Selling/Trading/Giving Away - No Digressions Please.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Selling/Trading/Giving Away - No Digressions Please.

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Auction ended.

Thanks! :D
Last edited by Catch-up on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch-up

Postby stormblade » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 pm

ok i retract my earlyer post on another thread i have now decided i wouldnt buy absolutly anything with T.P. on it $1500 OMG for a book i hate to pay £3.99 at tesco's
May God give me
Courage to change thethings in life i need to change
Strength to accept the things I cant
Wisdom most of all to tell me the difference
stormblade

Postby simone » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:00 am

Have an Isle of Vue stamp to give away, also heaps of older Discworld stamps.
simon e :D
simone

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:29 pm

stormblade wrote:ok i retract my earlyer post on another thread i have now decided i wouldnt buy absolutly anything with T.P. on it $1500 OMG for a book i hate to pay £3.99 at tesco's

Neither would I, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to turn my nose up at it if someone else was willing to. As someone else recently said to me, I need $1500 a lot more than I need a book worth $1500. :wink:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:44 pm

I just wanted to add, I actually listed that book for $200-$300 less than the last one went for. :D
Catch-up

Postby lawrenson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi,

yes, but there was 3 on ebay yesterday, and a few of the the booksellers off ebay have them between £250 and £400.

I will declare, and say I am interested in a copy, but I also think that prices of most collectibles are down this month on last month...

Cheers,
Karen
lawrenson

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:25 pm

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

yes, but there was 3 on ebay yesterday, and a few of the the booksellers off ebay have them between £250 and £400.

I will declare, and say I am interested in a copy, but I also think that prices of most collectibles are down this month on last month...

Cheers,
Karen

Thanks for that info Karen! I had the auction open for best offers. I'll just add that I list things on eBay not only for what I think they'll go for but also for what I would personally be willing to part with them for.

It was really my just my intention to make people aware of what I had available to sell or give away. If anyone is interested in making an offer, I would be happy to consider it. I would be happy to consider offers through pm. I'm not interested in publicly debating the prices I've chosen to list things on eBay for.

I thought this would be a helpful thread for people to list their things for sale/trade/give away. However, if someone reads this and worries that they'll be stuck defending what they've asked for something, then I don't know how likely it will be that they will want to participate. We have a similar thread on the CA forum that works beautifully. Perhaps this wasn't the best choice for a thread here - which I'm totally ok with I'd like to add! :)

No hard feelings at all. :D I just don't think it's useful this way.
Catch-up

Postby lawrenson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi,

I don't think anyones accusing or anything. The market sets the price.
If it helps, another copy had just finished on £274

I didnt notice one go for £1000ish , but I can believe it - Ebays a weird place sometimes.

Just wish I'd bought it when I saw it for £30 when it came out ....

Cheers,
karen
lawrenson

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:18 pm

No! I didn't think anyone was being accusatory. Really! :D

However, my intention was just to give people a place to offer stuff. To post and say that my asking price was outrageous, or that others have gone for less in the past isn't really constructive for the idea of the thread. You're either interested in it at that price, are willing to make an offer, or not interested at all. Discussing it on the thread bogs it down and may make the seller feel as if they have to offer an explanation (which I did).

I think it works well on the other forum because that primarily started out as a collectors forum where people were swapping, selling and giving things away from the start.

It's totally ok if it doesn't transfer well! No worries! :D
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Guys, I don't want to sound heavy about this but if people post things for sale here I think that any comments about price should be kept to PM or email.

For that purpose I'm going to mark this thread "No Digressions".

That means that if you have anything you want to sell, you post the details here and if anyone is interested then they contact the seller to discuss price, delivery or anything else.

Any posts here should not be replied to. I've known threads like this on other sites to get out of hand due to arguements in the thread and I really don't want to see that here.

So if you have something you want to sell then go ahead and post the details here, but please don't post anything else here.

Finally - any purchases made here are between the seller and the buyer and nothing to do with this website. Please do not complain to us if the sale falls through for any reason.

Tony.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby stormblade » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm

very sorry had not ment to be a slate on catch-up mearly a shock of the price people would pay for a book

again very sorry
May God give me
Courage to change thethings in life i need to change
Strength to accept the things I cant
Wisdom most of all to tell me the difference
stormblade

Postby Quilpusha » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 am

. . . . it never ceases to amaze me the prices people will pay for 'stuff'. Some time ago, I sold all of my DW stamp collection, so understand better than most the large sums of money that some items fetched. But also, I have to say that a number of 'deals' were done through the anonimity of the PM facility, and those were a real surprise - large sums that people preferred not yo admit publicly to paying.

I visit auctions in the real world, and have seen what happens when two people with the funds want the same item. Nothing surprises me.

Personally, I am always happy to see an old friend profit on his - or her investment. :D
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby rentawitch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:49 pm

I have all the unseen university versions of Terry's books which have been issued so far I believe. These are all in excellent condition and many of them are i understand not generally available now.

If anyone is interested in any of these books please IM me.

I also have a pair of crystal champagne flutes in their original padded box. These were a limited edition to celebrate the marriage of Verence and Magrat.

I am basically boracic lint at the moment and need to sell some of my Discworld collection.

:(
If you don't know me, I believe people here from the discworld stamps board do and may be prepared to vouch for my honesty if not my sanity :)
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:23 pm

No worries at all Stormblade! Thanks. :D

I'd be happy to vouch for Rentawitch, I've traded with her in the past.

And, if anyone would like a sampling of the DW stamps, just pm me, I'd be happy to give some away for free. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

I have a Discworld Jamboree first day cover here.

Thanks! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Next

Return to The Broken Drum