So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Mort is a great place to start. :)

I agree, it's normally where I suggest people start :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 pm

I did not have a choice, as there was only one. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 am

Oops, I dicoverde this thread just after my introduction in The Broken Drum, so I already replied to some of this questions there.

Nevertheless:

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?
A friend has borrowed it to me some years ago - regrettably I had to give it back.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
Thief of Time.

3. Will you read more?
Yes. And again and again.

4. Which one do you intend to read next?
Raising Steam, the last to read for the moment.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
I don't really know. My friend was so enthusiastic that he right forward told me the best bits of discworld background which was needed to read this book, Death's granddaughter, Death of the rats and so on. It was somewhat confusing as the next books I read has been "Moving Pictures" and after this "Reaper Man". While reading this novel I wondered if the girl who appears here (wotshername?) may be the girl Death adopted and who later will become Susan's mother. Later I learned about Ysabelle and Mort, of course, but at this moment, yes, reading the books in the right order (at least the Death series) might have been a good idea. :think:
Apart from that I get rather easily into Discworld, to read some of the books which I read first, it wasn't really necessary to know anything about "the disc" (for example "Monstrous Regiment", which still is one of my favourite books).
So, no, it wasn't difficult - if you get the personal relations of the protagonists right.
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby Mixa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:26 pm

I think you’re right, Roland, one of the most important things to better understand and enjoy Discworld is accompanying its characters throught their evolution. Nevertheless, it is also important to know the development of the multiverse because everything that “happens” (or mostly “attacks” :mrgreen: ) Discworld evolves as well.

Which are your favourite Discworld books?

Mx
Last edited by Mixa on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Yep. Therefore I finally went and buy (and read) the books in the right order.
Beside getting the relationships right I also could see how many intern DW references every time and so often showed itself which you never would have spottet if you didn't have read the refered previous novel.
It really is/was worth it.

To choose favorite books may be a little bit difficult.
There are none which I don't like, but there are many which I like, which I very like, which I really enjou, which I love... uhm, and so on.

Also changing from time to time or depending on my mood.
But I think, the books I am most fond of are Hogfather, Moving Pictures, Monstrous Regiment, Mort and Soul Music, to only mention five. But I also like Reaper Man, Pyramides and Witches Abroad very much and appreciate Small Gods and Equal Rites while always getting a very good feeling with Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sister.

Okay, one thing I can say for sure:
The Rincewind books would be right at the bottom of this list, with the expection of Interesting Times which would rate among the position of Witches Abroad.
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby Mixa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I agree with you: with Discworld books there are always different grades of enjoyment but never of dislike.

These days I'm rereading the Discworld collection and I'm rediscovering books that I thought I didn't like so much... I'm sure that through years I'll have different DW favourite books because I believe there's a special Pratchett book in every stage of your life! :)

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 am

Mixa wrote:I agree with you: with Discworld books there are always different grades of enjoyment but never of dislike.

Very right, yes, even the Rincewind books brings hilarous fun without thinking much if you are in the mood or if you allow you the mood to.

Mixa wrote:These days I'm rereading the Discworld collection and I'm rediscovering books that I thought I didn't like so much... I'm sure that through years I'll have different DW favourite books because I believe there's a special Pratchett book in every stage of your life! :)

Mx

I agree, have had the same experience by rereading not long ago. Many books, some which I have read last years ago, get better and better by every reading, some I always can read (Wyrd Sisters for example), with other books I had to ripen with the years to appreciate them at full scale now (Reaper man) or even get other point of views (Snuff, albeit this forum also has added some aspects to understand it better). :)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby benjaminsspitz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 am

I just wanted to thank Sir Pratchett for his Discworld novels.
I was first introduced to the Discworld in college by way of a reading assignment. I then lost track of the world until just recently. I am enjoying the world immensely. The way that Sir Pratchett is able to make the wold alive is unbelievable. I have read through the Rincewind arc, Death arc, The Von Lipwig Arc, and am now almost through the Guards arc.
My son and I have watched Going postal, The color of Magic, and The Hogfather with much enjoyment.
We have listened to many of the books on tape, then went ahead and read them, most recently with Raising Steam.

I just wanted to say Thank You for the years of enjoyment I have had and am looking forward to many more.

Thank you,

Benjamin Spitz
benjaminsspitz

Postby SueSquare » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am

Hello!

I wouldn't say I'm a new reader, as I've been reading Discworld books since I was 8, but I figure this is the best way to start talking to everyone :D

My dad is a big fan of the Discworld series, and used to play me The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic audio tapes to me at bedtimes. a few years after I picked up The Colour of Magic for the first time and have loved the series since.

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, I read them both in the same day! These books sparked my love of fantasy novels and my love for Terry Pratchett's writing.

3. Will you read more?

I did and always will, haha! I've been slowly building up my collection of Discworld novels, and I'm always picking them up to read again.

I'm unsure just now, although I know I've missed a few of the earlier books, so when I have time I'm planning to check the list and see.
SueSquare

Postby Penfold » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:55 am

Hellooo and welcome Sue and Benjamin. :D Might I suggest dropping into the Broken Drum where your more likely to meet everyone. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome to the forum Sue and Benjamin glad you have found us.

The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Sue & Benjamin welcome to the forum, as Penners said there's a welcome & Introduce yourself thread on the Broken Drum where everyone will see your post, but only if you want to. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 am

And welcome from me too. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Mjukisviktor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi! New to the forum and new to Pratchett since this spring! I have fallen in love!

My friend has read almost all of them, and one day I was at hos place and asked what it's all about. I soon read Colour Of Magic and after that I borrowed 10 more! From there ln... :)

Colour of magic. Im Reading them in order. Im at jingo now! Only slipper pyramids because I was anxious to start Reading about the city watch series that I had heard so much of.

3. Will you read more?

All of it! And after that more of Pratchett. I love it.

Since I read them in order, I suppose The Last Continent is on que.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

Im glad I started with CoM because it gave a good intro. But it wasnt until guards! Guards! I got a good full picture of the universe of the discworld.

Glad to be here! Not gonna stalk too much until i read more. Dont want any spoilers!
Mjukisviktor

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Excellent set of answers :D Welcome to the forum

The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels