Drum Solo’s and any other solo’s except for Guitars

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:10 pm

They were amazing the Who, the whole bally lot of 'em. :D

Beatles - I was 5 in '63 and my 1st 'schooltime' memory is a table of 5th formers singing 'I wanna hold your hand' in between main course and dessert in the canteen :lol:

You may have a few years on me and I've got a couple on pooh, but it's about that time between the Fab 4 and the Sex pistols when things really got to fizz before musicians started playing dress up again :lol:

Hows about some acoustics and more windy pipes (incl organ)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkSIwaUaNc

and something completely different...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbBxxML6iM
The Tull really did rock an' rule - and my neighbour's just started banging on the wall - :twisted: :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Jan you have to promise to keep posting in the OLD rockers threads.

I was a teenager (just) when I first saw The Beatles. I'm working on a Beatle post at the moment as I think they need a special mention.

The Who were brilliant. I can't make my mind up whether I like Tommy or Quadrophenia the most but I can't think of anything they did that I didn't like.

Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull made a huge impact on me. Do you remember back in the 60’s it was fashionable to carry your favourite album under your arm wherever you went to let others know what music you were into. I carried Aqualung by Jethro Tull under my arm for weeks.

Ever since Pooh put the Old rockers threads on the forum my neighbour has been banging on the wall. I assume he likes the music so much he’s just tapping along in appreciation.

Ooops gotta go the Police are knocking on my front door. Mmm strange I haven’t set fire to anything recently.

Keep posting Jan and I’ll have a look for the medley from Tommy as soon as the Police have gone if it’s available I’ll post it in the ‘’would you listen to this’’ thread.
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Don't let the pigs get you down man :lol:

I'm afraid I wasn't a teen until the early 70's but living in the westcountry we had a lot of pseudo-hippies down here :roll: (I lived in Plymouth then) and I sort of caught the tail end of all that - we had some great prog rock clubs back in the early 70s - my housemate worked in a real dive of a club and saw ELP (local lads in there), Tull, the Quo, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fairport, Osibisa etc all before they made it really big - even Shaking Stevens :lol: He had this great white cadillac as a tour vehicle - people used to go look at the car instead when his sets were on :P

By the time I was old enough to be let out of the convent school it was all Roxy Music and Bowie and Queen so I missed out on most of that but some of the clubs were still pretty wild down there - cheap too! 8)

SO is this the Old Rockers thread now? :lol: Can't promise to post too regularly but I do have to work online sometimes and I've been skiving a lot lately but I'll pop in a fair bit I expect :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:46 pm

I hope there are no officers of the law on the forum Jan or they’ve got you bang to rights :lol:

Your friend saw some great bands but there’s nowt with Roxy Music, Bowie and Queen.

I have more time on my hands than I want at the moment Jan and that explains why I’ve been on line as much as I have. You might laugh but for a whole multitude of reasons I’m actually finding the forum therapeutic.

Now who would have thought that You, Pooh, Kladivo, and Tony Black could have been described as therapists.... PMSL :lol:

Whenever you get the chance to look in it will always be a pleasure to see you.

Rock on 8)
Morty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Forums like this are therapeutic Morty! :D

Back in 2005 I was a complete burnout, had had it with my job (it sucked me dry literally) and later in the year with my husband too (now downgraded to housemate and may make ex both legally and domestically if he's not careful soon) and if it wasn't for the LotR roleplay forum I found the same year, along with the friends I made on there I doubt I'd have still been around now. :?

The mind's a funny old place and so's memory. So many people drift along and don't make an effort to try new things or think fortune/popularitywill come looking for them - you have to go out and make memories and sharing your own thoughts, dreams and enthusiasms with other people is as good as any other way to meet people and have fun. We're all therapists in a way! :wink:

Here's something from a forum friend on another LotR site to share :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvEh5cGw8w
With thanks to Tiana (aka Denthor, Steward of the White City) :P >>This image carries a bad language warning<<
I couldn't find the music that went with this vid but YouTube had it with Requiem for a Tower which is pretty damn good to listen to :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 am

Ah, Pat Benetar. I used to have that album. :lol:

Lord Morty, you say you are relatively new to Discworld. May I be so bold as to make a recommendation to you?

If you haven't already read Soul Music, I would strongly advise you to purchase it and peruse its gag-filled pages. I rate it as one of TP's funniest and as an aged old hippy, you will understand and appreciate nearly all the music references.

Here's some Zeppelin for you (not Stairway or Whole lotta)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNip8ZEesow
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:07 am

Thank you Pooh.... The Zeppelin clip was a good way to start the week.

I am very new to Discworld. Due to circumstances beyond my control I find I have rather a lot of time on my hands at the moment. A good friend introduced me to Terry Pratchett by accident. When she heard I was ‘’incapacitated’’ she brought some books round for me to read. She didn’t realize that she’d included a copy of The Colour of Magic.

I read it and arrived on this forum.

Soul Music sounds a perfect choice. Thank you for the recommendation. Looks like my credit card will be paying a visit to Amazon.com later today!

Best wishes,
Aged Old Hippy......I can feel another Avatar change coming on :wink:
Morty

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:40 am

Just to let you know Pooh I've just ordered a copy of Soul Music... Thanks for the heads up ....Should be with me later this week.....It will take me a few days to read it, is this your cunning plan to get me off the forum for a few days.....PMSL.
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:14 pm

It will take you 48 hours to read it. You will also re-read it within the next 2 weeks and enjoy it even more. :lol:

If I wanted you off the forum, shouldn't I just ignore you not encourage you?
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:24 pm

I was only joking about you wanting me off the forum. I'm very grateful for your advice as there's a shortage of novels that write about the music industry.

It might take me longer than two days to read it at the moment but when you say that I'll read it again shortly after I'm guessing you mean it’s really that good.

I noticed on Amazon they were also offering it as DVD. Have you seen the film and if so how do you rate it.

Seriously thank you for the advice.....Much appreciated.
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote: I noticed on Amazon they were also offering it as DVD. Have you seen the film and if so how do you rate it.

You're asking completely the wrong person there. :lol:

I have never seen any Discworld on TV/DVD. I have never listened to any of the audio books. I have never bought a DW e-book. All I do is buy the real paper books and use my imagination. :P
poohcarrot

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:48 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote: I noticed on Amazon they were also offering it as DVD. Have you seen the film and if so how do you rate it.

You're asking completely the wrong person there. :lol:

I have never seen any Discworld on TV/DVD. I have never listened to any of the audio books. I have never bought a DW e-book. All I do is buy the real paper books and use my imagination. :P

Good idea Pooh.

I had a definate image in my head of what Eleanor Rigby looked like. Eleanor Rigby was a song by The Beatles. Then they went and released a video and she looked nothing like I'd imagined. Took me weeks to get over that.

I'll stick to the books.....
Cheers
Morty
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 pm

I must admit, the Beatles I can take or leave, but Elanor Rigby is a classic. :P

There are still a lot of lonely people out there.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:I was only joking about you wanting me off the forum. I'm very grateful for your advice as there's a shortage of novels that write about the music industry.

It might take me longer than two days to read it at the moment but when you say that I'll read it again shortly after I'm guessing you mean it’s really that good.

I noticed on Amazon they were also offering it as DVD. Have you seen the film and if so how do you rate it.

The DVD is the cartoon version you can watch a clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLg_ouzf ... L&index=20
On lofty Beysitoun the lingering sun looks down on ceaseless labors, long begun.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Morty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:I was only joking about you wanting me off the forum. I'm very grateful for your advice as there's a shortage of novels that write about the music industry.

The DVD is the cartoon version you can watch a clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLg_ouzf ... L&index=20

Thanks Sjoerd3000

I'm going to save that link on my computer and I'll look at it when I've read the book. it was Pooh saying that he'd never seen a TP film on purpose so he could let his imagination run wild that stopped me opening the link.

I appreciate the time and trouble you took to find it for me and as I say when I formed my own images I will have a look.
Morty

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre