Waterstones edition of Nation

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Waterstones edition of Nation

Postby ColinEdwards » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Am I the only one who dutifully trooped down to Waterstones yesterday to buy their 'Limited' black cover edition of Nation (I had an early proof which is rather tatty now, so need a proper hardback...) only to find thhat it doesn't actually come out until November 1st, not October 1st as shown on the home page of this site?!

Didn't I feel silly!

With only my memory to go on as the website wasn't available yesterday to confirm whether I had originally had remembered the information correctly, I am REALLY happy to find out that not only is the website back (Yay!) but the information was - and still is - incorrect. Its not me! For once...
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:16 pm

What a drag! Sorry you wasted a trip. Borders over here often seem confused about release dates.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:25 pm

:( Sorry you had a wasted journey Colin. I had a wasted journey trying to get the new Bernard Cornwell book that came out yesterday. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Aries » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 pm

I also tried to pick up a copy yesterday from the same shop that told me the book would be released in October. Oh well looks like i'll have to use some of the p-word and wait until next month, in the mean time we feel silly together. :oops:
Aries

Postby Jason » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:46 am

I don't think the P-word really works for Discworld fans does it..
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 am

Not if the P-word is Pratchett. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ColinEdwards » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:00 pm

Many thanks to the kind person who changed the release date details for the Waterstones Nation book on the home page.

Waterstones told me that the only difference between 'their' book and the standard hardback will be the cover section - which is great because I really love the illustrations in the standard book.
ColinEdwards

Re: Waterstones edition of Nation

Postby Philippa » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:09 am

ColinEdwards wrote:Am I the only one who dutifully trooped down to Waterstones yesterday to buy their 'Limited' black cover edition of Nation (I had an early proof which is rather tatty now, so need a proper hardback...) only to find thhat it doesn't actually come out until November 1st, not October 1st as shown on the home page of this site?!

Really sorry about that. :oops: We'd been told it was "on" 1 Oct but is, in fact "from" 1 Oct in the stores. Should be there now but probably worth a call to check they've got it before you go there. Waterstones online have it on sale 1 Nov.

And, yes, it's exactly the same as the main edition but with a different jacket. Limited and numbered. Not signed by the man but if you get to one of his events...
Philippa

Re: Waterstones edition of Nation

Postby catrine » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Philippa wrote:
ColinEdwards wrote:Am I the only one who dutifully trooped down to Waterstones yesterday to buy their 'Limited' black cover edition of Nation (I had an early proof which is rather tatty now, so need a proper hardback...) only to find thhat it doesn't actually come out until November 1st, not October 1st as shown on the home page of this site?!

Really sorry about that. :oops: We'd been told it was "on" 1 Oct but is, in fact "from" 1 Oct in the stores. Should be there now but probably worth a call to check they've got it before you go there. Waterstones online have it on sale 1 Nov.

And, yes, it's exactly the same as the main edition but with a different jacket. Limited and numbered. Not signed by the man but if you get to one of his events...

Oh that explains why they have no idea

You can order them from the web site
Describe the snake
"no legs - seamed to be mainly tail"
catrine

Postby ColinEdwards » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks for the update - I'd better check again with my local Waterstones. Fortunately in Norwich we have two branches; unfortunately in Norwich we have LOADS of eager fans!

Also found out today there is a new Marcus Sedgwick book on sale*, so a visit to Waterstones is now a must! (Looks at clock... Hmmmm!)

* I will keep on promoting Marcus Sedgwick until he gets the recognition he so richly deserves. If you loved Nation you will love his work too...
ColinEdwards

Postby Annebn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:48 am

I'm so glad I decided not to collect the books- other than a copy of each to read of course! It would be impossible to get all those special editions when not living in the UK.
Annebn

Postby Jinx » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Yes I'm glad I'm not a serious collector too. I only buy one copy of each edition. :lol:
Jinx

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Ummmm i think my numbers for the colour of magic runs into about 12 different editions so far so yes collecting is a hell of a thing and damned expensive. :(
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:29 pm

I almost got caught up in it. Bought two versions of Wintersmith, the regular and the slipcased. Then I bought one of the new hardcover editions of Good Omens. Maybe at some point in the future I'll buy hardcovers to replace my paperbacks. But, there's no point in doing that right now since I have nowhere to display my books. :(
Catch-up

Postby Aries » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Just picked up a copy of the book got number 1876 i wish Waterstones would make up their minds about release dates. :?
Aries

Next

Return to The Broken Drum