Good news

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Good news

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

And I doubt they'll sell many sausages inna bun!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12048
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Good news

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 pm

They wouldn't have to try too hard with the buns - Disneyland hot dogs are just yuck! Image

The theme park idea may not be a serious one - or if it is, not necessarily on a grand scale. Possibly expect a plethora of merchandising of the Star Wars niche maybe? :doh: I know it sounds horrible, but when Terry goes there's not an awful left except to milk from the franchise that not already been done (in some style by the CA of course :D ), so let's hope that by establishing Narrativia the movies at least will be well done when they get made. :shifty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Re: Good news

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I have a feeling that Terry's daughter will be carrying on Discworld.

Isn't it his will to be so?
A LIFE WITHOUT DANGER AND LAUGHTER IS A LIFE NOT WORTH LIVING...
User avatar
Hunter
New member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm
Location: IRI

Re: Good news

Postby Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I have a feeling that Terry's daughter will be carrying on Discworld.

Isn't it his will to be so?
A LIFE WITHOUT DANGER AND LAUGHTER IS A LIFE NOT WORTH LIVING...
User avatar
Hunter
New member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm
Location: IRI

Re: Good news

Postby Penfold » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:They wouldn't have to try too hard with the buns - Disneyland hot dogs are just yuck! Image

The theme park idea may not be a serious one - or if it is, not necessarily on a grand scale. Possibly expect a plethora of merchandising of the Star Wars niche maybe? :doh: I know it sounds horrible, but when Terry goes there's not an awful left except to milk from the franchise that not already been done (in some style by the CA of course :D ), so let's hope that by establishing Narrativia the movies at least will be well done when they get made. :shifty:


My limited understanding of it was that it would consist of the Ankh Morpork permanent sets for the Watch series (they are apparently going to build), the idea being they would get further use from it after they have finished filming rather than demolishing. :think: :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
11
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7222
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: Good news

Postby Discworldpadawan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:38 am

Did he give any indication of when the Tiffany book will be comming out Wee dug? I started wee free men a fortnight ago (after reading raising steam, going postal, and making money, in that order), and wanted a "group" of discworld novels to start on next, so I choose the tiffany aching / wee free men 4 books. The Nac Mac Feegles tickle me! What Scottish accent is their written dialogue most akin to? You'd be the best one to ask this! :D
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
User avatar
Discworldpadawan
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Good news

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 pm

We first meet the Feegles in Carpe Jugulum, and their accent is quite difficult to understand. I found myself reading it aloud to make sense of it - a bit like when I read Trainspotting. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29003
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Good news

Postby Discworldpadawan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Is the accent even stronger in Carpe Jugulum then Tony? I grew up watching Rab C Nesbitt on BBC 2, and I think if you can understand Rab, then it's a good bet you'll understand most scottish accents :D :D Rab's Fab!
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
User avatar
Discworldpadawan
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Good news

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Much stronger! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29003
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Good news

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Discworldpadawan wrote:Did he give any indication of when the Tiffany book will be comming out Wee dug? I started wee free men a fortnight ago (after reading raising steam, going postal, and making money, in that order), and wanted a "group" of discworld novels to start on next, so I choose the tiffany aching / wee free men 4 books. The Nac Mac Feegles tickle me! What Scottish accent is their written dialogue most akin to? You'd be the best one to ask this! :D

Terry usually gives no times that usually comes from the publisher but look to the end of the year or early next year.
He took the slighty modified Glasgow tongue, he spent a bit of time doing research there for the books but the common and phrases words are in use in most parts of the Central region and Lowlands.

As for Rab C.that is a watered down version for TV as in reality it is a harsh brogue. As for other dialects the Aberdonians speak as we say 19 to the dozen ie very fast, it can change in some cases within a few miles also the age of the speaker can make it seem very different. :o :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14864
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Good news

Postby Discworldpadawan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 am

Rab C Nesbitt is "watered down"?? Good grief!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I suspected The Nac Mac Feegles may hyave a bit of glaswegian in them, because me and my girlfriend have been watching through the whole 6 series's of still game at the moment (for the 3rd time!), and some of their accent in still game sounds like the way I read the Nac Mac feggle's dialogue. Does anyone else on here have any familiarity with still game (other than wee dug, Im guessing its a given you know of it!), its such a hilarious cracking comedy, but I dont think its well-known outside of scotland :( :( Such a shame, its easily up there with father ted in terms of great comedies!
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
User avatar
Discworldpadawan
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Good news

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Have you seen "Chewing the Fat" Discworldpadawan, it was a series before Rab C. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14864
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Good news

Postby Discworldpadawan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:57 pm

I had not Wee dug, looks like something else from Scotland that has not had alot of publicity over the boarders of Wales :|
I shall give it a go tho! I'll watch a few episodes on youtube, and if its anywhere near as good as still game, then I'll deff. be getting the dvd's! :D
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
User avatar
Discworldpadawan
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Good news

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm

You may recognise some people in it. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
User avatar
Who's Wee Dug
Member
 
Posts: 14864
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Stirlingshire, Scotland

Re: Good news

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Tonyblack wrote:We first meet the Feegles in Carpe Jugulum, and their accent is quite difficult to understand. I found myself reading it aloud to make sense of it - a bit like when I read Trainspotting. :lol:


That's exactly what I did. I read Trainspotting a while before Carpe Jugulum so Feegle speak wasn't too hard to get the hang of.

I love finding new comedies. Have looked up Still Game on the youtube & will try & catch a few episodes. :D
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
User avatar
Sister Jennifer
Member
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am
Location: Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests