Next Moist book and thw watch.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Next Moist book and thw watch.

Postby mspanners » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 am

Hinted at the end of Making Money is the idea that Moist may be lumbered with the TAX collectors job, sounds good but dose anyone know that release date for the book?

I am also missing my fix of New watch books, need to know what is happening with the Lives of Vimes and Co..........when's the next Watch books due? Anyone ? 8)
mspanners

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:01 am

As far as I know Terry is working on Unseen Academicals at the moment but the progress is slow because he is doing so much promotional stuff to do with Alzheimer's Disease.

With this in mind I wouldn't expect anything soon!
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 am

Yes, I think we may have a while to wait yet - presumably Terry is also going to write the fourth Tiffan book as well. :)

Terry announced Unseen Academicals at the Clarecraft event way back in 2005, so these things take time.

As to new books - I'd rather have one book coming out every now and then rather that Terry trying to do too much. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am

Well Darn and Poot, I was looking forward to a new Watch Book.
----ing ell , hope He has plans for the ----ing watch in the ----ing near
----ing future. Pardon my Klatchian........ :twisted:
mspanners

Postby RACKU » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 am

Oh, yes! XD
I must say that the stories with Moist are my most favourites. Can't wait!
RACKU

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 am

I don't know about that... I'm reading Making Money at the moment and have to say that it really is not one of my favourite books. Going Postal was a lot better, but I'm sort of dreading another Moist book.

Sorry. :?
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:49 am

Well, the good thing is that you can go back and start re-reading the Watch books in order from Guards! Guards! on--and I promise, you'll find new things (both humorous and thought provoking) in each one.

I have to agree with Tony, having just finished re-reading Making Money. I thought Going Postal was first rate, but frankly I hope he doesn't ever do another Moist book if it's no better than the last one. I think he needs to switch characters again, if he wants to stay with an Ankh-Morpork setting. Actually, he hasn't written a Watch book, per se since Thud!, but The Truth and Going Postal and Monstrous Regiment provide scope for using Vimes and at least part of the watch-though not in the primary role. And I suspect that may be what comes next--not a tax book. However, there are two others that have already been semi-announced, as Tony mentioned, so it's going to be a while.

I just hope that he is able to keep writing, even if it's slower because the work he's doing for Altzheimer's research is so terribly important.
swreader

Postby carllota » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I cant believe your all like this about Moist i think he was lovely and you guys have a place in the graveyard already for him! I wish he would do another book about de worder he has become a bit of a background character at the moment but terry has sooooo many to choose from now and with nation out i'm sure there will be new fans with even more demands on him.but anything he writes i'm sure we will all rush out and buy what ever it is! :lol:
If the number of mad people out number the sane people who is to say who is mad?
carllota

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:57 am

Somebody on another board said this about Moist and I'm inclined to agree. It's not enough for Terry to keep telling us that everyone likes Moist, we as readers have to decide that for ourselves. :)
Tonyblack

Postby swreader » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 am

carllota wrote:I cant believe your all like this about Moist i think he was lovely and you guys have a place in the graveyard already for him! I wish he would do another book about de worder he has become a bit of a background character at the moment but terry has sooooo many to choose from now and with nation out i'm sure there will be new fans with even more demands on him.but anything he writes i'm sure we will all rush out and buy what ever it is! :lol:

I didn't say I didn't like Moist-- in fact he is the one redeeming feature as far as I'm concerned in Making Money, but the book as a whole I have a problem with. I would like to see Pratchett develop another new character if he wants to do a tax reform book. I do think that it has been most interesting to see AM from the point of view of others than the Watch. But I don't think he can go much further with either de Worde or Moist as central characters--but that's my opinion.

Actually, I'd like to see a new book with a predominant woman character who is not part of the Watch. I found Arabella much less interesting or well-developed in this book than in Going Postal. Now we know Pratchett can write strong and interesting women of all ages--but he doesn't seem to be able to put them in AM. There are fascinating women characters in the Witch series and in the Tifany series, and interesting women in Monstrous Regiment. But when it comes to AM, they get shoved off the stage. Wonder why?
swreader

Postby coppertopchopperhopper » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:43 pm

I liked 'Making money' it was a good read... i just enjoyed 'Going Postal' more.

Perhaps because Moist was a new character, or perhaps it was the stamps and the pigeons and the con... or not... There was just something infectious about that first Moist book, but i will be looking forward to seeing his returen (if he makes one)

So there's definitely a new Watch book and a new Aching book still to come?
I do hope he's not over doing things, but I can't wait to see those on the shelves! :D
"Show us yer Knickers!"
coppertopchopperhopper

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Making Money suffers in some ways (in my opinion) because it is effectively a sequel to Going Postal - in fact it is more of a sequel than any other books in the Discworld series - not counting the Tiffany ones.

With a sequel the reader will always compare the original and where the original was interesting because it was setting the scene, a sequel takes it pretty much for granted that the reader knows the backstory.

That leaves a rather large hole in a sequel and (again in my opinion) Terry tries to fill it with too many things. These's too much happening in Making Money. :)
Tonyblack

Postby rentawitch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 pm

the funny thing is.. even the books I didnt think i liked first time round have won me over now. Small Gods and Jingo are amongst those.

I am longing for more Tiffany because of the cast you get with her....

Unseen Academicals I have a feeling is likely to be less about football than about the nature of fandom and Terry has lots of 'fandom' to draw on!!

Raising Taxes. I will be interested to see what happens. I suspect we will get lots of Vetinari and he just gets better and better!! :)
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

Postby Annebn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 pm

I agree that those of Terrys books you don't really like first time usually get better when you read them again. For me it was especially the case for Monsterous regiment, whereas the two you mention Renta (Jingo and Small Gods) were among my favorites right from the start.
Annebn

Postby TheMole » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:20 pm

:D I don´t know much about that...
I didn´t like Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum, and I still don´t like them..( LaL for elves being too much violent and CJ for that disgusting business about village of Escrow)
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Next

Return to The Broken Drum