pratchett world of fantasy and became easily obsessed with his work. i am now eagerly trying to build my collection up so i have all his books.

[/i]
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Welcome mariekni - you have so many treats coming your way I'm going green with envy. :D

Terry's one of those authors that it's so easy to get really into and obsessed with. He starts with CoM & LF from a fairly high standard and just keeps getting better because (if read from the start as you're doing - aisde from Hogfather :wink: ) he's exploring Discworld with you and that's what makes so special in some respects. Plus he's intelligent, well read and compassionate as well being achingly funny.

You're gonna enjoy this ride so much and this forum does actually come with the packages because as well as discovering teh Joy of Terry you're going to make lots of new and interesting friends too!

Have lots and lots of fun finding your way around :wink: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Thank you Jan Van Quirm i'm feeling very welcome here already and it will be so nice to be able to ramble on about discworld to people who actually appreciate it also. :D
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” Terry Pratchett.
mariekni

Postby mystmoon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
2. What was your first Discworld book? The Light Fantastic, but I didn't get into it until I read Wyrd Sisters
3. Will you read more? Yes
4. Which one do you intend to read next? Whatever comes out next, either Raising Taxes or I Shall Wear Midnight
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM nessesary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm

mariekni wrote:i'm new here and sort of new to discworld too so to answer the questions

Hello Mariekni ... And have fun!

There was a cartoon of Wyrd Sisters with Anne Crosbie voicing Granny Weatherwax, Judy Cornwall voiced Nanny Ogg, Jane Horrocks voicing Magrat and Christopher Lee voiced death. I read the book and fell in love! I was sixteen years old.

Wyrd Sisters.

3. Will you read more?

I have most of them and read them all ... so for me it's a question of wating for the next one.

Whichever is published next ... Re-reading Unseen Academicals.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Because I had started with Wyrd Sisters - a parody of Macbeth (which I was sick of by the time I finished school ... I hate that play because I had to analyse three times in two years!) Then I read Lords and Ladies. I can't remember the reading order after that but I remember Moving Pictures was another one and I still love it now as I am into movies big time! I think Terry repeats the origins of the Discworld mythology fairly well throughout each of the books as he treats each book as an individual story and not as part of a series.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:25 pm

mystmoon wrote:1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
2. What was your first Discworld book? The Light Fantastic, but I didn't get into it until I read Wyrd Sisters
4. Which one do you intend to read next? Whatever comes out next, either Raising Taxes or I Shall Wear Midnight
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM necessary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!

see i dont think i would have appreciated TLF unless i had already read TCOM. there is a few points through TLF that unless TCOM had been read you would have fully appreciated what TP was getting at. if that makes sense :oops:

also thank you Lady Vetinari
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby chuckie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:35 pm

mariekni wrote:
mystmoon wrote:1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book? I read the graphic novel of TLF and then read the book afterwards
5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary? Since I started with TLF I did struggle a bit, but I don't find TCOM necessary (can't spell sorry) to understand Discworld. I was kicking myself afterwards, because I'd walked past Wee Free Men in bookshops so many times before!

see i dont think i would have appreciated TLF unless i had already read TCOM. there is a few points through TLF that unless TCOM had been read you would have fully appreciated what TP was getting at. if that makes sense :oops:

also thank you Lady Vetinari

Makes perfect sense to me mariekni. I prefer to read each thread in order because you can't really understand the characters unless you know what.s happened to them in previous books.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby mariekni » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 pm

thats exactly what i ment chuckie but i went the long nonsence way around it :oops: :lol:
Marie x Mummy-To-Be x

mariekni

Postby Cstars » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I kept running into Discworld references around the net and I hate feeling like I've missed out on something. Now I feel like one of the cool kids because I know what sapient pearwood is :D

I started at the beginning with Colour of Magic and I hope to keep going in order.

3. Will you read more?

I intend on reading all of them.

Sourcery

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
Cstars

Postby Dotsie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Welcome to the site! :D This is definitely where all the cool kids hang out 8)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too, Cstars. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Welcome Cstars, to the forum! :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 pm

And welcome from me too! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Cstars » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I'm going to spend some time exploring the forums. I may not get much work done today :)
Cstars

Postby Starlight » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 am

I bought the colour of magic because I heard that they might be good but I didn't read it until after watching Hogfather and the colour of magic on TV. Now I can't stop reading them. :lol:

The Colour of Magic

3. Will you read more?
I plan to read all of them.

I'm currently reading Hogfather after that I'm going to read Witches Abroad
Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels