Equal Rites Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:43 am

I'd say it just shows the natural progression of Granny's skill.

I'm halfway through Wyrd Sisters now and, while she's more world weary than in Equal Rites, she's still not as advanced as in Carpe Jungulum.
kakaze

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

kakaze wrote:I'm halfway through Wyrd Sisters now and, while she's more world weary than in Equal Rites, she's still not as advanced as in Carpe Jungulum.

Translation = Seize the psychologist
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

:lol:

I wouldn't like to meet Granny's id on a dark windy night! Remember Forbidden Planet? :shock:

Sharlene - I think we've maybe talked out Granny's metamorphosis from ER to WS to CJ and beyond in one of the Tiffany threads a while back? She's certainly not as sophisticated in ER as she becomes in the later books. She still has a strong streak of xenophobia going on these days in terms of trusting furriners, but she's certainly a lot more confident in her power and virtually invincible in headology and borrowing in the later books - also a little more chilled in some ways. Perhaps meep is helping with that :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:37 pm

:) book after book she grows, in the end Tiffany sees her borrowing the hive, so she doesn't actually change, she just "grow up", and her witchcraft grows too.
Now she's pratically a Borg Queen :lol:
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:43 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
kakaze wrote:I'm halfway through Wyrd Sisters now and, while she's more world weary than in Equal Rites, she's still not as advanced as in Carpe Jungulum.

Translation = Seize the psychologist

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:12 pm

CrysaniaMajere wrote::) book after book she grows, in the end Tiffany sees her borrowing the hive, so she doesn't actually change, she just "grow up", and her witchcraft grows too.
Now she's pratically a Borg Queen :lol:

did somebody mention 7of9 :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:35 pm

:roll: Sooooooo predictable! :lol:

And... you chris.ph you! - I've STILLgot Leela waiting for you to buy her a bloomin' drink in the Broken Drum :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:15 pm

You now have two weeks to read or reread Night Watch for the discussion on Monday 7th December. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 am

You now have just one week to read or reread Night Watch for the discussion on Monday 7th December. :)
Tonyblack

Postby kakaze » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 pm

When you read equal rites, how to picture the staff's carvings?
kakaze

Postby Tristan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Wow, I missed this one. :roll: But I hope there still are people who read this thread.

A favourite quote:

"To ther Hed Wizzard, Unsene Universety, Greatings,
I hop you ar well, I am sending to you won Escarrina Smith, shee hath thee maekings of wizzardery but whot may be ferther dun wyth hyr I knowe not shee is a gode worker and clene about hyr person allso skilled in diuerse arts of thee howse, I will send Monies wyth hyr, May you liv longe and ende youre days in pese, And oblije, Esmerelder Weatherwaxe (Mss) Wytch."

:lol: And after that, the explaination of why Granny used "diuerse"... it's hillaric! too lazy to type it out, but look it up, I'm sure your be have to laugh out loud, just as I did (oh yeah, I almost fell off my bed when I read it last time :lol: :lol:).

And I love this one too:

"The room inside was pink and frilly. There were frills on things that no-one in their right mind would frill. It was like being inside candyfloss.
'Very nice,' said Granny. And, because she felt it was expected from her, 'Tasteful'. She looked around for something unfrilly to sit on, and gave up."

:mrgreen:
"...my father is the Emperor of Klatch and my mother is a small tray of raspberry puddings."
Tristan

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:03 pm

kakaze wrote:When you read equal rites, how to picture the staff's carvings?
I sort of see them as like those very old 16th Century chests with really deep, somewhat crude carvings that are black with age. But as the book says, they are impossible to see - Esk only gets to see then once she becomes a proper wizard. :)
Tonyblack

Postby bj420 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 am

I've just finished this book and came here to see if my reading was similar to others, but I've seen no reference to my interpretation of the book which may suggest I am wrong.

Ignoring the gender issues in the book (hard when that is the main idea), I believe that Simon is, in fact, meant to be the Disc's Einstein. He breaks down the behaviour of the entire disc into numbers and equations, and the others all can see that it all makes a lot of sense even if they can't understand it.

The creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions are probably a reference to the powers behind Einstein's theory, i.e. the dangers of nuclear technology. The wisdom to know all about the science but not to use it reflects the same situation with regards to nuclear weaponry and maybe even nuclear power etc.

The new science that Esk and Simon went off to study is probably relativity and quantum physics.

Am I way off track or was this just too obvious to be mentioned here?

Cheers,
BJ
bj420

Postby michelanCello » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:39 am

Welcome to the site, BJ! :D

I've never thought about what you said, but it could be... I don't know very much about Einstein and his theorys... :oops:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 am

bj420 wrote:I've just finished this book and came here to see if my reading was similar to others, but I've seen no reference to my interpretation of the book which may suggest I am wrong.

Ignoring the gender issues in the book (hard when that is the main idea), I believe that Simon is, in fact, meant to be the Disc's Einstein. He breaks down the behaviour of the entire disc into numbers and equations, and the others all can see that it all makes a lot of sense even if they can't understand it.

The creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions are probably a reference to the powers behind Einstein's theory, i.e. the dangers of nuclear technology. The wisdom to know all about the science but not to use it reflects the same situation with regards to nuclear weaponry and maybe even nuclear power etc.

The new science that Esk and Simon went off to study is probably relativity and quantum physics.

Am I way off track or was this just too obvious to be mentioned here?

Cheers,
BJ
Welcome bj420! :D

I think that you are certainly right to a degree, although Terry has covered the subject of magic = nuclear power much better in other books with Ponder Stibbons and Leonard of Quirm playing the Einstein role.

There's a lot more to this book than meets the eye and it's certainly got a lot of depth. I'm convinced it's about sex and puberty - but that may be just me. :lol:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels