Going Postal saves my daughter's reading skills!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Going Postal saves my daughter's reading skills!

Postby THopper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 pm

I am a voracious Pratchett fan and have read Going Postal many times over because it is my favorite. (actually I read them all again and again and can't wait to get the rest of the series)

My 13 Year old daughter Katie hates to read and I've tried many times buying her books that involve her interests but to no avail. (unless you count the Anime comic books)

One night I was in bed reading and Katie couldn't sleep. She came in and sat on the bed and wanted to just chat about a television show. I listened and we talked until she ran out of things to say so I just started reading out loud from Going Postal. She laughed so hard! So when I told her i was tired but she was welcomed to keep reading she said yes. That was a week ago. Now she has finished Going Postal and Making Money! She reads better and her spelling is improving. Now to introduce her to Rincewind.......

I wish I could thank Mr. Pratchett in person for the years of continued enjoyment and for creating such wonderful stuff that would turn my non-reading daughter into a fan!
THopper

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:23 pm

excellent news and welcome to the site :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

That really is great news! Maybe she'll be becoming a member on here at some stage. :)

Welcome!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 am

I'm trying to encourage my son to read more (he has dyslexia), but seems to be slowly getting into reading. I'm sure he'd love Discworld.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 pm

It's great when a serendipity thing like that happens, fair warms the cockles of your heart. :D
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ogg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:47 pm

I've never managed to convince any of my three children to read Discworld despite my multilayered strategy of showing them the animated series, various computer games or even taking my then small son to a book signing...for shame.
I consider 'Going Postal' one of my top five DW books ever but I could be biased due to being a postie myself...'low and sharp', hilarious!
Last edited by Ogg on Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm

HOORAY!! Reading rocks. It lets you go places you would not normally go, and exercises the imagination.

Congarats on interesting your daughter and more luck to ya!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby nattheweirdo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:26 pm

My friend tried for a year o get me to read TP and i wouldn't...hedidn't seem my kind of author. In the end i read one to shut her up - Monstruos regiment i belive and loved it. I have sincer read more thann she has and im an avid fan :D sometimes TP needs to be shoved down your throat before you realise its greatness :)

X Nattheweirdo
Samuel Vimes is awesome - Simple as :)
~
Vetinari: Did you really just punch the head of
the assassins guild?
Vimes: Yessir
Vetinari: Why?
Vimes: Didn't have a dagger sir.
nattheweirdo

Re: Going Postal saves my daughter's reading skills!

Postby kakaze » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:34 am

THopper wrote:I wish I could thank Mr. Pratchett in person for the years of continued enjoyment and for creating such wonderful stuff that would turn my non-reading daughter into a fan!

Maybe someone will mention it to him at the convention. :)

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:HOORAY!! Reading rocks. It lets you go places you would not normally go, and exercises the imagination.

Or, if you're adventursoum, you can use them as a guide of places to go. 8)
kakaze

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:29 pm

I first read Pratchett when after watching the cartoon series of Wyrd Sisters ... at Sixteen - AFTER ANALYSING Macbeth for three blinkin times and therefore appreciated the finely tuned jokes towards the Scottish Play!

I then gone onto Moving Pictures and, the rest, as they say ... is History ... or it might even be now ... erm ... good thing I haven't seen the Trousers of Time Bifurcated and gone down the wrong leg into a world WITH NO PRATCHETT!!!!!! :shock: IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT PRATCHETT!!!!!

The thought is too hideous to comprehend!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Quark » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 pm

I don't dare comprehend it.
Quark

Return to Discworld novels