Raising Steam *Warning Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam *Warning Spoilers*

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:43 pm

hnorwood wrote:I didn't think that Vetinari would have been fit enough to take on being a stoker - he walks with a stick. He got wounded in MAA, after all.

Yoda walks with a stick, but that doesn't stop him prodding buttock when it suits him. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
hnorwood wrote:I didn't think that Vetinari would have been fit enough to take on being a stoker - he walks with a stick. He got wounded in MAA, after all.

Yoda walks with a stick, but that doesn't stop him prodding buttock when it suits him. :lol:

Although!! Jedi he is. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Phenotype » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 pm

I've actually read through this entire thread, and I've only seen it asked once, without a specific reply:

What did the golems actually do at the rickety bridge? I figured Moist's plan involved them in some way, but the scene itself was really puzzling to me. Maybe they could reinforce the bridge, but then there were all these engineers that had been working on it the whole time, apparently without seeing the golems? And then how did Moist and Vimes step off of the edge of the cliff, with Vimes saying "It's just like standing on a pavement"? Or the description of Iron Girder "flying"?

I enjoyed the book, but it was really jarring because I never felt like I got an actual answer to "How will Moist pull this one off?"
Phenotype

Postby =Tamar » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Phenotype wrote:What did the golems actually do at the rickety bridge? I figured Moist's plan involved them in some way, but the scene itself was really puzzling to me. Maybe they could reinforce the bridge, but then there were all these engineers that had been working on it the whole time, apparently without seeing the golems? And then how did Moist and Vimes step off of the edge of the cliff, with Vimes saying "It's just like standing on a pavement"? Or the description of Iron Girder "flying"?

Here's my take on it. Golems can move very fast if they want to. (They can probably tunnel through the earth, too, if they want to or are ordered to.) I think the engineers got out of the way, and the golems did something like a circus pyramid and made a bridge of their magically hardened bodies, probably holding the rails in place for Iron Girder to roll on. Standing on a golem is like standing on pavement. Once they were no longer needed, they retracted into the cliffside again.

This isn't what I was envisioning but it's neat:

http://atomictoasters.com/2012/07/start ... ival-ride/
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Who knows exactly how this was pulled off? Whether the golems were supporting the track or the bridge. Terry has deliberately (I believe) kept the solution mysterious and let us, the readers decide how it was done. If it were explained it would take away the magic. Quite obviously it was done using the golems and that could mean any of several ways. The point is, he couldn't do it without them. Despite his threats, Vetinari must have realised this. That is why Moist had to make it seem miraculous.

Welcome to the site, Phenotype. :)
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 am

I finally finished this today! :clap:

(I know :shhh: it was my xmas present and I've been reading it very slowly... :whistle: )

I enjoyed the book a lot but can see the flaws and just come to accept them now.

I'm very surprised that the Undertaking underground railway wasn't integrated with this. I don't know my history but on Roundworld the underground did come after proper city-to-city railway, right? Maybe in the next book the AM Underground will just be a thing that happens between books Dick Simnel + Dwarf mines = ?

I really did like the vignette style of the book, especially the Brief Encounter reference with the two librarians. :D

And yes I think the stand out for me is the missing Carrot, of the watch members, if your going to have dwarf perspectives yes definitely have Cheery but have Carrot too. :naughty:

I think I liked it more than Snuff? Not sure really , find it hard having favourites in DW only that UA and MM are my least favourites...

Bring on the new Tiffany!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby crazyargie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 pm

I read it a week after it was available to buy, and i'm pretty disappointed with this book. Of course I don't buy that crazy theory about NON-PRATCHETT, but there's a few changes in the mood of some characters (Like Vetinary) that I don't like. I also been complaining about the lack of subtlety in the social criticism and the modernization of the DW since Moist appearance. DW It's losing shine and magic. :_(

What put me against Raising Steam for good, is the constant 'encyclopedic' data with no purpose. I feel like being pushed to know more and being treated like I would be silly. Sir, if I want to know more about trains (and I would possible liked to know more before your master class), I will do my own reading about it, thanks. :snooty:

However, Tiffany series keep the same spirit as the old DW books, thanks Terry!

BTW, sorry for my rubbish english.. :mrgreen:
Well, statistically speaking, it is possible to find the right wall...

(Demons!! - A short history)
crazyargie

Postby Wyrdskein » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:29 pm

I was hoping Tony Robinson would be better as I intend to listen to them in the car - Stephen Briggs is absolutely awful. He narrates in a jerky, overly precise way, and frankly ruined Raising Steam. I actually read the novel afterwards and enjoyed it. Not my favourite Pratchett, but by no means as troublesome as other people have said (not for me anyway).
Doomed to be free.
Wyrdskein

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Welcome to the site. :) Tony Robinson only does the abridged versions.
Tonyblack

Postby Wyrdskein » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Welcome to the site. :) Tony Robinson only does the abridged versions.

Damn. That's a shame.
Doomed to be free.
Wyrdskein

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Wyrdskein welcome to the forum, I prefer Stephen Briggs as a narrator his Feegles are great, I'm not a fan of Tony Robinson as I find he has a very limited narritive range in the characters as they all sound the same or very similar, but we all can't like the same narrators, I also liked the book but not in my top ten. There is also the new Tiffany book coming out probably next year. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Wyrdskein » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:18 pm

I will persist as I want to listen to them. Think I will try Snuff next. Thanks.
Doomed to be free.
Wyrdskein

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:48 pm

I've never listened to a Tony Robinson (I'll take my audiobooks "unabridged," please), but I love Briggs. He gets to the heart of the characters better, in general, than the other readers do, although Nigel Planer outdoes him in certain areas (like the witches and Lancreans in general).

Part of the problem with your dislike of Briggs may be that the last few DW novels are so far away from Pterry's "classic" style that it's difficult for anyone to read. I love Briggs, but it was clear that he was struggling with the overwritten, exposition heavy, speechifying style of Snuff. I'm interested in getting his Raising Steam to see how he does there, since that book has even more exposition and less dialogue than Snuff.
raisindot

Postby Wyrdskein » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:48 am

Maybe I should listen to an older one read by him first. My favourite Pratchett is probably Feet of Clay, although there are quite a few newer ones I haven't read yet.
Doomed to be free.
Wyrdskein

Postby raisindot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

THERE BE SPOLERS AHEAD!

For the "older" Briggs I'd recommend Thud! or The Truth. Both show the range of Briggs' characterizations of humans, vampires, dwarfs, trolls and Nobby Nobbs and with the latter you also get Gaspode, Foul Ole Ron, and the unforgettable Pin and Tulip (just listening to the way Briggs nails Tulip's "_____ing" curse is worth the price alone).
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books