Book Signings

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Magrat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome Tony

I can't actually remember what I said to Mr Pratchett (I remember calling him that and him saying "Terry, please") Still too weird calling by his first name seeing as I don't know him.
I just mumbled lots of random vowels and constonants at him and tried to not pass out :lol:
Does anyone else believe their dreams are actually an alternate reality?
Magrat

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:16 pm

I sometimes wonder if the scene in the department store from Hogfather was based on the signings. I'll bet there are a lot of 'nk'you' people at them. :lol:

Without the naughty piggy of course. :wink:
Last edited by Tonyblack on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Magrat wrote:Visiter is the English spelling (which has been droppped out of our dictionary as a lot of other english spelled words), Visitor is the American

Thanks Magrat, this is really interesting - I love to hear things about the evolution of language, it reminds me of the evolution of DNA (there are even papers written on this - would this qualify for an Ig Nobel or is it sufficiently sensible?).

I know some people get upset when the English language changes, but I'm not one of them. Bring it on!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:21 pm

The English language is always changing because it's a living language and that's how it should be. :)
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:36 pm

wot about txt speak :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:39 pm

TBH, if that's how everyone writes, then that's how the language progresses - there isn't really an element of choice in the matter!

The dictionary only changes to reflect the way the language has already changed.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:47 pm

It's only going to be a matter of time before people actually say the word 'lol' in everyday language. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Magrat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's only going to be a matter of time before people actually say the word 'lol' in everyday language. :roll:

I used to work with a girl that does that already!!!!
Does anyone else believe their dreams are actually an alternate reality?
Magrat

Postby Catch-up » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:28 pm

A friend was recently telling me that one of her co-workers had to be spoken to because she put her emails and even her reports in "text-speak", with no punctuation, no capital letters, etc. Apparently, it never occured to her to do it any other way!! :shock: As far as I'm concerned that's language devolving not evolving. :(
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Catch-up wrote:A friend was recently telling me that one of her co-workers had to be spoken to because she put her emails and even her reports in "text-speak", with no punctuation, no capital letters, etc. Apparently, it never occured to her to do it any other way!! :shock: As far as I'm concerned that's language devolving not evolving. :(

Oh dear - it's the end of the world as we know it. :(
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:25 pm

i know i brought this one up but ive got a really bad habit of not using capitals and punctuation im sorry 2 say :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Just you wait for the typewriters of the future. The kids are getting into training for them now. They'll be hand held and thumb operated. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

ive watched my 18 yr old neice text and u cant even see her fingers move . i think tony might b right on that one :)
chris.ph

Postby Blackwolfdreaming » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:55 pm

A propensity for silence
Is spreading through out the land
We don't talk
Just txt
N nvr ndrstnd
Last edited by Blackwolfdreaming on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever noticed that, just when you think your shot is about to sail into the back of the net, some one moves the goal posts
Blackwolfdreaming

Postby steeljam » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Just you wait for the typewriters of the future. The kids are getting into training for them now. They'll be hand held and thumb operated. :lol:
With predictive text facilities you could actually believe someone who say "Well the book just wrote itself really."
steeljam

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett