whats the worst present youve ever had

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

let's see, I was 12, I wanted to play Real Records (LP's) so I begged and begged for a stereo record player. My da was a cheapskate, I know the boys pressies of G.I.Joe's and accompanying fortresses were more expensive than my little one piece player that folded open. They got Tons of stuff to open. I just got the ONE thing I asked for. I never thought that they would be That Stingy. Even a Nightgown or Socks... I remember being so sad for weeks, and just leaving the present opening celebration, and sitting in my room sobbing quietly all day. It just seemed harsh, and still is a little scar on me soul. Pooh's pressie of me Granddad's pic is like a bandage and shall soon heal it! :D :wink:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:16 pm

kakaze wrote:The idea that we were expected, almost required to give gifts, just because of the date, really annoyed me.

Did that apply to birthdays too? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:let's see, I was 12, I wanted to play Real Records (LP's) so I begged and begged for a stereo record player. My da was a cheapskate, I know the boys pressies of G.I.Joe's and accompanying fortresses were more expensive than my little one piece player that folded open. They got Tons of stuff to open. I just got the ONE thing I asked for. I never thought that they would be That Stingy. Even a Nightgown or Socks... I remember being so sad for weeks, and just leaving the present opening celebration, and sitting in my room sobbing quietly all day. It just seemed harsh, and still is a little scar on me soul. Pooh's pressie of me Granddad's pic is like a bandage and shall soon heal it! :D :wink:

Tina, that is awful! Our rotten aunt preferred our oldest sister to us and didn't hide the fact. Her present to us reflected that. (((HUGS)))
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote: Pooh's pressie of me Granddad's pic is like a bandage and shall soon heal it! :D :wink:

:D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Trish » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:53 am

This is the meanest way I ever gave a present.

I like wrapping paper and tape. I have an evil sense of humor.

Christmas '95, when my daughter was just 3 mos old, my son (then 12) asked for Madden Football.
I pulled the "we're broke now" line and he pretended to understand.

At the goodwill, I bought 2 of the most broken-down 100-pc puzzles they had.
Inside each was, of course, the Madden Football games he'd asked for.

Christmas morning, Dan had only these 2 small boxes under the tree and opened them carefully.
Poor kid, he tried so hard to look excited, but put them down to open a present from Grandma.

Then he looked at me --like he knew what I was up to-- and shook each box.

Yep, I hid the Madden Football games inside the crappy, used puzzle boxes.

One year, I wrapped all his birthday present in tissue paper, taped each with duct tape and put them all in one big box. Completely taped with duct tape, of course. Took him hours.

Last year for Christmas, I got him nifty new wheels and tires for his car.
It would have been boring to just give them to him, so I said I wanted to use his car Xmas Eve while he was at work. Grudgingly, I got the keys.

Got the wheels & tires on, called and said I'd be late picking him up and, oh, was he annoyed.

I still have the pics on my cell phone of him standing there with his mouth hanging open gawping at his new wheels.
You would think he'd have learned.

Ok, that was 3 mean ways I gave presents....
Trish

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
we once wrapped up all the christmas presents in newspaper and brown paper 4 my mum cos we ran out of wrapping paper. It turned out to be a meatball/fishball maker that only gets taken out once a year for misc reasons.

And i know what dotsie's worst birthday present was. :twisted:
..I gave it to her.
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby janet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Trish wrote:This is the meanest way I ever gave a present.

I like wrapping paper and tape. I have an evil sense of humor.

Christmas '95, when my daughter was just 3 mos old, my son (then 12) asked for Madden Football.
I pulled the "we're broke now" line and he pretended to understand.

At the goodwill, I bought 2 of the most broken-down 100-pc puzzles they had.
Inside each was, of course, the Madden Football games he'd asked for.

Christmas morning, Dan had only these 2 small boxes under the tree and opened them carefully.
Poor kid, he tried so hard to look excited, but put them down to open a present from Grandma.

Then he looked at me --like he knew what I was up to-- and shook each box.

Yep, I hid the Madden Football games inside the crappy, used puzzle boxes.

One year, I wrapped all his birthday present in tissue paper, taped each with duct tape and put them all in one big box. Completely taped with duct tape, of course. Took him hours.

Last year for Christmas, I got him nifty new wheels and tires for his car.
It would have been boring to just give them to him, so I said I wanted to use his car Xmas Eve while he was at work. Grudgingly, I got the keys.

Got the wheels & tires on, called and said I'd be late picking him up and, oh, was he annoyed.

I still have the pics on my cell phone of him standing there with his mouth hanging open gawping at his new wheels.
You would think he'd have learned.

Ok, that was 3 mean ways I gave presents....

Hells bells! You're talking about the BEST presents you ever gave anyone!!
Should start a new thread but ....whatever.......I got my little daughter a new bike, WITHOUT stabilizers like her old one. Hid it at my parents' house until close to The Day when it magicked into my car boot and it stayed in my garage until Christmas Eve and, when she was asleep, it appeared in our living room for the morning of Christmas. When she found it, it was a very lovely moment and she had a great deal of fun before she outgrew it.........happy days :) No photos, sadly, but lots of warm thoughts!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby kakaze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 am

poohcarrot wrote:
kakaze wrote:The idea that we were expected, almost required to give gifts, just because of the date, really annoyed me.

Did that apply to birthdays too? :?

Yes, but not as much as Christmas. The gift traditions of Christmas and Valentines just seemed so commercial. Birthdays were more like "We're happy to know you".

Also, in our family we didn't actually get that many gifts on our birthdays (partly because they were just weeks after Christmas). We'd generally have a party with (home-cooked) cake, maybe go out for pizza or something.
kakaze

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 am

I read in the newspaper about a guy who went on holiday. When he came back, he found about a hundred xmas pressies from his friend who he'd left the spare key wiht. Turned out they were all his own things!! It took about 5 people 8 hours to pull the prank off. :lol: :shock:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby And » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:39 pm

I always wanted a Guinness Book of Records and the one year I thought I was going to get it, 1971,my Dad bought Leonard de Vries' Book of Victorian Inventions instead. A nice book, but rather bizarre. This year my granddaughter (8) asked for, and got, the GBR. Good for her!

There was also the year- c. 1984 - we all got legwarmers from Dad - my sister, sister in law, niece, daughter and me. The colour schemes were, um, different. Ok, hideous.
And

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:07 pm

on the repeat present score one of my mates gave us a wedding list so we got together and bought him and the blushing bride 17 toasters all exactly the same :lol: :lol:

plus we stuck about 20 alarm clocks in there house as they werent going on honeymoon until the next day. he wasnt to pleased with me :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby And » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:01 pm

That requires a special sort of evil genius, well done Chris.

On a similar theme many, many years ago I babysat for a couple going to an engagement party.

That week the local discount shop (Coleman and Morris in Richmond, N. Yorks) had a special on "crystal" vases at 50p a go.

The engagement party went well, I was told, apart from the fact that out of 25 presents to the betrothed pair, 18 were the 50p vases.
And

Postby janet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am

A few years ago in a village not a million miles from here, a couple returned from honeymoon to find their cottage front door and garden gateway completely bricked up by their (former?) 'best' friends. they weren't :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum