PC Issues

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: PC Issues

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Firefox is my main browser
and chrome I use because I can use zenmate as a add-on so I can watch films in peace
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:30 am

Zenmate?

And I use firefox, have cookies enabled, but I've been having that issue of always having to log back in everytime i'm gone for more then a few minutes since I joined the site.

That's never been fixed for me, I just got used to it after awhile. It's only ever been a problem though if i'm typing out a post, then end up doing something before hitting submit, and coming back, hitting submit and finding out I have to log back in. in which case I loose everything I typed.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:27 am

Really? Have you tried hitting the back button?
I usually then get the text I had typed. I then copy it, log in, paste it.

So, your problem seems to be that you're getting logged out while you still have the tab open? The only reason for that - that I'm aware of - is an unstable network connection that disconnects you for short periods (maybe even so short that you don't realize it).
Strange issues you all have.

You might have a look here, if you're not coincidentally the topic starter:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972105

Best bet seems to be clearing the cookies.sqlite file (please refer to the links for how to do that, I'm only giving a direction here what to look for)
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby hnorwood » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 pm

After a fair lot of stress, I have converted my PC to dual-boot so that I can still use XP safely (?) after April, and use Linux to go on line. So here I am on the forum using Firefox within Linux...

I decided rather than go right out and drop XP, that I had too much invested in software in XP to give it up entirely.
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:39 pm

I still use XP on my desktop I will use it as long as I can, got windows 7 on my laptop, although all the banks ATM'S (cash dispensers) all use XP so it's surprising M/soft are cutting support. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby hnorwood » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

There are apparently an unknown number of devices out there running either embedded XP (or more worrying) plain XP. These include medical devices (those things that go "beep") It appears that changing the software in one of these means it loses its validation (possibly wrong word) and so cannot be used until it's type-tested- a long and probably expensive process. It's been called a bigger problem than the "millennium bug" - remember that?

Anyway. I'm stuck at the moment as I can't get the system to see the microphone on the web cam, so I can't skype my daughter. Well OK, I can wave at her!
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:04 am

Congratulations on trying Linux, hnorwood.
I switched back in 2007 and haven't looked back since. I liked XP, I helped with a roll-out 2 years ago and installed a lot of Win7 and thought it was OK, too. I use it at the university sometimes, too, and yeah, it works.
Now my father has got a new computer with Win8 and I really wonder if MS tries to lose customers.

Anyway, if you have trouble with Linux, feel free to ask. I cannot guarantee that I can help, but it might be worth a try. Well, webcams aren't a specialty of mine, so I can only help you guess there.
And of course the forums of your chosen distribution (Ubuntu?) are a good source of information.

ChristianBecker

Postby Ghost » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 am

Linux pretty much takes care of it's self which version are you using?
I've got Ubuntu as my system
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 am

My previous comp ran linux mint (had to after a virus killed XP) I liked it for the most part, but had alot of annoyances. mainly is how it handled flash. or didn't, in many cases. Made youtube and hulu a pain to use. Plus alot of the programs I wanted to use I couldn't cause they didn't support linux (and wine can be fickle).

I have win7 now. I like it (and i'm not an MS fan). the only thing I really miss is the multiple desktops. (you had 4 desktops and could roll the mouse wheel to changing them. alot easier to manage having multiple windows open then taskbar or minimizing.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby hnorwood » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 pm

It's LinuxLite 1.0.6. I couldn't get Unbuntu to run in live mode (even though LinuxLite is Ubuntu underneath, so I believe)
The PC itself is 11 years old and the cpu is a 2GHz Celeron, but I upped the RAM to 2Gb some time ago...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Ghost » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:31 am

I had issues getting ubuntu to work the first time I had it installed on my laptop
so I had my loptop reformatted again and ubuntu reinstalled and aside from a few minor issues
it works fine but I still after all this time can't get 4od to stream tv
and this why I installed chrome with zenmate add-on so I can watch TV in peace
Ghost

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:03 am

Never heard of Linux Lite before. Looks nice, though, and is yet another offspring of Ubuntu, so should actually work quite well. But if it doesn't recognize your webcam, you'll probably have trouble getting it to work altogether. What model and manufacturer is it?
As for the microphone - have you checked if it is perhaps muted? There should be a programme called audio mixer in Applications → Multimedia. I mean, if sound output works, then sound input should as well, unless you're using perhaps a bluetooth microphone.

ChristianBecker

Postby hnorwood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Got a workround by plugging a mic into the microphone socket in the rear of the box. Not very "elegant". This issue seems to be common judging by queries on various help forums...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

what is bskyb?
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Sky Broadband
the company that I use for my internet connection
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum