Nation at the National

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Nation at the National

Postby fyffes » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:29 pm

On the subject of theatre: has anyone else been to see any of the Nation previews at the National theatre in London?

What I know about theatre would fail to overflow the head of a needle - even if the angels did budge over - so I would be interested to hear what others thought.

I reckoned it was fun, though it might have taken some of the audience a while to work out that the guy with the Flock of Seagulls hairstyle was a parrot. So, no nudity, lots more laughs than Pinter and cavorting dolphins. What more could you want?
fyffes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Not yet having read the book (it's on the pile) I'm not sure I would want to see the play. I'm not convinced I would have went to see it anyway.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 am

Welcome to the site fyffes! :D

HERE'S a review of Nation in the Telegraph. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby fyffes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:03 pm

When I read that link it looked like an interview with the director - who doesnt like fantasy! - before any of the performances.

A bit odd a director being uninterested in fantasy, I thought that was what theatre and cinema was: a waking dream.

Perhaps I clicked the wrong page.
fyffes

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:49 pm

I know what you mean and was kind of disappointed when I first started reading the item. But it frequently makes me chuckle when I hear people say they don't like fantasy and then go on to say that something like 'Wind in the Willows' is their favourite book. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby fyffes » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Surely someone has been to see it. Were we lone Forum members in a sea of Londoners?
fyffes

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh dear.

Nation at the National doesn't get very good reviews.

WARNING FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK - PLOT SPOILERS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 378195.stm
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tone The Phone » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello, new to the forum, greetings one and all, glad to be here, etc. :D

I have a little inside knowledge about what transpired during the mounting of Nation at The National. Basically, the director was mostly interested in exploiting the visual aspects of the piece (her main field is choreography and movement in general) and the instruction for the adaptation was to make lots of opportunities for these aspects of the production to happen. As far as I can gather from my internal mole, this meant that vast chunks of the text had to be excised in order to accommodate the set-pieces and to keep the running time down to something that children would find manageable. So what you get is a show with some lovely visual effects and no really coherent story-line: I'm told that young children love it, because it looks pretty, but that teenagers and adults and Pratchett fans in particular feel rather badly let down. I will be going to see it at some point before it closes and should be able to report back with more detail. Personally, I hate to lose any of Terry's prose and I think it should have been done as a two part piece, like the RSC did Nicholas Nickleby all those years ago, but I guess that wouldn't really work as a Christmas show

Tony
I like telephones...
Tone The Phone

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 pm

welcome to the site tone :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Welcome Tone - That's the impression I pretty much got from the reviews. It's a shame, but maybe lots of people will buy the book and become hooked. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 pm

welcome to the site tone.Imageyou can always get a line here. :wink:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tone The Phone » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'll pop in from time to time, but being a freelancer, I sometime disappear for weeks on end.

And although I like phones, (not a geek, definitely not a geek, I just like phones - nice old black bakelite ones, mostly), I like Sir Terry's work much more.

Best wishes from snowy and icy London.

Tony
I like telephones...
Tone The Phone

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Tone :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Return to TV, film, theatre