Oh Gods! Another whowazzit mystery...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Oh Gods! Another whowazzit mystery...

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 pm

OH GODS!

A very shaken Abbot Babbot opened his journal and had to wait for several moments before he was calm enough to press quill to parchment...

It is with a heavy heart that I write of two of my brethren whom Om has seen fit to take unto his bosom this terrible day. I shall speak of Brother Goodman last, though he was first taken, for his demise I admit to being sore troubled over.
Near the dusk of this day, my youngest brother, Dominix, was visiting the dwelling of the Weatherwaxes, a family of spotless reputation and some influence in Lancre. However, there were rumours of the eldest daughter being spiritually addled and so I gave Brother Dominix leave to visit with the young lady, thinking the similarity in their ages would be of some assistance. I fear now that I sent poor Dominix to his death. I have just come from the abode of the Weatherwaxes, who were in a state of great agitation and remorse. It seems there was a terrible mishap and Dominix somehow broke a long mirror in such a way that his face and neck received deep and fatal lacerations. The mother of the house is a skilled midwife and had seen to the laying out of Brother Dominix before my arrival and so, Great Om be praised, I did not see him as he was first found. Poor Lily Weatherwax who was with Brother Dominix when he breathed his last, was in such a state of terror, crying most piteously the whole time I was there, I can only trust in Om's mercy that she will recover in time from the ordeal of witnessing such a tragedy.

Brother Goodman's death is another matter and one that I must meditate on most deeply, for it seems to strike at the heart of why we have been sent to this far land. After early prayers this morn, Brother Goodman was given leave to wander in solitude in the forest above our lodgings. There were hunters abroad but Goodman was following them the whole time so they said. Quite how this explains what happened defies belief, though the king's captain assures me that the tracks of the hunters and of Brother Goodman proves this to be true. The hunters had taken a circular route. At one stage they had loosed their arrows at a hind and all missed their target. When they went forth to retrieve the arrows however, none could be found. They carried on and a few hours later they came back, near to the spot where they had lost their arrows and found.... Dear Om it is a sight I hope never to see again! Brother Goodman was found pierced with their arrows, every single one of them, lying dead against a hollow oak. The captain says that the hunters had been arrayed, facing in the opposite direction to Brother Goodman when they shot at the deer. I asked if the men were honest and the good captain assured me that they were. It was then that he hinted that darker forces may have been at large, for we were near a spot where Elves and Witches were known to congregate, by a number of standing stones in a nearby grove.

Great Lord Om I pray for strength for those of us left here in this strange land. That we shall be proof against the evil beings abroad in those woods, for the superstitious locals are now warning us that it is close to 'circle time'...

The Disc’s sun slowly rises on Day 1 as the terrible news spread and speculation is rife around Lancre, as well as with the Abbot, as to who is responsible for the deaths.

Suspicion and anxiety falls particularly upon
Bikkit
Crysania
Dotsie
Doughnut Jimmy
Lady Vetinari
poohcarrot
Sjoerd

Additional Clues and Characters (if any are deceased or otherwise disincarnate assume this all happened prior to that!)

Bibulous ~ As the God of Wine and Things on Sticks, you are in fact ideally suited for an investigative role in low places as you never get hungover (although you can become unpleasantly sober when your shadow god Bilious takes a hangover cure).
Knowing you're hardly likely to make a responsible investigator however, Blind Io has temporarily invested you with the power to raise the dead - but once, and only once, during the entire game. Be very careful how and where you use this power however, as you may use it for victims of a lynch as well as night kills (in practice, you nominate your revived corpse at the start of the next convenient night phase). The power may be used on yourself as well, but of course this may blow your cover...

Anoia ~ Your divine powers will come in very useful amongst the mortals of Lancre, driving them into such fury with their kitchen drawers jamming, stuffing vital items down the back of sofas and generally instilling such a state of hopeless anger in them, that they'll give themselves away if they are guilty.
Taking advantage of your natural skills, every night phase you may steal something from your latest suspect. If that person has a secret power, this will be what you take, but there is some danger that you could steal your fellow god's special power, so be very sure who you choose. Your nights haul will only be revealed to you - it is up you whether to reveal it to the other players, if the theft is significant.

Black Aliss ~ the baddest badass witch there ever was, you are a mistress of story-running, have black teeth and fingernails due to being too partial to sweeties and have not taken kindly to the Archdeacon of Omnia's sending all these foolish monks onto your patch, with their scandalous parables of doing good and always telling the Om's honest truth...
As befits a top evil witch, you are really powerful and almost invulnerable. In fact you will be able to weave your spells without detection and cannot be killed. You do not need an accomplice (indeed all the other witches are so scared of you, you have to work alone). Accordingly, only you can nominate a night phase victim...

... this is because the other killer is 'freelance' and completely random. She is...

Lily Weatherwax ~ a promising and powerful young witch, but sadly obsessed with becoming a temptress and jezebel. You were responsible for killing a second young monk, after he broke your best mirror, claiming it was a sin of pride to look in it... You are uncertain who the other killer is, but you're in full agreement that these upstart monks should be sent packing - in a box if necessary!
Because you come from a respected family and your reputation is still relatively unsullied, you will appear innocent if investigated. As a random, inexperienced killer, you are inclined to the dramatic and plan to kill your next victim in a day phase! However, your fate, decreed by Om and ratified by Blind Io is that you will die in the act of killing your next victim - so think long and hard about who you want to kill as you're going down with 'em! Unless, that is, the victim's Black Aliss - or Bibulous has taken a shine to one of you...

THE RULES
1. No arguing with the Narrator in the main thread. All queries, post mortems or requests for elaboration to be done in the What do I do Now? support thread or by PM if it’s something you cannot discuss in public.

2. When formally voting for someone to be lynched please make this crystal clear as in
“I vote for Mr/Ms X to be lynched” - or use block capitals etc etc.
Do the same sort of thing if you change you mind and want to vote for someone else or to abstain/withdraw your vote - remember you can vote up to 3 times if you need to change your mind during each day phase.

3. If the Narrator tells you that you have a secret role make sure you never reveal your true role to anyone (unless you’re a killer in which case you will know who you’re working with) unless the Narrator says you can – else you’ll end lynched much quicker…

4. Try not to get too upset with what happens once the killings start - it’s a fun game to play so keep it light-hearted. If you do get eliminated you can still take part as a Gawper!

5. Gawpers you may post during the Day Phases, but you may not vote for anyone

6. No posting by anyone in the main thread during a night phase – Gawpers this means you too!

NEW - 7. The content of PM conversations other than to reveal the identity of murder and lynch victims should never be publicly disclosed, unless the player has a secret role and needs to substantiate their thread activity for some reason. The Narrator is subject to this rule as well as the players and must not reveal the outcomes of non-lethal night phase choices and activities.

Day phases: These last up to 7 real time days to allow all the players time to post and to vote for a lynch victum. If everyone has voted early then the Narrator may close the voting early and announce the start of the…

Night phase: These will generally last up to 48 hours to allow all 4 special roles to PM the Narrator with their decisions.

You have been warned! Please abide by the Narrator’s guidance in the main and support threads.

Further information on gameplay is available HERE in the What do I do Now? support thread where you can post if you need to do so away from the game thread

Click here to PM Jan

Day phase 1 has commenced ~ it will run from now until 2200 hrs GMT (London) on Monday 22nd Feb unless all players have concluded their elimination voting beforehand.
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

have we started already? 'I accuse Pooh in the library with the double-handed axe.'" :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 pm

"Spiritually addled" I like it now which of us could that describe...
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:have we started already? 'I accuse Pooh in the library with the double-handed axe.'" :wink:

Oh bugger! You sussed me out already. That was quick. :(
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm

So, it was you what done it, own up' :twisted:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:21 pm

I own up. It was me wot done it. :(
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 pm

then we're done already that was quick :D And it's the first time I'm right in this game :D You sure it was you wot done it? :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 pm

Positive. I'm as guilty as "Gilbert Guilty and the It-woz-me-wot-dun-its". :(
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 pm

It can't be you I never been right in this game :wink:
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:41 pm

What does that tell you then General? :lol: I think you need to wait for the ladies to come in a bit more :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 pm

It's a fair cop, but society's to blame. :(
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 am

Don't worry pooh, I'm sure Om will let you have a fair trial before he smites you! :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 am

Anything you'd like to get off your chest before you face the Great God - no Holy Book plagiarisms? :lol: :wink:

Confession is v. good for the soul after all :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby bikkit » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:12 am

Liar! It was me wot done it! *starts fight*

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:55 am

I have a nose for things, you don't! :lol: And I'm not being attacked by question marks! :lol:
poohcarrot

Next

Return to Games