Pyramids Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:43 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Does anyone think that Terry is parodying the British Royal family when Teppic does his tour of the embalmers/model makers/pyramid builders?

Definitely. I think that it also fits in with my earlier point about the book being about sticking with tradition beyond all reason. I remember the furore (back in the eighties or nineties I think) when Prince Charles broke with tradition and criticised archetecture for being too modern and prefering the old stuff. If I remember correctly the press, the public and parliament all became involved in the debate about Royal interference in matters that 'do not concern them'.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

:lol: We like our Royal Family NOT to have opinions.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm

i think phil the greeks opinions are hysterical :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Well his mouth is big enough to keep putting his foot in it.,but some of his gaffes are funny.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kakaze » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37 am

Doughnut Jimmy wrote:Science is not a religion, if you accept theories unquestioningly you are not being scientific, the point of science is that the knowledge it provides is constantly changing and all theories could be disproved.

Science is a method, no theories. Theories are one of the products of science. People often get theories and science confused, kind of like switching the cross and the god. ;)

As a method, the scientific process is easily used as the basis of one's daily life.

That being said, I will not hijack this thread any longer. :twisted:

chris.ph wrote:i think phil the greeks opinions are hysterical :lol: :lol:

Who's "phil the greek"?
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am

kakaze wrote:

Who's "phil the greek"?

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh.

His comments have been pretty well recorded. Unlike Bush, his gaffes seem to be deliberate. :roll:

This picture says it all: :lol:

Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

You can't help but wonder how they got all those medals :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:34 pm

For services to finding a cure for RSI (repetitive strain injury)? :shock: :P

All that waving and shaking hands has to take its toll... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I saw a book today about Cambridge undergraduates climbing the town and university buildings which reminded be of the young assasins. I reckon the assassins had it easy though these nutcases dragged old fashioned photographic equipment up with them :shock:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby kakaze » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
kakaze wrote:

Who's "phil the greek"?

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh.

His comments have been pretty well recorded. Unlike Bush, his gaffes seem to be deliberate. :roll:

Are they worse than some of the things Dan Quayle has said?

My current favorite is:

Dan Quayle wrote:Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement.
kakaze

Re: Pyramids Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby NekoNinja » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Concerning the ending of the book:

It says Teppic and Ptraci kissed, so does that mean that Teppic decided to stay with Ptraci? All it seems to say is "Then they kissed in a fairly chaste fashion, insofar as camels are any judge. A decision was reached."
NekoNinja

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi NekoNinja! Welcome to the site. :)

My reading was that they split. Teppic went off and did his own thing and left Ptraci (his sister) to rule the kingdom.
Tonyblack

Postby NekoNinja » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:30 am

Tonyblack wrote:Hi NekoNinja! Welcome to the site. :)

My reading was that they split. Teppic went off and did his own thing and left Ptraci (his sister) to rule the kingdom.

Thanks.

Unless I've missed something, it seems to me that he went back to the kingdom (she called for him back.)

'What will you do?' shouted Ptraci, leaning over the rail.

Teppic bowed.

'And none of that,' she snapped.

'Don't you like being king?'

She hesitated. 'Yes,' she said. 'I do-'

'Of course you do,' said Teppic. 'It's in the blood. In the old days people would fight like tigers. Brothers against sisters, cousins against uncles. Dreadful.'

'But you don't have to go! I need you!'

'You've got advisers,' said Teppic mildly.

'I didn't mean that,' she snapped. 'Anyway, there's only Koomi, and he's no good.'

'You're lucky. I had Dios, and he was good. Koomi will be much better, you can learn a lot by not listening to what he has to say. You can go a long way with incompetent advisers. Besides, Chidder will help, I'm sure. He's full of ideas.'

She coloured. 'He advanced a few when we were on the ship.'

'There you are, then. I knew the two of you would get along like a house on fire.' Screams, flames, people running for safety .

'And you're going back to be an Assassin, are you?' she sneered.

'I don't think so. I've inhumed a pyramid, a pantheon and the entire old kingdom. It may be worth trying something else. By the way, you haven't been finding little green shoots springing up wherever you walk, have you?'

'No. What a stupid idea.'

Teppic relaxed. It really was all over, then. 'Don't let the grass grow under your feet, that's the important thing,' he said. 'And you haven't seen any seagulls around?'

'There's lots of them today, or didn't you notice?'

'Yes. That's good, I think.'

You Bastard watched them talk a little more, that peculiar trailing-off, desultory kind of conversation that two people of opposite sexes engage in when they have something else on their minds. It was much easier with camels, when the female merely had to check the male's methodology.

Then they kissed in a fairly chaste fashion, insofar as camels are any judge. A decision was reached.

You Bastard lost interest at this point, and decided to eat his lunch again.

It ends here and doesn't say if he leaves again. After that it just talks about Dios.
NekoNinja

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:52 am

No, I think it's fairly clear that he intends to go. We don't know what he's going to do - neither does he, but it seems that now he has a sister, he'll be back to visit her.

He's basically breaking the cycle of what has gone before. Putting someone in charge who isn't a living god, letting her be advised by people who will let her do things her way. He's handed the responsibility to someone else. :)
Tonyblack

Postby engineeringsimon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:07 pm

I loved the opening scene in "Pyramids" so much that I used it for inspiration in writing some music. I tried to include some wall climbing, running along rooftops, and missing the plank that someone removed.

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/5ad5d4fbfdaca21d1e9e1b4a5e4701e0e583b86a
Here is a Soundcloud link for just the audio. http://soundcloud.com/engineeringsimon/assassins-test-nf

(NB: This is a repost into a more appropriate section than the Broken Drum)
engineeringsimon

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels