Ask Stibbons - Technical Questions

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ask Stibbons - Technical Questions

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:13 am

It struck me that asking Casanunder or Ridcully (in the other threads) questions about the Internet/computers and so on, would be a waste of time - so we needed a place where you could ask all those tricky technical questions ----- who knows, someone here might even be able to help. :shock: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:54 am

Someone mentioned the other day that they couldn't post a fancy link, like this one, so I thought I'd try and show you how.

Here goes!

1. Copy the link. This is the easy bit. You highlight the link, right click your mouse button and from the menu you select copy.

2. Paste the link. Next you need to type up the message read to insert the link. Then click the URL button as indicated.

Backspace the cursor so it is inside the square bracket and then paste the link. Next move the cursor one space forward so it is outside the square bracket and type the message you want to appear as your link. Finally, click the URL* button.

3. Posting. At this stage and before you post, you need to 'Preview' to see if you've done everything correctly. Hit the Preview button at the bottom of the posting screen and the result should look like this.

If everything is correct then hit 'Submit' and you fancy hyperlink should be working just fine. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:29 am

Excellent! A technical qvestions forum :twisted: .
On another note, why, Tony, are you still using Internet Explorer? :?
Quark

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:06 am

:lol: I sure am and very happy with it too. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 am

Noooooo! Google Chrooooome! :cry:
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 am

Technical problems eh? Maybe someone could find an avatar I can use? Since this is not my computer I don't have any images-programs here and I can't resize anything, and anyway I'm not sure what images I can use or not. For example, can I use THIS image and it's possible to cut it and resize it and have it the right size?

p.s.Thnaks Tony, I didn't know how to do that :D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13 am

Resizing images in Paint is a bit fiddly, but if you don't have any image-editing programs handy it'll have to do.

Most image types are supported by forums, but if in doubt I advise you to save your image as a JPEG (.jpg), which is almost certainly supported. Now, the TP forums have a maximum limit of 80 pixels by 80 pixels (80 x 80). If your image isn't that size you'll have to resize it.

Right. First step is to download your image. I can't access yours for some reason, so I'll use the Garry's Mod logo as an example.

Step 1: Download your image. If it's just plain off-the-internet, you can just right-click it and select 'save as', or your nearest equivalent. If it's copyrighted, you probably won't be able to. >.>

Step 2: Once you've downloaded the picture, open it in Paint. Down the bottom of the windowyou'll see the number of pixels your cursor is from the top-left-hand corner. Therefore, if you put your cursor to the bottom-right-hand corner of your image, you'll see how many pixels across and down it is.

Step 3: Use the rectangle-selection tool to select the whole image. Once you've got it, go into the 'image' menu, and 'stretch/skew'.

Step 4: This is the annoying part, which really makes you wish Microsoft updated their Paint program. If you go into the 'stretch' boxes and change the value, you can make it bigger or smaller; 50% will make it half the size, 200% will double the size. From here, tweak the values and resize it a few times until you get it down to 80 x 80, or slightly below. Check how big it is by the aforementioned cursor-in-the-bottom-right-hand-corner. Careful not to rush it, as Paint won't restore pixels once you've removed them; it'll just blur them painfully. Once you have it down to 80 x 80, grab the corner of the 'canvas' and move it to match the edge of your image. Save it!

Step 5: Back to the profile options. Click the button to 'upload avatar from your machine', then choose your newly resized picture. Hopefully that should work.

On the other hand, if it's the right size already, you can ignore everything of the above and just copy the link to the picture and paste it in the profile options.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures. My rubbish wireless internet router is playing up again and I have to hold it up and wave it around a bit just to keep connectivity, let alone upload screenshots :(
Quark

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:29 am

Is there any way Paint can cut the picture?, or I'd better change picture? This is too big and resized I can't see what it was anymore
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 am

EDIT: Just looked at the actual picture. This is quite different, and it's probably best if I just cut the picture. Rather than write a new set of (very similar) instructions...

How's that? The link (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5593 ... avatar.jpg) needs to be copied into the field in your profile options that says 'Upload avatar from URL'

On the other hand, if you want to do your own cutting, I can tell you how to do that.
Quark

Postby Morty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Crys and Quark,

The last thing I want to do is to interfer but as I was taught how to upload picures by Tony I see this as nothing more as passing on his help I've cropped the picture down to 80 x 80 and hosted the picture on my Image Shack account.

In the above code you will see a space between .jpg and [IMG/] if you close up that gap and then copy the link into your profile it will work as your Avatar.

Hope that explanation is clear and I hope I've not offended either of you by trying to help out.

If you want another picture hosting let me know and I'll send you the link.

Best wishes
Morty.
Morty

Postby Morty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi again,

I really like the Avatar that Quark has done for you Crys so I've also hosted that picture for you on my account. Again you need to close up the space to make the code work.

Hope this helps.
Morty.
Morty

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 pm

You don't need the [IMG] brackets for your avatar, I'm quite sure.
Quark

Postby Morty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Quark....
The picture below is the code Image Shack gave for for the Avatar you made for Crys.

This what happens when I take the [IMG] off the code.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5593 ... avatar.jpg

Having said that I'm no expert and will bow to your knowledge. As I said Tony taught me how to upload pictures and I'm far from being an expert. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Best wishes
Morty.
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 pm

You don't need the [IMG] tabs for the avatar, only for actually posting pictures on the forum. :wink:

By the way - if you want to post a code to show someone how it should look without the code taking effect, use the Code tabs. :)

Code: Select all
[IMG]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5593/crystalmarjavatar.jpg[/IMG]
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Neat! I never knew that was what they did :)

Also, Morty - Sorry, I should have made myself a little more clear. You don't need the IMG brackets while actually putting the avatar into your profile. Otherwise, yes, you do need them. And before anyone asks, you need them for images in your signature too.
Last edited by Quark on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quark

Next

Return to The Broken Drum