Audiobooks

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby snapcase72 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:29 am

I have 5 of the audiobooks read by Tony Robinson, and I love 'em, even though they are abridged. I love the Discworld novels, and I've been a fan of Blackadder since the mid-80s, so the combination works well for me.
Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!
snapcase72

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 am

:D Hi snapcase! Smoke me a kipper! :lol:

This all comes down to personaly choice. The abridged version can be fun if you've read the book and know the whole story and, for example, if you are on a long car journey and want something to relieve the boredom.

I also enjoyed Blackadder and Tony Robinson's character. :)

There's classical music station I listen to over here called Classic FM and Tony Robinson has done several very funny programs about the lives of classical composers and a book called The Complete Guide to Classical Music. But - there is an advert for this book on the station that gets played quite often and it drives me nuts!

It has Tony saying: "If you've never even thought of buying a book about classical music, then the Classic FM Guide to Classical Music is just what you've been waiting for!"

Now call me sillyif you like, but if I'f never even thought of buying a book on classical music, why would this one be just what I've been waiting for? It makes no sense at all. I don't know if Tony wrote the advert, but it makes me cringe every time I hear it - so I'm blaming him. :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the site. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby snapcase72 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:59 pm

I agree, I always read the books beforehand.

All radio commercials make me cringe. There should be severe punishments for the people who make them - the scorpion pit would be to good for them!

How do you want them kippers? Well or medium smoked?
Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!
snapcase72

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:36 am

snapcase72 wrote:the scorpion pit would be to good for them!

Unless it's already got mime artists in. :wink:
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:55 am

I have some of the unabridged books, Nigel planer is very good and Steven Briggs is ok too. :)

The unabridged ones are poor in comparison, Tony Robinson is not very good and I find His voice grates on my nerves after a time. :cry:

Shame because as a character actor I think He is good.The Black Adder shows were 50/50 the Adder and Baldric.

Celia Imrie did one 1 book as far as I know (Equal rites) and that was unabridged. 8)
mspanners

Postby Ezekiel000 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

The unabridged audio books need to be republished as at the moment you can only get them second hand from £50-300 which is insane. Although even the rrp was a bit to high I think.

Celia Imrie did the first 3 witches books and they are not good, where as Nigel Planer or Steven Briggs doing female voices is fine. But Celia Imrie doing male voices grates on my nerves.
Ezekiel000

Postby windle poons » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 am

The unabridged audio books need to be republished as at the moment you can only get them second hand from £50-300 which is insane. Although even the rrp was a bit to high I think.
They are all available in physical form direct from Isis,the publishers at www.isis-publishing.co.uk/ or as downloads from Audible.co.uk
I hope this helps
Bob
windle poons

Postby Ezekiel000 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks.

Will the Science of the Discworld books ever be available as audio books?
Ezekiel000

Postby Jason » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:11 pm

I would think that would be extremely unlikely. Normally (not always) the audio books are released at or around the same time as the novels. Nation for example is available from the US publisher HarperColins on unabridged audio read by Stephen Briggs - the last I heard (11th September) Stephen hadn't read it for ISIS in the UK.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tiffany » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm

I have several audio books of the Discworld series. Thgough I did buy the abridged, not knowing anything different. :( I like Tony Robinson. They are still good to listen to.
I have all the books as well, which I read over & over, most of them in hard back, as I am gradually changing them from the paperback editions.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby mspanners » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Get the unabridged ones if you can, you are missing out on soooo much more. Better readers and characterisation (A part from celia imrie, sorry but Her style of reading is not my cup of tea) and full the books. 8)
mspanners

Postby Tiffany » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:08 pm

When funds permit I will try to do that.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 pm

I am currently listening to The Wee Free Men, for the 2nd time. I do like Tony Robinson, I think he is very good at the different voices.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Some of his voices are so quiet I have to keep turning the volume up & then down again, which puts me off when I'm running!

I've just finished listening to Monstrous Regiment & I could barely hear Maledict(a) and Angua.

Which reminds me - how come Angua didn't have a huge problem like she did with Sally?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Listening The Truth read by S briggs....... 8) V good.
mspanners

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels