Was Terry Pratchett brought up a Catholic?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am

Dotsie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:c. You don't believe in a God = atheist

That's not what you said first time, smartypants. So if a person believes that the flying teapot is a god (not a God - that's different), then they are not an atheist.

For an atheist, you are more obsessed with God than any christian I've ever met :roll:

:roll: Gotta agree with Dat.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby theoldlibrarian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 am

an atheist believes that no god exists and therefore if they are right there is no entity of any kind.
but an agnostic may not believe in a god it does not mean they actually believ there is no god/entity.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 am

My sister is a Christian and I'm an atheist, so we get round it by sneering at agnostics.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 pm

My brother's a Christian too. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Dotsie wrote:My sister is a Christian and I'm an atheist, so we get round it by sneering at agnostics.

:lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm

We call my eldest brother Ned Flanders. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:24 pm

When I went to elementary school we had bible classes. One day my grandmother asked me what I had learned in school, so I told her that we had learned that god created the earth etc.(everything really) She was furious :lol: She told me it was all a lot of rubbish and not true and that there was no god and that I shouldn't believe it. So there are no Christians in our family (Granny made sure there weren't any :lol: )
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Her second name wasn't Weatherwax by any chance? :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Tonyblack wrote:We call my eldest brother Ned Flanders. :lol:

"Okeley dokely! Todd, you start up fire and Rod, go down the basement and bring up the Discworld books!"

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Her second name wasn't Weatherwax by any chance? :lol:

:lol: No but it starts with a W :shock: what a coincidence :wink:
Actually she´s more like Nanny Ogg, in some ways at least :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:33 am

Dotsie wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:c. You don't believe in a God = atheist

That's not what you said first time, smartypants. So if a person believes that the flying teapot is a god (not a God - that's different), then they are not an atheist.

For an atheist, you are more obsessed with God than any christian I've ever met :roll:

Yes he is isn't he :wink:

God(s) with or without an upper case G or a plural is/are different from belief. You could fervently believe the world was flat as per official church teachings and not in any god and be an atheist - in the latter parts of the 15th Century this was a common belief on the flat earth front in fundamental Christian circles though it may not have been a v. good idea to go around banging on about it. But it was still perfectly possible.

A-the-ist requires a total lack of the-ology. The=god in greek - I think Wiki and most dictionary type publications on or offline will agree with that as in a-moral being a person without any concept of morals good or bad.

I am a very lapsed Catholic. I used to win prizes for theology when I was 9 but I rejected the idea of a Christian Old Testament god at 8 years old in favour of a New Testament god on moral and philopsophic grounds instead. I went to Catholic junior and senior schools and saw abuse from teaching staff who had taken orders of both sexes (purely verbal and mental derogation, nothing that nasty although this was back when teachers could still thump kids for very little reason) and I rejected the religion and administrative practices (but not the morals) of the christian faith of any stripe.

I don't want to believe in any god now but the morals stayed with me. I don't know if there is a god(s) out there, but I can't be sure sometimes. I'd like to say I'm an atheist but I'm probably agnostic most of the time which means I'm hedging my bets I suppose Dotsie? :lol: I do believe in Hell though. :evil: That's here right now and you can believe in that, but heaven's here too sometimes excdept that's almost too good to be true. In the end though I don't need to have a god to believe in or use as a panacea to take away or mitigate the things that go 'wrong' in my life or even to blame for everything that happens. I was taught to think my own way out of any messes I got into and find ways to accept or at least ignore things that I can't change (like this stupid government :P ).

Belief is whatever gets you through - you don't need to have gods though. Terry's absolutely right about that when he says they/he/she/it needs you though. Be your own god in that case! :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:24 am

theoldlibrarian wrote:Terry Pratchett is not strictly speaking an Atheist. He is a member of the Humanist association of Britain(although Im not sure thats there official name).
He doesnt condemn the idea of there being a god so much as the human traits that we apply to them. This comes up in the Discworld novels with the horsemen of the apocalypse.

From what I could make out, (according to WikipediaImage) Terry is listed as a Distinguished Supporter of the British Humanist Association but this gives no clue as to whether he is a member or not. If you wish to see a list of other famous Humanists then Click Here.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Batty » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Belief is whatever gets you through - you don't need to have gods though. Terry's absolutely right about that when he says they/he/she/it needs you though. Be your own god in that case! :wink:

Are you suggesting that you have to live in a case if you want to be your own God? ... :!: :?: :wink:

I have a fridge magnet that states: 'Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.'
Will the chocolate melt if kept in a case with no temperature control?

P.S. Jan - did you tunnel out or escape your incarceration by other means?? :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:57 am

Poor old agnostics always get abuse from everyone, life of pi is particulry criticasl of agnostics, if you havent read it, read it.
anyway i think we've had enough talk about agnostics and athiasts and such.
All praise BlindIo!
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:40 am

On my last census form I put 'Omnian' as my religion. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett