Diskworld MMORPG

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Diskworld MMORPG

Postby kakaze » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Hello,

I am interested in making a MMORPG (an online role-playing game) based on the Diskworld.

I know there's a MUD already, but it's text-based but I'd like to make it more graphic-oriented.

I'm just worried about the whole copyright issue. Do any of you know what Pratchett's feelings on the matter of a Diskworld inspired fan/game site are? And who should I talk to get permission to make one?

Thanks,

Joe
kakaze

Postby Jason » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:50 pm

You should probably discuss this with Terry's agent Colin Smythe (cpsmythe@aol.com).
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Quark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:05 pm

This is the internet. The normal laws of physics, thermodynamics, copyright and sociology simply do not apply in so many areas.
On the other hand, it would be great if you could make it an official indie game. Just make sure it does justice to the actual DW!
Quark

Postby Quark » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:50 am

Also, on the technical side of things, I've noticed a number of MMORPGs at the moment that seem to be using the same engine - with a few subtle differences, of course. There's a chance that it might be quite easy to program in - at the cost of perhaps inflexibility.

I couldn't find any mention of the engine, but I remembered this is one of the games that uses it:
http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/index.php?l=1&sec=0
Quark

Postby kakaze » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks for the tip Quark!

From what I could tell, Regnum is owned by NGD Studios, which owns the game engine that they use. All those other games you see that are very similar may very well be owned by NGD Studios.

I had a meeting with Terry's agent, Colin Smythe, at the NADWCon and showed him the game engine. He liked it, but thought that the graphics needed to be improved. I can develop and release the game as a fan-based derivitive as long as it's not profit-making. When (or "if") it does start making a profit, I'd need to sign a licensing agreement.

This is not a problem, except that I don't really have the time needed to develop everything on my own. I'm currently outlining the map, creating graphics for the characters & environments, and trying to get the server to work properly (I'm having a lot of problems with the server). I am also having hardware issues; I think my computer needs a new video card.

What I really need, is to find a few Discworld fans who know how to use 3D image programs (like 3D-Max & Zbrush) and have the time to help me make some good characters for in the game. The problem is I can't pay them anything. :P
kakaze

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Can't help you with the techie stuff at all - I can with copyright issues however... :(

Be very, very careful here else you could get sued out of sight. As Colin says, so long as you're not making any money you're relatively OK (as there's no dosh to be sued for :roll: ), it's always best to ask though.

As you're making graphics too you not only will need a licence from Terry, but potentially from Paul Kidby, the Josh Kirby estate and/or the production companies who made the films and animations. If your character visuals resemble any of the professionally illustrated characters or even renditions of the actors in the films without permission then you're treading deep water even without Terry in the equation.

An example - I'm selling some T-shirt type things online for DreamWorlds using my own fan art for LotR but I'm not using any of the portraits I've done of characters as portrayed in the film because I know Newline will be on me like a ton of bricks even though I can honestly claim that I'm non-profit making and sales will going into site-running costs and maintenance. Earlier this week I even got rapped on the knuckles for a 'text string' below this piece

with the tagline "not for the last time, Bilbo wished he had remembered to pack the jungle-strength insect repellent". Just mentioning the name Bilbo (the words aren't even a quote from the book) and Zazzle took all my mousepad range off - 5 pieces in all, the rest of which are 'Tolkien-inspired'. The visual itself you'll notice only shows Bilbo in silhouette so I don't get Newline moaning at me for making him look like Ian Holm or accused of ripping off background art from the truly dreadful Rankin/Bass animated film of The Hobbit. The other 4 designs were re-instated with apologies as they didn't feature 'quotes' and were my sole asserted copyrighted work, but for a while I was looking at having to take down all my product ranges as those pieces were used across the entire stock for that part of the online store... :roll:

Finally - a business proposition for you! :wink: My site features textual RP only so we're not competing with you at all (or indeed this forum), but in the New Year I'm putting up a new dedicated RP and quiz/game forum for Discworld. We have a site shop and also a 'Marketplace' for members to flog their own stuff - you'd be welcome to put up an ad in there or ask for people to come and test your product, kind of thing :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby kakaze » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:you'd be welcome to put up an ad in there or ask for people to come and test your product, kind of thing :D

Thank you! :)

I'll certainly do that, if I can get the bugs in the server ironed out!
kakaze

Postby Quark » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:03 am

On the technical side of things, I'm a reasonable mapper in the Valve BSP Hammer editor and I'm willing to give modelling a go if you could point me in the direction of the software you want me to work with.

EDIT: Random thing I noticed: I've started the last two posts with almost exactly the same phrase.
Quark

Postby Quark » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 am

Found a base plan of Ankh-Morpork that might be useful for making the game level(s)

Quark

Return to Games