Merry Xmas Everybody - the schmaltzy Xmas video thread

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 am

Sorry Pooh I’m not getting drawn into a difference of opinion of what you consider to be music and what I think it is on a Christmassy thread.

If RATFM have sold a Million records then I’ll gladly hold my hands and apologize to you and them. I’m sure it will come as no surprise to you that I won’t be making it a Million and One :lol:

I will also admit that Pink Floyd did sell out when they reverted to using the shock factor on The Final Cut :twisted: . I, along with several thousand other diehard Floyd fans groaned when they released the single :twisted: :twisted: just as we did when ‘’Another Brick’’ was released as single :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Time to back off and agree to disagree I think, we are never going to reach middle ground on this issue and for the final time I’ll admit that’s more my fault than yours :roll: . I’m a stubborn old git who will only listen to Musicians that I grew up with. I don’t understand modern music and have absolutely no interest in it. There are very few groups left from my era and in the state I’m in at the moment I wouldn’t put money on me outliving any of them but if I do and my last remaining favourite shuffles off before I do that for me will be the day the music died :cry: .
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:34 am

Disagreement over. :D

Back to the thread.

Hankies out for one of my fave Xmas songs. Mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ8-UT8ojrk
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 pm

On reflection I was a bit hard in my attack on music I don’t understand :oops: so I’m grateful to Pooh for calling a truce 8)

To show how grateful I am I’ve been out and got some mistletoe and I’m waiting for you Pooh to make up with me properly :lol: :lol: :lol:

To join in with getting back to the Christmas spirit my offering features the amazing voice of Darlene Love and Phil Spector’s unique Wall of Sound.

It doesn’t matter what time of year it is whenever I hear The Wall of Sound I always think of CHRISTMAS
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I thought "RATFM" was very funny. :lol: :lol:

(and The Final Cut is my fave Pink Floyd album)
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Weird thoughts keep coming into my head at the moment. Uncontrollable thoughts and grotesque images so unspeakable it’s frightening.

As soon as I’d written RATFM this SUPERSTAR from the 1980’s came into my head. I have a horrible feeling I’m becoming a very sick person :cry: :cry: :cry:
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 pm

:shock: :lol: Ratfink!

Morty - yes, you already are a very sick person indeed :roll: :P

Proper Xmassy song and vid
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:32 pm

This has nothing to do with Mariah Carey being absolutely drop dead gorgeous and I'm sorry but I've been doing the inserty thing ...... (making the long link into one word) all day and using my left hand to do it ....I'm too tired now but it is a cracking Christmas tune.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ymlnxMZkXA
Morty

Postby Cheery » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm

It says "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country." :x
I hate it when that happens! It's the bleedin' internet! It's suppost to be international! :roll:
Cheery

Postby Morty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:15 pm

Cheery wrote:It says "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country." :x
I hate it when that happens! It's the bleedin' internet! It's suppost to be international! :roll:

Sorry about that Cheery try this version.....Also features Johnny Depp....Not that interests me I'm a man you know :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHDdawSjLU
Morty

Postby Cheery » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Morty wrote:
Cheery wrote:It says "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country." :x

Sorry about that Cheery try this version.....Also features Johnny Depp....Not that interests me I'm a man you know :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsHDdawSjLU

It doesn't interest me, either :lol:
But the song's quite catchy, isn't it?

Thanks, Morty! :D
Sorry about that outburst before :oops: I was just so annoyed; youtube does this sort of thing all the time :roll:
Cheery

Postby Morty » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:10 am

As Christmas songs go I have to admit that I think it’s pretty good. It reminds me very much of Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound but I think you might too young to remember that sound Cheery :D

Have a listen to this http://fliiby.com/file/139046/gk8exy3nkx.html and you’ll hear a good example of a very unique style of music 8)

What outburst :D .......That wasn’t a forum outburst :lol: ...... I thought you made a good point and I’ve experienced the same thing time and time again. It’s very frustrating and as the word Sony was mentioned it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they didn’t have something to do with it :twisted:

Hope you have a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
Morty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:31 am

I was not keen on Spector but The Ronettes were ok in small doses .
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 pm

You might have a crap Xmas this year Morty , but I reckon it'll be a lot better than Phil Spectre's. :twisted:
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:57 pm

poohcarrot wrote:You might have a crap Xmas this year Morty , but I reckon it'll be a lot better than Phil Spectre's. :twisted:

Yep better than Phil Spector’s but not as bad as you think. My 3 daughters are grown up and live miles away so I’ll miss them for sure.

It’ll be my first Christmas without a very special Lady and the first one with the aftermath of a stroke but I have a lot of very good friends who will be around to support me.

There are a lot of people worse off than me as I’ve found out on this forum so I will be making the most of every minute. As far as I can see the only time I’ll be on my own over the entire festive season is Christmas day evening and as I’ve met some very nice people on this forum I’ll be having a look in and seeing if there’s anyone around.

And if the worst comes to the worst there’s always the 1972 Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show to watch on telly :oops: ......... Wanders off to find an Emoticon of a man jumping off a tall building.
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Aww! :cry: You can't do better than a M&W Xmas Special though Morty - especially if they have THIS on it

Anyway - need a Xmas hit but haven't got a Xmassy song? Just do what Frankie Goes to Hollywood did and hang a nice ballady love song onto a nativity-inspired kitsch-arty spoof video and no probs - straight in :lol:

It's a pretty crap video this but I think it's Holly Johnson dressed up as the virgin on the donkey.... Yeah I know - but really look at it and tell me it's not! If that's a girlie she hit every branch of the ugly tree as she fell out of it :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre