Alzheimer

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Ermintrude » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi all,
new here, I was devestated and horrified to hear the turn that Terry's illness has taken - my thoughts and hopes are with him and his family.
- Renfield - you may have something there, B12 and calcium under/overload can have severe effects and may happen in someone who eats normally if something is out of whack in their body.
-Doctors don't always know what's going on - they misdiagnosed me for 8 years - so I've been down that road.
-I have a suspicion that TP may have an autoimmune condition that is causing his problem; (see book Autoimmune Epidemic - rent it from the library, I'm not trying to flog it at all or connected to author). When you have autoimmune your whole body can get inflamed, and if it is inflamed then pressure put on one area can decrease circulation - if you sleep on your back (does TP sleep on his back?) this could hit the back of the head as the weight of the head itself pushes down on it.
-therefore maybe TP should try using a very good mattress that gives but supports with a very soft squishable feather pillow - it can't hurt and has no side effects ; maybe also try sleeping on the side.
- might want to try acyclovir which seems to have an unknown impact on autoimmune ; also might want to get thyroid levels checked - even if they are in normal range, but low, it can cause decreased circulation; try to get an MD to let you try a one week run of low thyroid meds
- should stay away from toxic chemicals as much as possible

well, that's all I've got folks - sorry to post so long and kind of non sequitor (sp?) my first time on here, but I consider it kind of an emergency, and I hope that either TP or his family keeps an eye on the forum.
Ermintrude

Postby Ermintrude » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

with your indulgence..
just one more thing - there is a fiction book called "The Memory Artists" that is about a son trying to help his Mother with Alzhiemers - and I seem to recall that though it is fiction that it contains quite a lot of groundbreaking research in it.
Also a darn good read - again, no connection between me and the authors etc.
Ermintrude

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Ermintrude are you going to come back on the forum or is this going to be your only post. :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Welcome Ermintrude! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 am

welcome to the site ermintrude :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby renfield » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 am

hello me again.
on my last post. i talked about miss-diagnosis.
i feel I need to clarify.
scans for altzhiemers shows "holes" in the brain. similar "holes" are present in the brains of people suffering from severe vitamin B12 deficiancy.
a seperate test for vitamin B12 in a number of people diagnosed with early onset altzhiemers has shown them to have a severe deficiancy in this vitamin.
in these cases a course of B12 starting at 9,000iu rising to 40,000iu has been shown to bring about a full recovery.

in other studies of people with altzhiemers, it has been found that they have high levels of aluminiun in the brain.
it advisable to not use any aluminium or non-stick cookware and use a reverse-osmotic filter, to filter all water.
this is mainly being used as a preventative measure, but it can't hurt to try it even after diagnosis.
renfield

Postby raisindot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 am

renfield wrote:hello me again.
on my last post. i talked about miss-diagnosis.
i feel I need to clarify.
scans for altzhiemers shows "holes" in the brain. similar "holes" are present in the brains of people suffering from severe vitamin B12 deficiancy.
a seperate test for vitamin B12 in a number of people diagnosed with early onset altzhiemers has shown them to have a severe deficiancy in this vitamin.
in these cases a course of B12 starting at 9,000iu rising to 40,000iu has been shown to bring about a full recovery.

I really hate to have to comment on this, but as someone who has worked (as a volunteer) with Alzheimer's patients and who has several close relatives suffering with the disease, I need to say that there have been a number of studies conducted by reputable scientific researchers to see if elevated B12 treatments can reverse the effects the Alzheimer's. In every study, it has been shown that while B12 treatments may have certain physiological among Alzheimer's patients, it does absolutely to improve or restore their cognitive capabilities. It is wishful thinking at best.

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby leinad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I just signed up today. Terry Pratchett is my favorite author, and of course I have been very concerned about his Alzheimer's. I happened on an interesting article in Science Daily today, and thought I'd pass it on to the forum. I suppose that there is no near term application to human patients, but who knows?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 193217.htm
leinad

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Welcome to the site leinad and thanks for the link. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Welcome leinad. Unfortunately, I do not know too much about the science surrounding possible cures - there seems to be a fair number of different theories. However, I'm still optimistic for the future!
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi leinad, welcome to the forum, that report has also been in the papers over here as well.

Pop over to the introduction thread and say hello there.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 am

Welcome to the site leinad and thanks for the article :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby chris.ph » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 pm

welcome to the site leinad :)

there was an article in the paper saying that mobile phone radiation helped dementia sufferers :?:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:56 am

For anyone who missed it the first time round, the TV channel BLIGHTY (Sky 534/Virgin242) are showing Terry Pratchett: Living with Alzheimer's - Part One, on Monday 11th January at 8:00PM. Part Two is being shown the following day - 12th January also at 8:00PM.

For those without Sky or Virgin click on Blighty TV which may or may not (I don't know how these things work) be able to download the program to your computer. Maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can provide a link or information of how to watch the program for those outside of the UK?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

A different perspective

Postby Runes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Okay, before I go on, I need to point out that I by no means intend to step on any toes in here or that I am aiming at bringing down anyone else's opinion, views or feelings on the matter of Terry's illness.

As with everyone else in here, I also hope that Tez checks up on this page occasionally and sees what we all write - You're an absolute bloody legend mate, and it cuts us all, deeply, that you wont be writing for us throughout all eternity.

Right. What is happening to Terry, in my mind, is completely and utterly outrageous! It is wrong, it is unjust and it is simply a universal load of bollocks. If he were somewhat older and whatnot, then yeah, fair enough. Such is life (and death). The old bugger had a fair stint blah blah etc. But no. he isn't that bloody old and it should not be happening at all. It just ain't right. Why is it that these horrible and ridiculous afflictions always seem to happen to the best of us? Occurring well before said person's rightful amount of time in this world? I'm done with the upbeat and positive outlook on such. I'm really bloody mad. It is exactly this kind of thing that puts me off the idea of there being a greater and all powerful spiritual manifestation (i.e GOD), kicking back and calling the shots. If it turned out that this were, in fact, the case - I'm coming gunning for you, you infinite bastard!

Terry had a huge impact on me. Not only on the quality of my literature intake, but also to my core outlook of that big ol' nasty world that we live in. Very much due to his books, I have learnt to relax and even laugh at the grim reality that is the nastiness, fear, confusion and hate that exists within so much of todays society. He has proved to me that sometimes the rules CAN be broken, and you CAN get away with it (e.g. his writing format). He gave me books that i could, do and always will read over and over.

And here's a thing Terry, mate, there is only one set of books that i don't mind my big brother stealing from me, and they are oddly all of my favourite ones. Your books, of course (yeah, bro's a big fan too). Big bruv has spawned a whole tribe of boys, and I probably wont have any of my own. So, I rest easy knowing that all of those books will undoubtedly be passed onto said tribe of lads eventually, and through such, you will live on.
Runes

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett