Unseen Academicals - Revelation!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I couldn't believe the amount of double entendres in the book. Back passages and back alleys had more mentions than a Carry-On film. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Funny though! Definately a case of "Hello folks, and what about the workers?" :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Bushman74 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 am

Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works. I've just finished reading 'Unseen Academicals' which I love BUT I'm confused. What is the relationship between Madame Sharn & Pepe? & is Bengo gay or straight or what?
ihateddsmash
Bushman74

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 am

Welcome to the site Bushman74. :D

I'm not sure about Pepe and Madame myself - It seems as if Pepe is a human dwarf rather than a 'real' dwarf and we already know that gender tends to be 'difficult' with dwarfs. I think it's a case of Terry playing games with gender confusion and actually, I don't think it really matters (except to them) what their relationship is.

As to Bengo - I think there's definitely a suggestion that he's probably gay. That doesn't seem to bother anyone else - and why should it? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi Bushman74 :D

Like Tony says, this is a book where Terry finally starts to look at gender confusion and homosexuality for real, rather than playing around it like in Monstrous regiment. Whilst it doesn't matter, it's still a valid point for discussion, but I can't remember enough of the book to say any more.

Why do you hate dd smash?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Bushman 74

Professor Bengo is gay. Madame Sharn is a male dwarf dressing up as a woman and is gay. Pepe, I'm not sure about because there doesn't appear to be enough information, but I assume he used to be Madame Sharn's lover but now abstains from sex.
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm

welcome to the site bushman :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Zephyr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Interesting he would put homosexuality in a sports-themed book.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby Penfold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too :)

Bushman74 wrote:Help! I am new to this (forum postings) so I hope this works.
Don't worry, I was new to all this forum (and internet) stuff when I joined but you soon get the hang of it. Just have fun! :lol: If you have any questions, just ask (Not that some of the replies will make any sense tho :wink: )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Draywoman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome Bushman. No doubt about it, Pterry is playing to stereotypes with a world of women's fashion dominated by gay men/male dwarves. The twist is that these two are far from rarified fashionista's but more streetwise and tricksy.

As for Bengo Macarona, I thought the implication was that he was, ahem, ambidextrous, as it were :oops:. in fact, open to new and exciting experiences of any species or gender...

Ooh, Matron!
Habeus testiculares, habeus cardium et cerebellum
Draywoman

Postby Herron451 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi all. Long time reader of the books but new to your forum here. (long time listener, first time caller)
I agree about the professor, and acknowledge that Pepe is both human (dwarf by adoption sort of thing) and a right bastard, but I am almost as confused about his sexual identity as I was about my own once upon a time. Is he bi, gay, or straight, simply acting a part for the purpose of sales?
And regarding Madame Sharn where do you reach the conclusion that she is a cross dresser and not "truly" female? What hints give this away?

It seems strange, but I really want Pepe to be gay, as he is a beautifully stereotype shattering character if he is. Kinda like Willem Defoe in Boondock Saints.
BTW, Draywoman, you have an AWESOME tagline. :D
"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk." Carrot (quoting Vimes)
Herron451

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi and welcome Herron

Page 386 Unseen Academicals Hard back.

Pepe: I've never seen such a large cheeseboard. It almost makes celibacy seem worthwhile.
Madame Sharn: Oh, do you think so?
Pepe: No. By the way, have you noticed that very tall wizard giving you the eye, my dear?
Madame Sharn: That's professor Bengo Macarona. (who is gay) Do you think he -
Pepe: Without a shadow of doubt, my dear. I know he's hurt his legs, but I doubt if that would be a problem.

Page 388

Pepe: I am an old bugger. I am a sod.
poohcarrot

Postby Herron451 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Y'know, oddly enough, I read that over a couple of times and just never clicked it fully. lol

And the Bugger statement I took to mean more of the generic vulgarity form of the word, rather than the literal sense. But i guess with everything else it makes more sense literally.
And thank you for the welcome as well
"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk." Carrot (quoting Vimes)
Herron451

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 pm

You're welcome for the welcome. :lol:
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Welcome to the site, Herron451! :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels