Audiobooks

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:43 pm

I've got Thud, but haven't listened to it yet.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Thud! is the only unabridged Pratchett book that I have and it's really good. Stephen Briggs does an excellent job on the reading. There are bits that send a shiver down my spine every time I listen to it. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:53 am

Unfortunatey, mine is the abridged version by Tony Robinson, it was given to me as a present for Christmas last year. I guess the person couldn't afford the unabridged version, they left the price on it too. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Abridged vs un

Postby aichtay » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:38 pm

I've got to argue again here, the abridged ones read by tony robinson are FAB, I have almost the entire collection (Still waiting on 3). His voice is brilliant, he does a different voice for each character and as for characterisation he is fab. Yes they cut out some of the book which means that when you re -read them you find new and exciting things which you either missed the first time you read it or subsequently forgot when listening to Tony.
Aichtay the Wizzard
aichtay

Postby Tiffany » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm not sure if I did a wrong thing or not, but I saw recently in a charity shop 10 audio cassette books of Discworld books, they were the unabridged versions.
I didn't buy them as the assistant couldn't guarantee they all worked, nor was the price reasonable, considering they were tapes not C.D's. They wouldn't reduce the price if I bought all either, so I passed.
Apart from the fact I didn't have enough money on me anyway, not for all 10, I did think at £3.50 each they were rather expensive. But I do wonder if I did the right thing though.......................
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:54 am

I don't think £3.50 each is bad, but when you're buying all 10 it gets a bit expensive. I would have had to pass though as I no longer own anything to play tapes on :(

I've been listening to Going Postal lately, and I was just thinking that Tony Robinson wasn't so bad when he suddenly changed the voice of Mr Pump from something like a troll (slow & deep voice) to one of the Smash aliens (1970's robots that don't like peeling potatoes for all you young 'uns)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tiffany » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 pm

I suppose if there had only been a couple of the cassette tape books, Dotsie, I would have bought them, no problem, but no way could I chose just two out of them all. I am still in two minds about not getting them though. :( :(
As the shop was in a town not close to me, we were just visiting at the time, I couldn't go back to see if they still have them, sadly. :(
I do still have a cassette player on my radio/C.D. player.

I haven't got Going Postal audio.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:05 pm

You could always see if your local library could get the audio books for you to borrow. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Tony, that isn't the same as owning them at all :D Guess I'll have to save for the CD's or get em as presents, ones I've not got that is.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby MoRt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 am

i remember my dad putting these stories on for me when i was alot younger

and since reading this topic i have been keeping my eye out for them
its always good to bring back old lost memories ( only the good 1s though :D )
"Dont drink and Drive get HIGH and Fly "
MoRt

Postby chris.ph » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:26 pm

i was going to suggest something illegal then but i ll be a goodboy 8)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby mspanners » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Audible.co.uk

15 quid a month gives you 2 credits to download any of their books, I have been filling in my Audio book gaps... down loaded Sorcery and Pyramids unabridged this month............. or you can buy them full price one at a time off their site. I have downloaded them in Ipod format but they have other formats that you can use.

The books are out there P2P networks but I would point out that is piracy and I for one would like to support Mr Pratchett by getting His books legally.

Some of the Radio shows can be down load or listened to on line if you are prepared to search around the web via radio stations.
mspanners

Postby Tiffany » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 pm

I shall do it very legally & buy the audio books one at a time on C.D :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Previous

Return to Discworld novels