American cover on ebook version of Unseen Academicals :-(

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Dotsie wrote:Bringing this back to a slightly lighter note, maybe the luggage's little vanity cases grew up to be suitcases, so no running off occurred. And I'm not really sure if male/female applies to the luggage anyway (although my suitcase is definitely a girl :D she's got butterflies on her)

OOOHOOOH OOOH yeah, make-up bags, extra-small carry-ons, yeah, I like that idea. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:but the parental abandonment aspect you were mulling with is wot sent the Loony Tunes Twins (that's me an' Tina naturally) into overdrive :roll:

And the Luggage is definitely the bloke so yet again we agree on something! :twisted:

Yup, Yup, Yup, willing to own up to that and probably will in the future.

BUT Jan has taught me that "spanking" even metaphorically, is not good for ANYONE. :D

:lol: well I have another theory along the lines of merciless tickling Tina, but as I am unfortunately extremely ticklish I don't think I should pursue it too hard with the balance of probabilities being that I'll end up being the ticklee rather than the tickler at some stage :oops:

Did we see the US cover yet? Not that I think I need to as, on principal, the US has no real grasp of proper original football or even much awareness of the roots of the game they play in rugby - but then that is a sport for manly gentlemen so I suppose Allowances Must Be Made.... :twisted: :wink:

Having got lost in that analogy I should hastily explain that of course by definition the US cover is built on sand and can only sink in comparison to the cover made for a nation that has been a bastion of the sport since ancient times 8) :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Here you go. :D

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chuckie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:27 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote: :lol: well I have another theory along the lines of merciless tickling Tina, but as I am unfortunately extremely ticklish I don't think I should pursue it too hard with the balance of probabilities being that I'll end up being the ticklee rather than the tickler at some stage :oops:

As someone else who's also extremely ticklish, I've found that the best form of defence is ATTACK. You know you will be tickled so get your tickles in first. :lol: :lol: :lol:
chuckie

Postby bikkit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 pm

When are we getting your Thief of Time theory? We've been waiting for days.

oops. Ive forgotton it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Awwww! *gives BIKKIT a lephant to help her remember* :D

Thanks for the visual Tony - do they all think they're in goal or are they all perchance Argentinian? Except the Librarian and Death obviously... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 pm

I like the UK cover a bit more than the US. I'm not very fond of either. But a book should never be judged by it's cover :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Dotsie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:46 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Thanks for the visual Tony - do they all think they're in goal or are they all perchance Argentinian? Except the Librarian and Death obviously... :lol:

'Snot Death, it's Hix's assistant (Charlie?)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby CJDobs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:27 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The thing is, the Luggage doesn't make it into the team - it's considered too homicidal. So as it's not in the team, it shouldn't be in the team picture --- should it? :wink:

Maybe not. One of small things I felt missing from UU was

Small Spoiler

The final XI is never fully named - unless I missed it on first sitting? I thought Terry could have had a lot of fun with that particularly with the positions played/personalities etc. F'rinstance, Rincewind would be a Sweeper (albeit facing the wrong way) and Ridcully would be a a Centre Half - no question!

Take nothing away though, this is an awesome book and I loved every page of it! Just felt the football jokes weren't capitalised on but I suppose we can leave that to Soccer AM . . . .

p.s - Vetinari in a Referee jersey did for me as well, bit of a Red Herring - as is the shirt itself - no Soccer ref wears stripes (artistic licence and all that).
CJDobs

Postby Zephyr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The important bit is the bit between the covers. :wink:

Yes! Thank you! Give that man a cheroot.

That being said, as an artist I've always hero-worshipped Paul Kidby and have had good luck finding his covers and work in the used bookstores around here. If I see a Josh Kirby UK-edition DW book that I don't possess, I'll pick it up, but I don't get near as hop-from-one-foot-to-the-other excited as I do for Kidby's work.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:47 pm

For those of you who know absolutely zero latin (like me :lol: ), this is what Zephyr's signature means;

''There has been no great wisdom without an element of madness''

PS I googled it! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:30 pm

poohcarrot wrote:For those of you who know absolutely zero latin (like me :lol: ), this is what Zephyr's signature means;

I must be extremely wise then. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm going to start coming in to work with my pants on my head so they'll all think I'm a genius. Or sign me off :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Dotsie wrote:I'm going to start coming in to work with my pants on my head so they'll all think I'm a genius. Or sign me off :lol:

I used to tell my work colleague that I am misunderstood so often, that I must be a genius!
He replied that being misunderstood doesn't mean that I'm a genius - only that I'm inarticulate!! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Zephyr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:28 pm

poohcarrot wrote:For those of you who know absolutely zero latin (like me :lol: ), this is what Zephyr's signature means;

Fun with Latin! :lol:
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -Seneca
Zephyr

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels