Discworld/Dreamworlds RP - Help wanted! (no need to join)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:34 am

Yeah come on over Angua - I might have a job for you pretty soon as I'm doing a rookie Watch werewolf too who may be a distant cousin of yours...

If you do want to join us in the preview (no obligation to stay) then just PM me with the username you'd like to have (doesn't have to be a fandom-related one) and I'll set you up and get the URL over to you - we could use a Scandinavian over there - 2 of my 'bestest' online RP friends are Danish in fact but aren't posting much yet :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am

Am going to be scarce over here and indeed on the threads over there too from this moment as we're hoping to be able to open fully to registrations on Saturday (or sometime over this weekend).

Big thanks to everyone over here who took part in the preview especially to chris and pooh (I mean that most sincerely - a lot of people appreciated the humour. You are still not banned and can drop in when you feel like it :wink: ) for contributions to RP hilarity :twisted:

We're now open for 'viewing only' to everyone so if you want to come over and have a look we're

HERE

Registrations will kick in by 10th August (if not the 8th) subject to various code tweaks :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Applied for an account. Just need a little bit of the p-word.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 pm

All activated Jason and should work OK on the password you signed up with now - if not then go HERE - is open to guest posting and I'll come and sort you out with a temporary passy so you can get into your account OK :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 pm

It worked. Will try to investigate more when I get the chance.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:08 pm

K folk's - something that might be of interest to some of you, especially if you're already registered on the site...

a written roleplay dice race through Ancient & Mythological Greece in the Mt Olympus Sky-Chariot Challenge
open to flying machine pilots from all over the multi-verse and indeed all of the trouser legs of time too...

So if anyone over here fancies playing a Discworld team (max of 3 people) crewing something like say - 'The Kite' or... the 'Potent Voyager' or even... Binky! then come over and have a look at the sign-up thread

HERE

I know people don't go for roleplay over here much but it needn't be that intense as all you really need to do is respond to the dice outcome as fully or as minimally as you wish - for instance you might get a dice call that states
"Your sky-chariot will take ages to repair so you decide to steal Pegasus - except he doesn't want to co-operate - miss a turn" To which your reply could be
The Kite's so knackered we decided to nick Perseus' flying nag... - except he had other ideas, kicked Carrot in the voonerables and then flew off. Went back to Kite and listened to Nobby yelling at the dwarf mechanics whilst everyone else flew off ahead of us. or something even shorter or longer depending on how you want to play it :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:42 am

We have a Halloween dice and trivia game just started tonight HERE so if you fancy something simple and fun (no roleplay at all just rolling dice and answering questions). Here's the board so you have an idea of what to expect...

Image accreditation from top left: Werewolf Heights ~ © 2005 Christy "Goldenwolf" Grand Jean; Dracula's Castle ~ xenomorphicdesigns.com (Vampire bat random Google); Orc Mountain: ~ Terragen and random LotR Orc image Google; Banshee Barrows ~ random Google image; Graveyard Ghoulies ~ © cheeky_Cheesa; Frankenstein's Castle ~ random Google image; Nightmare Worlds ~ Death of the Discworld © Paul Kidby; Board/grid ~ © Cluedo. All titles and manipulations by Jano.

then check it out and jump right in (non-members will need to register though - it doesn't hurt and you know an admin already :wink:)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

This is more of a NEWSFLASH!

Although the active population ain't too grand, it is reasonably stable and so we've decided that we're going to go ahead and start work on building 2 new 'single' World roleplay forums in the New Year and hopefully get them up and working by the Spring.

One of the new new dedicated Worlds will be *drum roll* -

Central banner image from Eric (cropped view) with kind permission of the Josh Kirby estate

The other new World may also be of interest to people over here - that'll be an Arthurian/Celtic Legends world. For this one we've got a good idea of the format we want to use/try out and so this is off-view for guests but if any DreamWorlds members over here want to look at and chip in with suggestions, you're more than welcome to do so as nothing's writ in stone so far. The planning thread(s) are HERE

For the new Discworld forum Lady Vetinari is working with me on that, but as we're both pretty much snarled up with real-life aspects just now and inspiration is not too buoyant, we'd welcome any comments by those of you who joined up with us on the DreamWorlds forum. You can find both new development forums in The DreamWorlds Hub planning area

Also, for TP forum people who aren't members but would maybe like to be involved in the early building phases of a character-based story-led Discworld forum - I'm looking mainly for suggestions for topics and what aspects of Discworld people'd like to see and/or play in. Normally I would have a developmental/planning area off-view for guests, but for December I'm going to keep a discussion thread open to guest posting so if any of you would like to contribute with ideas or comments on what work is going on then you're welcome to come over and put in your 2-penn'orth with no obligation to join up! :D
However if you do this then you'll be posting with no profile so remember to announce yourself - unless you want to be incognito :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:51 am

PEOPLE WHO LIKE ROLEPLAY :

JOIN JOIN JOIN

:D
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Quark » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd love to join your roleplaying forums ^_^, especially the Discworld one. So, er, I need to do what?
Quark

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Love to have an experienced RPGer join up - we need as many as we can get as we're still a lot echoey over here! :wink:

Just click on my sig icon and that'll get you to the forum menu page - do have a look around before you click to register - all the open RPG forums are can be guest-viewed and so can the Discworld planning threads (there's a poll in there too) and guests are able to vote and reply in those planning threads as we don't have too many Discworld fans on there yet to give us good informed feedback :wink:

If you do register then please remember to give your date of birth as requested as you're 14 I think you said? This is important as I need a reminder to put you into a non-adult grouping as we have some areas where we can't admit people below the age of 18 - it's the law so we can't knowingly dodge this aspect :roll:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quark » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:19 am

Just click on my sig icon and that'll get you to the forum menu page - do have a look around before you click to register - all the open RPG forums are can be guest-viewed and so can the Discworld planning threads (there's a poll in there too) and guests are able to vote and reply in those planning threads as we don't have too many Discworld fans on there yet to give us good informed feedback

Done!

as you're 14 I think you said?

Yup. It's kind of weird, of course, as I'd much rather get this whole adolescence thing over and done with; My brain far outstrips my age... usually.
Quark

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 am

You won't be the only one in that predicament Quark :wink: Trouble is some of our adults are far more like 14 yr olds than the real ones! :lol: *skips over to get your registration activated* :D

OK Quark - you can go everywhere now except for the adult zones (only a small part of the site). I won't be starting the Discworld forum build until the new year (unless I get v. bored after Xmas), so any comments or suggestions you want to make just post in one of the threads in the planning area or start one of your own in there.

The Broken Drum's still open but dormant just now ('twas just not the same without the Laskan Barbarianess pooh :P ) but I'll happily go back (I'm Granny currently looking after a HP clone :roll: which is rather tedious tell the truth and it'll soon spark up again if we have 2 or 3 people going at it again - chris.ph and Lady V are also in there too if it gets a shake :wink:

Enjoy - its one of those places that you have come back on here for a good dose of reality! :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:37 pm

UPDATE ON THE NEW DISCWORLD ROLEPLAY FORUM BUILD***

Some of you recently-joined members will most likely not have seen this so I'm on the plug again :P about my other home over on DreamWorlds, which is a laid-back recreational family-friendly site that offers v. broad chatrooms and discussion boards for any hobby, sport or leisure interest you feel like chewing the fat over

PLUS
A gi-normous multi-fandom forum to witter on about DiscWorld, Tatooine, Deep Space Nine, Landover, Narnia, Arakis, Darkover, Krypton - Gotham City or even the Wernham Hogg Paper Company's Office in Slough - any fandom you fancy gassing on about you can do it on here! For those who like to make their own adventures in their favourite realms you can also indulge in some textual roleplay (with or without dice) just using your own and other's imaginations :D

PLUS - NEW! (but for members only atm)

Possibly the only forum in the entire world where you can play RISK in 400CE Britain and ally with warrior and High King Arthur to trounce the nasssty Saxons, Irish and Picts(ies) and beat back the malevolent Morgaine (aka the Queen of the Elves on this board... :twisted: ) - for those who remember this is themed to be like Arthur, King of the Britons Harlech TV series (with yummy Oliver Tobias in title role) and/or Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle, not the recent Merlin BBC take... :roll:
Roleplay is possible but not mandatory and we are playing by only slightly adapted Risk rules so no real historical or RP knowledge is needed :wink:

As above this forum is being built as we go so is only open to members at present but we welcome new ones and in fact have a space currently vacant on the board at present if you fancy a go in the pilot game... 8)

PLUS - Our dedicated Single World forum of ARDA

Roleplay-oriented but lots more to do besides, with games, lore discussions, fan art and fiction and the possibility to play across the entire timeline of Tolkien's Arda.

***PLUS - A dedicated roleplay forum for the DISC
The last few posts before this I was telling you all about plans to build this. With the Celtic forum now up and running I can now turn my attention to this 'full-time'. I've had some patchy response in this from here and elsewhere so the pilot area is now closed to non-members so we can mess about with the build off-view largely, but I would like input from people over here whether or not they've joined now that we do some RP going on over here in the Toot thread.

I've no intention of luring people out of this forum or from Toot, as you all know by now that I play both boards a lot and regularly but this forum and DreamWorlds are different in emphasis and remit so there's room for both with absolutely no 'trodden toes' in any way. The roleplay experience for Discworld on DreamWorlds will be entirely different to what you can do on here as it's 'immersive' textual roleplay where you can invent your own characters and/or play Terry's as well (sort of as in Toot :P ), as well as more mainstream fan stuff if you want.

Anyway - enough! Because non-members can't see the embryonic DreamWorlds version of the Disc, I've renamed this thread so that anyone interested in making comments or helping out in some way but DOESN'T want to join can come in here and chat if they want, as well as those of you who can see it - in fact you lot can post in either place! :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:04 pm

Jan, I have applied . Looks fun!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

PreviousNext

Return to Games