You learn something new each day.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Morty wrote:
wicked woman wrote:I learnt how to tell the sex of a bearded dragon. (See show us your pets thread.)

I learnt not to shake hands with Wicked Woman until I’m sure she’s washed her hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm clean. It's Zepher you need to be wary of.
wicked woman

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm

wicked woman wrote:
Morty wrote:
wicked woman wrote:I learnt how to tell the sex of a bearded dragon. (See show us your pets thread.)

I learnt not to shake hands with Wicked Woman until I’m sure she’s washed her hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm clean. It's Zepher you need to be wary of.

Which Zepher WW there's two of them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby wicked woman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah and aint that confusing. Both, I think. I love dogs, but their personal habits leave a lot to be desired.
wicked woman

Postby kakaze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

I learned that most plants need Calcium. Why? They have no blood and no bones!

Also, apparently, they need BOTH carbon dioxide AND oxygen! The leaves need the carbon dioxide and the roots need the oxygen.

EDIT:

I also learned today that Oregon (where I live) has had an "assisted death" law for the last 11 years. :o I seem to recall the debate raging back in 1999, but didn't pay much attention to it at the time.
kakaze

Postby Grymm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 am

Morty wrote:I have been agonising for the last few days wondering what to give up for Lent. I don’t drink alcohol, I was ordered to give up my beloved fags when I had my stroke. I’m a diabetic so chocolate was never going to be an option.......

I was running out of options quickly

I found out today that you don’t have to give something up for Lent. You can do something you don’t normally do instead. I asked the vicar if reading more Discworld was an option but that didn’t go down so well. So for my sins I have decided to read The New Testament over the 40 days of Lent.

And may God have mercy upon my soul :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also remember that lent observances are only monday to saturday and NOT SUNDAYS and historically has never included sundays.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:41 am

kakaze wrote:I learned that most plants need Calcium. Why? They have no blood and no bones!

I would guess that they need the ions to maintain their electrolyte levels, so they can maintain high osmotic pressure in their cells (or they would go all floppy). Was that really boring? Sorry :oops: Maybe they have tiny green bones :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 am

Dotsie wrote:
kakaze wrote:I learned that most plants need Calcium. Why? They have no blood and no bones!

I would guess that they need the ions to maintain their electrolyte levels, so they can maintain high osmotic pressure in their cells (or they would go all floppy). Was that really boring? Sorry :oops: Maybe they have tiny green bones :wink:
If I remember from doing horticulture in school, they need calcium, nitrogen and phosphorus. I could be wrong though - it was a very, very long time ago. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Andrew Böber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

I learnt that when confronted with the dismissive rhetoric "How long is a piece of string" the lateral answer should be "From one end to the other". Having learnt this now all I need to do is wait until someone makes that blasted remark again.
Cha bhi suaimhneas aig eucoir, no seasamh aig droch-bheairt
Andrew Böber

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Yo Andrew!

How long is a piece of string? :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Andrew Böber wrote:I learnt that when confronted with the dismissive rhetoric "How long is a piece of string" the lateral answer should be "From one end to the other". Having learnt this now all I need to do is wait until someone makes that blasted remark again.
How long are you prepared to wait? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Andrew Böber wrote:I learnt that when confronted with the dismissive rhetoric "How long is a piece of string" the lateral answer should be "From one end to the other". Having learnt this now all I need to do is wait until someone makes that blasted remark again.
How long are you prepared to wait? :wink:

1 minute, I reckon. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:17 pm

:lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Andrew Böber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm usually prepared to wait as long as somewhere between now and then. :)
Andrew Böber

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Andrew Böber wrote:I'm usually prepared to wait as long as somewhere between now and then. :)
I do know what you mean though. It's like when you get into an arguement - you can always think of really great things you should have said AFTER the event. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Andrew Böber » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Absolutely. On the other hand, saying them during an argument doesn't tend to help either. Whilst there is a lot that can be said in favour of a person having razor sharp wit it doesn't tend to pass the scrutiny of a person with a very sharp razor.

Having learnt this growing up in an army town, where such razor based scenarios are often enacted with alarming historical regularities, a person quickly adopts a philosophy – though perhaps more religion – akin to Rincewind’s own. It is better, albeit life-preserving, to spend most of your time running away as often as possible.

This flight or flight tendencies does cause problems in other walks of life, especially when you happen to be dealing with a tricky committee meeting and suddenly find yourself legging it down a street. Incongruously, committee meetings are not the sort of places life is found to thrive in, so running away from there should invariably be considered as a positive step in our evolution.

Another is not to eat melted cheese on chocolate biscuits.

Andrew
Andrew Böber

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum