Comedy

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:19 pm

janet wrote:Going back further but I still love The Goon Show and anything the late Michael Bentine did would make me weep with laughter :lol:

The Goons were great :)
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby mystmoon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Seconded! Even tho I'm probably the only person my age who listens to them
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm

I love The Goons... to be honest I am not much of a fan of modern comedy - though I will give Gavin and Stacey another go ... especially as it has the fantastically funny Rob Brydon in it.

One of my favourite scenes was when one of them asked another the time and he said: I got it writted down on a piece of paper, it say's 8.

The reply: I wish I had the time writted down on a piece of paper...

Oh and one of the sketches I am sure was based on my grandfather as Harry Secombe used to meet and talk to my grandfather when he was working on the trains. The scene mentions a 'right proper Charlie from the Carshalton Marshes' ... I think that's right ... anyway my grandfather was called Charles and he lived in the Carshalton, near some very marshy fields.

Oh and he used to give my grandad a bit of money to buy his kids sweets.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:
janet wrote:Going back further but I still love The Goon Show and anything the late Michael Bentine did would make me weep with laughter :lol:

Many moons ago, when I was still with the ex-boyfriend, he and I were to drive my mum and dad to a family "do".

I bought some cassettes (yes, it's that far back!!) of The Goon Show, and we played them in the car on the journey to/from.

We were all in hysterics!!

Oh dear, I think I'm off to Play.com.................. :oops: :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Lady V wrote:Oh and one of the sketches I am sure was based on my grandfather as Harry Secombe used to meet and talk to my grandfather when he was working on the trains. The scene mentions a 'right proper Charlie from the Carshalton Marshes' ... I think that's right ... anyway my grandfather was called Charles and he lived in the Carshalton, near some very marshy fields.

Wow - what a wonderful bit of family history :D

Can I pay you 5 pounds to move a piano from one room to another?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby janet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Doughnut Jimmy wrote:

Many moons ago, when I was still with the ex-boyfriend, he and I were to drive my mum and dad to a family "do".

I bought some cassettes (yes, it's that far back!!) of The Goon Show, and we played them in the car on the journey to/from.

We were all in hysterics!!

Oh dear, I think I'm off to Play.com.................. :oops: :roll:

Also many years ago ( early 80s?) I would be driving late on a Friday evening for work and listening to the Michael Bentine radio show on the car radio (in those days it worked!). I would regularly have to stop the car to compose myself :lol:
Unless you've heard the Mounted Police Bicycle School etc you won't have a clue what I mean.
It's worth checking BBC Radio 7 for repeats.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Danny B » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 pm

The Goons were indeed wonderful. I'm only recently discovering another old radio comedy show, "'Round the Horne" and have to say it's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Surprisingly daring as well, considering the time period it was recorded in. A more recent show, Ladies of Letters, has also had me snorting tea out of my nostrils on a regular basis.

As well as the telly shows everyone has mentioned previously, I was a huge fan of The Mark Thomas Comedy Product when it was on telly a few years ago. He's a deeply under appreciated comic and deserves far more screen time than he gets. If anyone else on the forum is a fan of Mark Thomas, then I'd recommend them to check out Mark Steele as well, if they've somehow missed him. Despite their presence on the Open University block of programming, The Mark Steele Lectures are really just a comedian riffing on the lives of important historical figures and well worth hunting out.

Big Train was also able to make me laugh so hard that I was in pain afterwards. :lol:
Danny B

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:46 pm

There's another radio show that I used to enjoy called 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again' - it starred a lot of the Pythons and the Goodies as well as others. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Danny B » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Cheers for the recommendation, Tony. :) I'll have to see if I can dig up some recordings of it. A mixture of the Pythons and Goodies line-ups is really too good to ignore. If it's as good a listen as At Last the 1948 Show was to watch, then it'll be well worth a listen.
Danny B

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Danny B wrote:Cheers for the recommendation, Tony. :) I'll have to see if I can dig up some recordings of it. A mixture of the Pythons and Goodies line-ups is really too good to ignore. If it's as good a listen as At Last the 1948 Show was to watch, then it'll be well worth a listen.

Look no further. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Danny B » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Once again, thank you good sir! Duly bookmarked so I can have a listen when I'm slightly less distracted. :)
Danny B

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Ordered the complete boxset of Allo Allo ... gooody gooody!!!!!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Willem » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:33 am

Anyone here like Curb Your Enthousiasm? It's a bit of an acquired taste :)
Willem

Postby theoldlibrarian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:03 am

I absolutely love Naked Gun (esp 2 1/2)
Monty Python
Police Academy
Anchor Man
Zoo Lander
Airplane :lol:
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 am