Allo Allo Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Allo Allo Appreciation Thread

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Seeing as there are some people on this forum that are fans of the ageless comedy Allo Allo...

I thought we can have a thread for it... swap our favourite jokes, and scenes and characters ... and even put in some family friendly fanfic ...

Sooo...

Listen very carefully I shall say this only once .... Herr Otto Flick of the Gestapo has infiltrated this thread and we have to bamboozle him the only way we know how ... throw the radio out after the knobs flash of course... We must know the code book off by heart and have a backup code too - and when London calls ... Nighthawk had better be listening!
Last edited by Lady Vetinari on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:51 pm

I thought it was an awful series. Typically for a British comedy series, they didn't know when to stop it and every week the episode were getting more and more alike.

But that's just my opinion. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 pm

I grew up with this show - it has fond childhood memories for me so it is nostalgia more than anything - towards the end I admit it went a bit south but I still find it funny and remember it fondly and love it!

Its the same part of my childhood that includes Dr Who, Les Dawson doing Blankety Blank and Paul Daniels hosting Every Second Counts ...

Ah Weekend tv before Ant and Dec ...

Lady Vetinari

Postby Cheery » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

good moning.

My dad introduced me to Allo Allo (as he did with Monty Python, Blackadder and to an extent Dr. Who) saying, "I've recorded something, have a look at it and tell me how you like it." I actually started off seeing the very first episode and I instantly fell in love with the characters. I thought the idea that accents were actually different languages was so brilliant and the fact that the French and the Germans understood each other, but No one understood the British just made me laugh. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:27 pm

I always felt that 'Allo, 'Allo was a rip off of Secret Army which was out a few years before. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Well there is a huge difference ... That was a serious drama - Allo Allo is a PARODY .. Much different. Maybe I should rename this Allo Allo Appreciation Thread ...
I prefer this Seventies and eighties drama was a bit dry and dull ... their comedy much funnier ...

As I said happy memories are attached to Allo Allo for me! I was not even born during that other programme!

I like it you don't! We can't all like the same thing.

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:43 pm

I began to go off it when Sam Kelly disappeared - I loved him. When it had the break (I think Renee had a really bad head injury from a car accident and it was off air for at least a year?) - anyway it seemed to lose the plot a bit after that.

I met the first Capt Bertorelli (the one who was in Eastenders) in real life when he came to a probate appointment - there were some errors in the application and I nearly went and said "whadda mistaka to maka!" - I chickened out though as it was to do with his mum's will so not a time for joking around :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 am

Sam Kelly was brilliant in it KLOP. I have series 1-4 on DVD I still watch the weekend reapeats of it,though as Jan said it did tail off. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mspanners » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:13 am

Like most British Comedys it lived to long....it got too repetitive.....but was good when released.

I enjoyed the earlier shows.

A bad example is Red Dwarf, very good for the first 6-7 series then totally lost it......... :(

Fawlty Towers go it right and ended on the second Series, although it could have go on a few more in my opinion.

Lots of good classic shows about for the younger people to catch up on, Dads Army springs to mind....... :D
mspanners

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 pm

When I grew up there was a televison network repeating only old shows like 'allo 'allo and Dad's army (Dad's army had a Dutch title as well it was Daar komen de schutters :wink: ) I still like 'Allo 'allo :wink: Have to agree that the first series were the best :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I like Captain Bertorelli actually ...

I like the fact that someone on the baddie side likes Edith .... I feel sorry for Madame Edith!

Lady Vetinari

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Bertorelli wasn't bad :wink: But the original actor (Gavin Richards?) was replaced and Richard Gibson (Herr Flick) was replaced to :(
Didn't like the new actors :(
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Was he? I don't recall that .. I always thought it was Richard Gibson ... he is the one that does the Conventions - it is on you tube ... shows how long ago it has been since I watched them.

Lady Vetinari

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

yes he was at some point Herr Flick undergoes plastic surgery so he could be replaced :wink: Gibson was replaced by David Janson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Janson
Sjoerd3000

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh that's why his name doesn't ring a bell ... it was only for one series.

Lady Vetinari

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre