RIP Tony Hillerman

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

RIP Tony Hillerman

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:12 am

I'm not sure that this name will mean a lot to most of you, but I know that at least one other member here has read Tony Hillerman's books.

Tony Hillerman

Sharlene introduced me to his books a few years ago and I've devoured them all. They are set (for the most part) on the Navajo reservation and tell the story of two tribal policemen. But they are so much more than that and when you read them you really feel that you start to know about the Navajo culture.

I was incredibly sad to hear of his death even though I knew he has been very ill for some time now.

R.I.P. Tony :cry:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:49 am

. . . that is seriously sad news. Wonderful writer, great books.

RIP, Peter
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:54 am

Just saw the article this morning. Didn't know he'd been ill. This is very sad. :( Sharlene also got me reading his books, and they've been fantastic. Just picked up her favorite, Dancehall of the Dead, at the library today.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quilpusha » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 am

. . . Dancehall of the dead was the first one that I read, then I got into sequence.
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Return to The Broken Drum