Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:49 am

Lady Vetinari wrote:And I would say I would love a Watch book with the Medusa woman as a main character ...

That'd be a bit silly coz everytime she looked at the troll, she'd turn them into stone! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forum bob.sather :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby nobbylessobligay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:38 am

i still havent finished it but i'm nearing the end...
i almost freaked when i heard the dean left, but then as i kept on reading well now i think its great that the dean is archancelering else where (sorry about my spelling) their rivalry is just halarios my favorite part the mention of the empty two seats with the impresion of the deans butt,, it was ssoooo sad and funny XDDD
it's nice to know that they've found a good use for rincewind, if i had a rincewind working for me i'd dress him in strange outfits and chase him through the corridors too
glenda's awsome too, tp makes the best girl characters
nobbylessobligay

Postby Danny B » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 am

I loved the whole book in general. I think this easily my favourite non-Watch/Witch DW novel, so far.

Probably my favourite sequences were (of course) "Aho! The Megapode.", since it made me laugh uproariously. Also, the gradual realisation of Trev Likely that continuing to run with the crowd he was in would eventually drag him down and probably ending up in the Tanty or dead in an alley. It's something that strikes a personal note with me, since it mirrors my own youth, in certain respects (Alas, The Beautiful Game wasn't my own route out. Oh, how I wish it had been.).

Everything about Glenda's development as a person was superbly crafted. In Interesting Times, Terry mentioned the "Whips in their heads", being the true indignity inflicted on the Agatean people. As someone from the tail end of the last generation to whom the term "Working class" actually meant something besides "Not rich enough to afford a really big telly", the awakening of Glenda was beautifully realised. The "Crab Bucket" still holds true for many people who are my age (30) or older, even today.

The climactic football match was brilliantly written as well. I've played a bit of Sunday league football and can tell you that it's every bit as chaotic, brutal and bone crunching as the Academical's first game. Right down to the part about anyone who stands out as being exceptionally talented getting nobbled.

Not being from a discriminated against minority, I can't comment too deeply on Mister Nutt's search for Worth. As someone from the outside looking in, it certainly looks like the kind of complex someone from that situation would acquire.

It was also wonderful seeing Ponder's subtle enjoyment of the mistakes Adrian Turnipseed was making in the building of PEX, littered throughout the book. I enjoyed that immensely. Almost as much as Lord Vetinari's detached reaction to being completely arseholed after the banquet.:D
Danny B

Postby Lady Vetinari » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:17 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Lady Vetinari wrote:And I would say I would love a Watch book with the Medusa woman as a main character ...

That'd be a bit silly coz everytime she looked at the troll, she'd turn them into stone! :lol:

She wears sunglasses ... besides all trolls have to do is vegetate in heat for that!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby chris.ph » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:40 pm

wouldnt the medusa look turn a troll into a fleshie :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 am

I believe UA is the first TP book with a gay character (correct me if I'm wrong). The joke about rowing made me laugh. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 am

poohcarrot wrote:I believe UA is the first TP book with a gay character (correct me if I'm wrong). The joke about rowing made me laugh. :lol:
There a whole bunch of comments about 'back passages' in the book as well. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 pm

chris.ph wrote:wouldnt the medusa look turn a troll into a fleshie :lol:

Good point, I shall ponder it. I am off to deal with the paintball field and get our customers happy and settled in. :lol: Money, money, money, money.... MONEY. Woot love dem mid week games!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Quark » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:33 am

I really liked the way Ponder had assumed the un-official position of running the university :D . The football match at the end (And Mr De Worde's written commentary) was probably my favourite bit. Nutt is an excellent character.
Quark

Postby mgw 42 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Pretty much enjoyed it all, but specially pepe, and the part where he gave Andy Schank the half lemon :shock:
Damn, im sure i got THAT wrong
mgw 42

Postby lyn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:32 am

bob.sather wrote:Does anyone know whether "bledlow" is a real (but obscure) word or a word that TP has coined? It sounds too English not to be real, somehow. (If there's a joke in it, please tell me.)

I just recently read Interesting Times again and in it TP mentions the bledlows and in a footnote says they are a University Porter.
lyn

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 am

Ork!ork!ork! I love the analogy that the "fierce,evil" ork is just a little old soccer coach.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

Postby sheilaj » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:31 am

Lady Vetinari wrote:I liked the Orc ... didn't I make that clear? Besides, I find Tolkien a bit lazy as a writer - he lumps everyone into one basket ... I believe in Redemption ... and ol Nutt is a wonderful example of a Leopard changing his shorts 8) !

And I would say I would love a Watch book with the Medusa woman as a main character ...

sorry but I think that the point of the story (or one of) is that orcs by nature don't have shorts. The unpleasant humans who made them forced them into the rather unpleasant shorts that people think of as Orc.

Too many good bits in the book to list (as usual)
sheilaj

Postby sheilaj » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 am

poohcarrot wrote:I believe UA is the first TP book with a gay character (correct me if I'm wrong). The joke about rowing made me laugh. :lol:

Do the "ladies" of the "Galah" who Rincewind meet in Fourecks count?
sheilaj

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books