Rincewinds Hat (The process)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Rincewinds Hat (The process)

Postby lynall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey everyone,

I thought i would document each piece i make and i got around to finishing the Rincewinds hat document last night.

I haven't done anything like this is years so can you guys please give it a read and tell me if it makes sense?

And please say if its interesting too! i hope it is :oops:

Oh and its a PDF file at the mo' by the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yuw2dtz2imz
lynall

Postby Morty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Lynall,

I would really like to open the file as I'm fascinated by The Hat. When I click on the link my Service Provider flags up this warning.

Virgin Broadband PCguard Warning -
Fraudulent Web Site Detected

You are attempting to connect to a
known fraudulent web site.
URL: www.mediafire.com/?yuw2dtz2imz
Do not submit personal information to this web site. We recommend that you delete any emails associated with this URL.

Do you know or does anyone else know if it's safe for me to ignore the warning and proceed.

Many thanks,
Morty.
Morty

Postby lynall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh no!!

Thats strange! I have used Mediafire for years and i have had no trouble with it ever :? I have actually put think on a gymnastic forum site i go on too and they've really helped me with it so i'll make the alterations and put it on a different site for you :)
lynall

Postby Morty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:27 pm

lynall wrote:Oh no!!

Thats strange! I have used Mediafire for years and i have had no trouble with it ever :? I have actually put think on a gymnastic forum site i go on too and they've really helped me with it so i'll make the alterations and put it on a different site for you :)

Hang on Lynall.......I'm sure it's just Virgin Media being over protective. Don't go to any trouble just for me I'm sure someone will come on and explain what's going off.

Morty.
Morty

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:27 pm

My computer didn't like it either. :shock:

It opened the link and then I got a warning that the site was "unsafe". :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Morty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:53 pm

I could go and open it on my neighbours computer.......We don't get on :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm

It maybe 'cos the format's in PDF which some ISP's and virus checkers dislike, especially if you don't have Adobe (Acrobat) Reader downloaded to your PC (Reader version 9.2 is free to download Here )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby lynall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:33 pm

oh no!

nobody download it! I'll fix it somehow :)
lynall

Postby Morty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:36 pm

10 out of 10 for persistence Lynall 8)
Morty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm

I did not have a warning,and zone alarm did not flash anything up.

I did not save to open it up with adobe.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Danny B » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:18 am

Just to let you all know Mediafire is a very safe site, which I've used a fair bit for sharing around PDF's and other small files myself on many occasions. Certain ISP's (Especially ones which have close ties to the record industry) have gotten into a very pernicious habit of flagging any sites known to be used by illegal filesharers* as "dangerous". Feel free to ignore that bit of corporate flannel, as it's more about keeping you away from the "dangers" of free music, films and what have you, than about keeping you safe from viruses.

For double safety, I downloaded the file into my vault and had a poke about in it. There's no malicious HTML, or nasty code stashed away in there. Just some very cool pictures of art in progress pasted into it.

Once again I say; nice work Lynall! :) It's always a pleasure to see an artwork progress from raw materials to finished work. Thanks for the insight, I only admire the work you do more for knowing the effort you put into it.

* I'm not suggesting that Lynall shares files illegally, or that the file linked to contains work copyrighted by someone else. Merely that some people who use Mediafire choose to do that. Lynall's work is very much his own, with his own digital signature on it and everything.
Danny B

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 am

Good morning DannyB. 8)

Like you, I'm an admirer of Lynall's work and in particular ‘’That Hat’’. To be able to work in such precise detail on a piece that small leaves me in awe of Lynall’s skill and patience and I would like thank you for checking out the link and Lynall for taking the time to show us how her work progressed.
Morty

Postby Quark » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am

Works fine for me - no warnings - and I've got the registered version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware. Also, I've never had any previous trouble with Mediafire, and consider it a reasonably good file-sharing site.
It might be something to do with the way your ISP is figuring out whether this site is safe or not. Some have a database of reports from users, some scan the site's text and files, others just get plain suspicious about everything and anything to avoid being sued. I downloaded the file, it's just fine. Your ISP is just paranoid.
Quark

Postby lynall » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks ever so much for the nice comments :) I made Moist Von Lipwigs golden top hat today haha. Although i didn't record the process as it was only a quicky. Il post a pic when ive done the others too.

If my new one works out ok it could be the best i do by far :).

I am working on the mistakes in the document and when i do the others i'll post them up here too.

I just finished Going Postal too. I LOVE this book! it really kept me wanting more!.... unfortunately i did a all nighter a few weeks ago and the only one i had to listen to was Making Money so i have done them in the wrong order...
lynall

Postby lynall » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Danny B wrote:* I'm not suggesting that Lynall shares files illegally, or that the file linked to contains work copyrighted by someone else. Merely that some people who use Mediafire choose to do that. Lynall's work is very much his own, with his own digital signature on it and everything.

Why so small Danny? lol :) I have downloaded a few things, £16 for a album HA! no thanks!!

I actually found a vid on my mediafire profile of before my ankle operation.

I do a bit of free style gymnastics if your guys are interested

Heres the link anyways: http://www.mediafire.com/?dz1okj1ewb4

Oh and it may only play in VLC cuz my camera is from japan and i cant read it to change the format... 8)
lynall

Next

Return to The Broken Drum