Short Stories

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 am

My god i just looked on abebooks and theyre over $600 there and up to $2500 :shock: i know they were ltd edition but thats silly, im just glad i got one when i did, anyway i digress, just in case you need the details here they are.
The german edition which is the same as once more with footnotes ISBN: 978-3-492-70155-6 called Der Ganze Wahnsinn. storys
The_Discworldaholic

Postby LadyL » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:10 am

The_Discworldaholic wrote:My god i just looked on abebooks and theyre over $600 there and up to $2500 :shock: i know they were ltd edition but thats silly, im just glad i got one when i did, anyway i digress, just in case you need the details here they are.
The german edition which is the same as once more with footnotes ISBN: 978-3-492-70155-6 called Der Ganze Wahnsinn. storys

This is the amazon link http://www.amazon.de/ganze-Wahnsinn-Storys-Terry-Pratchett/dp/3492701558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218531976&sr=8-1

available there for only 20 Euros :shock: indeed a great book even in german - perhaps I should think of offering translations :roll: :wink: :D
LadyL

Postby windle poons » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:27 pm

The Times Higher Education Suppliment website also has a Discworld short story that ive not heard of anywhere else but the title escapes me at the moment I will post it when i get home
Bob
windle poons

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:05 pm

windle poons wrote:The Times Higher Education Suppliment website also has a Discworld short story that ive not heard of anywhere else but the title escapes me at the moment I will post it when i get home
Bob
Thanks Bob - sounds interesting. :D
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:49 pm

The_Discworldaholic wrote:My god i just looked on abebooks and theyre over $600 there and up to $2500 :shock: i know they were ltd edition but thats silly, im just glad i got one when i did, anyway i digress, just in case you need the details here they are.

I just checked to see what they sold for on eBay and it's going for $1700! :shock:
Catch-up

Postby windle poons » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:32 pm

As promised http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... ode=195991
The story is called A Collegiate casting-out of develish devices and was published in 2005
Enjoy
Bob
windle poons

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Ah yes, I've read that one. It's very good. :lol:
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Colin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Colin Smythe's website has a very useful index of Terry's published works, including the short stories ...

LOOK HERE
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Casaninbetween » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:44 am

I just translated Troll Bridge into Swedish.

It's a little hobby of mine... :oops:
The World's Most Mediocre Lover
Casaninbetween

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 am

Casaninbetween wrote:I just translated Troll Bridge into Swedish.

Do you usually read the books in English or Swedish? And if in Swedish, what are the translations like?

I have a Dutch friend who has read the books in Dutch but prefers them in English. :)
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby chris.ph » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:40 pm

i think mspanners could easily write a discworld short story if his news reports are anything to go by!
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Casaninbetween » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Casaninbetween wrote:I just translated Troll Bridge into Swedish.

Do you usually read the books in English or Swedish? And if in Swedish, what are the translations like?

I have a Dutch friend who has read the books in Dutch but prefers them in English. :)

I read them about equally much in both languages; it's mostly down to chance, whether it's translated or not when I see it on the bookshelf. I like both versions since both have advantages; the English ones usually have some difficult words that I don't understand, but on the other hand, Pratchett's beautiful use of language get a bit lost in translation. A lot of expressions just don't roll of the tounge when translated into Swedish. And of course, the numerous puns have to be changed completely or just ignored. Because of this I think I prefer the English versions, even though I like the Swedish ones as well.
Casaninbetween

Postby Casaninbetween » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:18 pm

Is it OK if I put up the translation of Troll Bridge on my blog? Considering copyright laws, etc.?
Casaninbetween

Previous

Return to Discworld novels