You learn something new each day.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:48 pm

I learnt today from Pooh that you can buy Discworld proofs. I never knew such things were available on the open market or that a quantity of proofs were available. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Penfold

If you go to the new sticky links thread at the top and click on Colin Smythe, then click on Disworld, then click on novels you can see how many proofs there were for each book. Usually about 100-140 only, so you'll realise how rare they are.

The rarest is Equal Rites and I know a site that is selling one for $2,500. The US ARC proofs are pants - don't buy them coz there were loads printed. The UK proofs go for anywhere between 50 pounds to 400 pounds each depending which book- they ain't cheap.

Actually trying to find them anywhere is difficult. If you go to ebay - Terry Pratchett proof, you'll see maybe 5 US ARC proofs.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Penfold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Pooh:

They may not be cheap, as you say, but most worthwhile endeavours can be costly in both cash, time, and effort. I consider yours to be infinitely more worthy than trying to get a scratch handicap at golf, for example. (I assume that I have suitably upset any avid golfers now :P ).

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I play golf! :twisted: :lol: Only a 17 handicap though, coz I don't take it seriously. :lol:

If you want to start a collection, then of the proofs at this link, I reckon the Truth, Nightwatch and Going Postal aren't too badly priced at 75/80 pounds each. #11 #12 #13

Also Wintersmith for 40 pounds. #15

The cheaper ones are US ARCs - Don't buy them.

There is also Equal Rites and Mort, so you can see what I mean about expensive.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... f&sortby=1
poohcarrot

Postby wicked woman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 am

I learnt how to tell the sex of a bearded dragon. (See show us your pets thread.)
wicked woman

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 am

wicked woman wrote:I learnt how to tell the sex of a bearded dragon. (See show us your pets thread.)

I learnt not to shake hands with Wicked Woman until I’m sure she’s washed her hands :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Cheery » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:41 am

I've learned today that you shouldn't let your cats into your room when the snow on the field outside is melting. :roll: I had to scrub their footprints from impossible places.
Cheery

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I have been agonising for the last few days wondering what to give up for Lent. I don’t drink alcohol, I was ordered to give up my beloved fags when I had my stroke. I’m a diabetic so chocolate was never going to be an option.......

I was running out of options quickly

I found out today that you don’t have to give something up for Lent. You can do something you don’t normally do instead. I asked the vicar if reading more Discworld was an option but that didn’t go down so well. So for my sins I have decided to read The New Testament over the 40 days of Lent.

And may God have mercy upon my soul :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Cheery » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Morty wrote:I have been agonising for the last few days wondering what to give up for Lent. I don’t drink alcohol, I was ordered to give up my beloved fags when I had my stroke. I’m a diabetic so chocolate was never going to be an option.......

I found out today that you don’t have to give something up for Lent. You can do something you don’t normally do instead. I asked the vicar if reading more Discworld was an option but that didn’t go down so well. So for my sins I have decided to read The New Testament over the 40 days of Lent.

The sniggering at the end suggests that it will be the omnian or the Cockney version am I right? :lol:
Cheery

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:11 pm

You should just read the Omnian Bible instead. Next chapter coming shortly. :lol:

Or you could just give up Lent, for Lent ie; give up giving things up. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Cheery » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

At least that would be giving up something :wink:
Cheery

Postby Penfold » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I play golf! :twisted: :lol: Only a 17 handicap though, coz I don't take it seriously. :lol:

If you want to start a collection, then of the proofs at this link, I reckon the Truth, Nightwatch and Going Postal aren't too badly priced at 75/80 pounds each. #11 #12 #13

Also Wintersmith for 40 pounds. #15

The cheaper ones are US ARCs - Don't buy them.

There is also Equal Rites and Mort, so you can see what I mean about expensive.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... f&sortby=1

Thanks Pooh, I think I might start on my own collection soon although I have a long way to catch up with you. :lol:

I also used to play golf (max. handicap) when I was working abroad. In Bermuda, I learnt not to play during a tropical storm. :shock: The high wind (you had to aim the ball at about a 45° angle for the ball to end up in roughly the desired direction) and the heavy rain (if said ball actually ended up in desired direction, you couldn't see it anyway) were OK. It was when the lightning started flashing around us that we bottled it, threw the golf clubs away, and legged it. :lol:

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:02 pm

My collection has been going for exactly one year! It's a game. It's fun trying to find them, then trying to get them at a reasonable price. 8)
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:50 pm

poohcarrot wrote:You should just read the Omnian Bible instead. Next chapter coming shortly. :lol:

Or you could just give up Lent, for Lent ie; give up giving things up. :lol:

Cheery wrote:
Morty wrote:I have been agonising for the last few days wondering what to give up for Lent. I don’t drink alcohol, I was ordered to give up my beloved fags when I had my stroke. I’m a diabetic so chocolate was never going to be an option.......

The sniggering at the end suggests that it will be the omnian or the Cockney version am I right? :lol:

Sorry to both of you Cheery and Pooh but I did mean the new international version of the Holy Bible.

It's no secret that I am a very slow reader and have very little spare time so a whole book in 40 days will be my own personal miracle. :wink:
Morty

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

give up giving up things :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum