Discworld Audio Books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm currently reading Thud! for the discussion on March 1st and I have the audio book of it, which I'm very familiar with. the trouble is, I keep hearing it in my head in the voices that Stephen Briggs does. While I think he's really good at reading the books and doing the characterization, I'm finding it a little intrusive when I'm actually reading.

Not sure if that makes sense. :lol:

That's the definition of a great reader--one who plants the "voice" in your head when you go back to re-reading!

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 am

Zephyr wrote:Yeah, just iTunes US. Not a lot of selection as far as stuff that didn't originate here that's not already mainstream. Not sure how to sign up with other nation iTunes or I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Use Audible.com. They have the better recordings and are sometimes cheaper that iTunes. Also, if you look at iTunes that are the Audible.com recordings, but they do not translate well onto iTunes. My copy of Night Watch and Soul music that I download from iTunes is so faint even turned up all the way on my home speakers I can hardly hear it. never had a problem with Audibles.com. I get all my audiobooks from there now.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 am

I like Nigel for the 'feel' of the Discworld. he has just the right comic edge in his voice for the stories, and some of his voices are spot on. HIs Nanny Ogg , Colon, Nobby and Vimes are just as I imagined them. HIs Detritus is good to as the un-educated early watchman.

But as Detritus got 'smarter' Briggies DT is much better, and the same goes with his Vimes. Nigel's Vimes had the street wise drunkered while Briggies' Vimes is the rough edged aristocrat that he has grown into.

I do not like SB's Colon. He sounds too stupid, but his Nobby is just like Nigels so no loss there. I do agree that SB's reading is sometimes too flat but his range of all the different speices is GREAT! The best to show this work is 5th Elephant with all the WWW, Vamps, Dwarfs. Also good is The Truth with Otto which I LOVE!

I Love SB's Lut-ze which is excatly how I imagnied him to sound like.

Either way both have advantages and dis-advantages. Both help me get through the long nights at work and doing the house work as well.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby mspanners » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:45 am

Audible.co.uk...

I have now placed a complaint with the ASA about their miss selling of Terrys books in the UK, they advertised His entire Collection on one of their Banners....... but in fact do not have Three titles in UN-abridged formats, they do not tell you this when you sign up....

I would not recommend them to anyone wanting Terrys collection in full.

:(

Thats Audible.co.uk...not sure about .com.
mspanners

Postby Zephyr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Exp. Date, the rat wrote:Use Audible.com. They have the better recordings and are sometimes cheaper that iTunes.

Fabulous! Thanks so much! Will definitely check into it. :D

Yeah, my first audiobook was Thud!, so Briggs was my first DW reader. After several other Briggs books, it was hard to listen to Planer. He sounded like a stoned old guy with a carrot stuck up one nostril. Just didn't do it for me, you know.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby raisindot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Exp. Date, the rat wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Yeah, just iTunes US. Not a lot of selection as far as stuff th

Use Audible.com. They have the better recordings and are sometimes cheaper that iTunes.

+1 on that. Also, if you look hard, you can find coupon codes to sign up for a two week trial of Audible and get two downloads for free. If you don't like it, you can cancel and still keep the downloads. Not that anyone should use this to get "free" audiobooks of course.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby N1v3n » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:13 pm

I've only heard Briggs and Robinson, and much prefer Briggs. Audio books are great for the mp3 player.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 pm

N1v3n wrote:I've only heard Briggs and Robinson, and much prefer Briggs. Audio books are great for the mp3 player.
Welome N1v3n! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby N1v3n » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
N1v3n wrote:I've only heard Briggs and Robinson, and much prefer Briggs. Audio books are great for the mp3 player.
Welome N1v3n! :D

oi oi! :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
N1v3n

Postby mspanners » Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 am

Audible.co.uk ( .co.uk and not com, no experiences there. )

Just updating for anyone who may be thinking of joining up to collect the full unabridged woks here.......... don't bother as they STILL have not updated the Three missing Unabridged books in the Discworld series and I have been badgering them to get them from day one of this thread, I even requested a contact address from them so I could complain to the head of Amazon or whoever is responsible for the site and have been blanked. I am at the moment getting The Tolkien Books but when I have finished I will most likely cancel my subs to the site.

Go else where or get the ones they have and then get :-

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

Night Watch

The Wee Free Men

else where. I would not recommend this site at all. :(
mspanners

Postby raisindot » Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 pm

mspanners wrote:Audible.co.uk ( .co.uk and not com, no experiences there. )

Go else where or get the ones they have and then get :-

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

Night Watch

The Wee Free Men

else where. I would not recommend this site at all. :(

Huh. Audible.com has all three of these in the unabridged versions. I have "Night Watch" and "Wee Free Men," both read by the estimable Mr. Briggs.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby mspanners » Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 pm

As .com has them I do not see why .co.uk could not have them on file to, looks like i joined the wrong site. :(
mspanners

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:18 pm

bump.
deldaisy

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:24 pm

audible had the lot when I signed up. I get a free credit every month since I'm a member too, and discounts.
Perestroika

Discworld Audio Books

Postby Beti » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:08 am

I listen to the audio books all the time. I have a twice a day forty minute commute and they are my constant companion. I kind of take the painting-the-Golden-Gate-Bridge approach: start at the beginning, work my way though, finish and start all over again. Dorky but I find them a perfect escape from my stressful job and a great way to decompress on the way home.

I much prefer Nigel Planer's voice to Stephen Briggs'. It may be because I listened to the audio books in order and was used to hearing Nigel's versions of the characters but still...

And, not to be mean, but Stephen constantly smacks his lips when he starts a sentence. Like he swallows and then opens his mouth to speak. I find it very distracting. I do appreciate all his efforts but I'd rather hear Nigel read.

I like Tony Robinson quite a bit but was disappointed to see all his versions, on Audible at least, were abridged. How could you cut anything out of Terry's writings?!
Beti

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels