What is my IP address

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Kladivo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:According to Daniel in my office, who's 21 and knows about these things, the reason I appear to be located just outside Northampton, when in reality I'm in the City of London, is because that's where my Server is located.

Might have explained that in the third post of this thread already :>
But why, don't mind a dwarf huh?
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:Best wishes

Terry Pratchett.....Oh Bugger :oops:

:lol: You can't possibly be TP because you make too many spelling mistakes! :lol:

Best wishes

Jan Van Quirm....Oh bollux!

Verry funy :lol:
I du knot make spolling mistooks I mite be many fings and many peeple but I whent to a gud skhool and theres nuffin rong wiv my spolling :lol:
Morty

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Kladivo wrote:The chances are, you've got a dynamic IP that is being assigned every time you connect to internet but this one does not represent you to the 'outside' - the open and wild Internet and is only identifiable within your ISP sub-network. The system will probably trace only as far as your nearest static IP, which would be assigned to your ISP's hub of sort.
That'd be my guess anyway...

...but I didn't understand a word of this!

What's a dynamic IP, an ISP sub-network, and a static IP? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Kladivo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 pm

poohcarrot wrote:What's a dynamic IP, an ISP sub-network, and a static IP? :?

Dynamic IP - changes every time you connect to the Internet and is only used by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to identify and contact/address your computer. This IP will not be recognised by services like Whatismyip.

Static IP is a fixed IP address, usually assigned to hubs and servers of big companies/organisations/ISPs etc. That's the one you see through Whatismyip. If your neighbour uses the same Internet provider his/her IP will be same as yours as you'll be sharing connections from the same server/hub/exchange.

Sub-network - (in this case) is like LAN (Local network) at work for instance. Just geographically bigger. So everyone connecting to same server/hub etc will be on the same sub-net.

It does get a bit more complicated but for the sake of this discussion should do :)
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Oh well, that explains everything. :?

What is "whatismyip"?
poohcarrot

Postby Kladivo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:51 pm

The bloomin' website in the first post of this thread! Earth to Pooh, wake up, Polly! :twisted:
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Oh! What's a website?
poohcarrot

Postby Kladivo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Now, it all started in February 1958 (although we would have to go back it time much further if we were to mention the beginning of the logical systems and calculating machines that in effect led to the invention and evolution of a modern computer) when Advanced Research Projects Agency was created in the USA. ARPA immediately began to work on technologies that would allow for networking military facilities (i.e. radar stations) in order to exchange information...

I'd carry on but I'm afraid it's your bedtime soon, isn't it? :P
Duvvelsheyss!
Kladivo

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:07 pm

I know nothing about what a IP is or technical stuff like that , but I know it thinks i'm from Pordenone, a city several hours distant from mine...
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:Best wishes

Terry Pratchett.....Oh Bugger :oops:

:lol: You can't possibly be TP because you make too many spelling mistakes! :lol:

Best wishes

Jan Van Quirm....Oh bollux!

I was going to say that on a site like this duping doesn't matter too much as the adult to young adult ratio's quite unusual in being more adult than not (but how would you tell with such innocent child-like free-spirited individuals (who shall remain nameless) careering all over the shop :P

Mortimer old chap - the forums I was referring were all roleplay oriented but confined to Lord of the Rings genre. The first had a huge international membership and a fairly large active population (with very young kids on there from the age of 6) so they were paranoid about abuse and also had a no canon character to be played except by mods policy which was really narrow-sighted but what the hey... There was all kinds of very nasty practices and cyber-bullying going on at one stage (admin on there weren't whiter than white either on that side - never met such an uptight bossy rude bunch of people although its changed now apparently) and the worst 'perps' generally hid behind at least 2 usernames so the no duping rule was in force for a good reason. Duping can also encourage a 'stalkers' paradise and get really scary... :shock:

My latest site's got a different policy in that we allow people to play any character they want provided somebody isn't already playing it in the same thread - simple and liberal to police as you don't need more than 1 account anyway. The last site I helped manage they actually encouraged dupe accounts provided you also cited your other IDs so people knew that the person/ID they'd had a major bust up in one forum also played as so & so and so & so in other places, which sounds trivial, but if someone who'd upset you in 1 place then turned out to be your best buddy under another profile in another place, then people tended to get really nervous or angry that people were taking liberties with them. At one time I had 9 public profiles and that was actually pretty scary for some people, but it did keep me and my multiple personalities happily occupied mostly. :P

Pooh - go argue with yourself why dontcha? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Jan,

When you have a site where young children are invited to become members I can see the need for a strict no duping policy.
The thing I like about this site is that so far I have seen no flaming no nasty arguments taking place and everyone just enjoying being part of one happy asylum :roll:
I have not seen an Admin come on line and the moderators it seems only come on to join in the fun / madness :wink:
I’m pleased to hear I am not the only member with multiple personalities. It can be a lonely life talking to yourself can’t it :oops:

Yes it can Mortimer 8)
Morty

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm

Mortimer Postlethwaite wrote:I’m pleased to hear I am not the only member with multiple personalities. It can be a lonely life talking to yourself can’t it :oops:

Yes it can Mortimer 8)

:lol: :lol:

I'd love to have multiple personalities, unfortunately I've only one, so when I talk to myself noone answer me back.. :(
CrysaniaMajere

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 pm

This is, despite appearances. actually quite a tolerant and even sensible forum although it looks mad and uncontrolled :lol:

I think it's in part because Terry does encourage intelligent and perceptive readers who mostly seem to have a 'hoopy' sense of humour (well we would say that naturally! :wink: ) and the overwrought bon homie that occasionally breaks out. But as we all are drawn here on the basis that we're all fans, I think that has to be the common denominator in explaining the clowning around and teasing. Speaking for myself I very rarely muck about or take the mickey with people I don't like, so that means I like everyone who's a regular or looks to becoming regular on the site. Some of them quite a lot! :twisted:

Yes, pooh darling - even you! :P

I can only remember one person on here I wasn't too impressed with who'd been very snotty with someone else, whom I think, as others on here shared my view, has now chosen to go and snot elsewhere, but aside from that we all rub along famously as 'twere. Lots of give and take as we all like the mix of personalities and Tony and Jason are the finest mods you could wish for! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:30 pm

bloody hell ive moved to birmingham and nobodies told me :shock: thats on the wrong side of the border and i didnt even get my passport stamped :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Morty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi Jan

Again I totally agree with you I think because it looks mad and uncontrolled is because of the way the site is monitored by two exceptional moderators.
Considering the mix of personalities on the forum I’m surprised it’s so easy going but as you say we all have a common interest. I promise you I won’t be snotty and I’ll keep my matches in my pocket.
As for being a regular I hope to be around for some time to come.
Morty

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum