hogswatch presents

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Beth » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:46 pm

I feel very strange not decorating the flat for Christmas. I will be helping to decorate my son's house where I'll be over the next three months but Mike will be here with no Christmas decorations. The upside is no tree for the small cat to climb and tear apart. I will hide Mike's gifts here and there in the flat all wrapped and then send him maps at Christmas.
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Catch-up » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Pop bubble wrap?!? :shock: No!! Send it to me instead! I'll put it to good use.

Wanted to decorate this weekend, but it's just not going to happen. :( I'll have to be patient and wait until next weekend.
Catch-up

Postby Beth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 am

Well, we had a pretty good holiday season here. It's been odd getting used to being at home and also being a guest in my son's home but it's been great for the most part. Lots of laughing and we all get along just fine. And there's cats. I haven't been very productive in that I have my canvas and supplies all set up to start the big Granny painting but haven't started it. The kids have gone away to a big swing dance competition weekend so I'm on my own. Truth told it's a bit creepy. They only moved into the house they're renting a week or so before I got here and so they haven't put the homeliness into it and so with them gone and just me and the cats, it's a little odd.

Let's see, highlights of the festive season. I was invited to my first Hannukah dinners as my son's girlfriend is Jewish. It was quite lovely. They celebrate Shabbat on Saturday starting Friday evening and on Friday evening which was Christmas day (I cooked) her mother quietly lit the Shabbat candles and everyone said Shabbat Shalom and Merry Christmas and hugged. I thought it was very sweet.

Alex and Samantha have finally gotten me to sort of overcome my fear of couple dancing and I've been going to beginner swing dance lessons on Sundays. They've only been dancing a year but they're already teaching. I am really bad currently but getting marginally better all the time. I think I'm in it for the clothes, seamed stockings, shirtwaist dresses and victory rolls. FUN!

Other than that just taking care of my mom and visiting with the kids. I've never been away from Mike this long, almost six weeks and I don't like it very much. He's coming next week for a meeting and will stay a week for which I'm very grateful. Then six more weeks (ish) and the air should be clear enough in Delhi to return. Hope everyone had a jolly holiday season. :)
"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!" Eubie Blake on turning 100
Beth

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:22 am

Hi Beth!! I was wondering how you were. What is it about the air in Delhi that keeps you away?

I am glad that you have had fun here. Good to see you again. :D
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 am

Good to see you again Beth! Happy New Year! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:41 am

nice to see you back beth :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi Beth, Image I see you have be conspicuous by your absess,wont be long till your in Brum. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Beth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I know Dug! I'm so excited.

The air in Delhi during the winter makes it the second most polluted city in the world. The particle pollution held down by the fog makes the air so thick you often can't see across the street. I have severe chronic asthma. Twice in two years I've ended up in the hospital during the winter. This year I decided to get out. Some days the air is so bad it's even hazy looking down the hall of my flat. It's at emergency levels almost every day.
Beth

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Oh my. Well, for the time that you are there, I would suggest a HEPA air filter in your apartment. You would be amazed at the dust one picks up over here. I have one on the dryer and it keeps all the lint dust from being blown all over the house. My ex-husband smoked too and it kept that down at bearable levels in our two story house.

My sister has severe allergies and uses one in her bedroom in Rhode Island, and here in Illinois and it works amazingly well. I strongly urge you to get one before you leave and replacement filters too. The pollution during the rest of the year cannot be doing you any good either.

Sorry to sound like an Harbinger of Doom, but I know that those help a lot. I like you and wish you the best of health.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Beth wrote:I know Dug! I'm so excited.

The air in Delhi during the winter makes it the second most polluted city in the world. The particle pollution held down by the fog makes the air so thick you often can't see across the street. I have severe chronic asthma. Twice in two years I've ended up in the hospital during the winter. This year I decided to get out. Some days the air is so bad it's even hazy looking down the hall of my flat. It's at emergency levels almost every day.
YOU COULD BOTTLE IT AND SELL IT as a reminder to those who have been to Ank-Morpork for a holiday. :wink: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:YOU COULD BOTTLE IT AND SELL IT as a reminder to those who have been to Ank-Morpork for a holiday. :wink: :lol:

Feegles! :lol: :roll:

Humidifiers and air 'hoovers' do work pretty well, but as you'll be moving back home soon I can see why simply not being there is sensible. Hope the time goes swiftly and you can all be reunited soon Beth :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Beth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 am

We've got a HEPA air cleaner in the master bedroom and the computer room. Still, one has to go outside once in a while and it doesn't take much of it to make someone sick.
Beth

Postby Tristan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:53 am

Hi Beth, happy new year, hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

If you have time, could you tell us something more about India and what living there is like? It would be really interesting, at least, for me! :D
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum