Anyone else read the dune books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:25 pm

I've actually just started on Dune. Haven't seen the film or mini-series. A friend recommended it. In fact what he really did was put the first book in my hand and say "Here. Read this!"
Jinx

Postby kakaze » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:07 pm

chris.ph wrote:what about the pern books kakaze as todd, annes son has taken over the reigns and is doing a good job as well so far

You mean the dragonrider books by McCaffery?

My mom really likes them, but I just couldn't get interested. Interesting idea about the planet orbiting multiple suns in an erratic orbit that ocationally brings it within trans-migrating distance with a harmful alien lifeform.

I wasn't aware that Anne had passed away and that her son was writing for her now.

The problem is, every author has a different "tone" and, even when their quality is as good as the original's, the style just doesn't match.

As an example, I enjoyed reading "Gone With The Wind", and I also liked "Scarlett", but the Scarlett in "Scarlett" just didn't seem like the same girl as the one in "Gone with the wind". I think it would have been better if her daughter had written about a minor character in the first book. Perhaps Scarlett's son, Wade, or maybe elaborated on how the father, Gerald, came to America and became a plantation owner.
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm

she is not dead kakaze just retired
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby kakaze » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:28 am

chris.ph wrote:she is not dead

That's always comforting to hear! :D
kakaze

Postby chris.ph » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:17 pm

mind you she could be a zombie :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Ghost Writer...slaps self sillier and wanders off mumbling Buggerit!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Witch from Lancre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Read Dune many years ago and saw the original film as an adaptation just as we have to see Sky's DW film's. That was the one with Sting in it. I have that and the DVDs of Dune and Children of Dune. I am sure that there were a set of 7 or 8 books in the Dune Story which went through to the end but Audible only have I think four which cover the story. I thought that I read all these books, this long before the follow on from his family. I will not even consider buying or borrowing it from the library.

Unfortunately, as DW gradually took over my bookcase, I donated my Dune collection to a charity shop. I regretted it months later when it was far too late.
Witch from Lancre

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 pm

I have read Dune Messiah and Dune and Children of Dune (no.2 and 3 of his first trilogy). Unfortunately I haven't read Dune but I heard it was the best.
What does anybody think of the new ones written by his son?
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby miveli09 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 am

I never forget when I first read Dune as it was one the books that got me truely into sci-fi. Also had a large impact on me. I first read in in university and remember standing at Barking trainstation in the freezing cold and being transported into this amazing world. I read them all, including prelude and legend. Just need to read the lastest sequel that his son and kevin J anderson have written. Kinda of feel like rereading the Dune series since its been a long time since I read the books. :D
miveli09

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 pm

I've read the first book and I liked it a lot :D
I want to read them in order so I'm looking for Dune Messiah now :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books