Good children's books...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:59 pm

welcome to the site bluesmonkey :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, BluesMonkey!
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Welcome, BluesMonkey! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

And on it goes....

Postby Cherry74 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:13 pm

I have read TP since CoM and have since read far and wide voraciously anything he's penned ( or tytped
lol ). My absolute pleasure is to pass on to my 10 year old son, my love of TP.
Following a 'Bookworm' project at school, Little one came home asking about childrens authors and saying he didn't want to do ' she who will not be named' as 99% of his classmates were.
So I went and bought him the Johnny Maxwell series and once I had read them, (much to littlies disgust lol ) He has gone on to do a fantastic powerpoint presentation on TP and got 50 house points for it ,woot! Btw, we don't harbour delusions of grandure, his school does lol )
I can most definatly put up with his little tinkles of laughter from the bedroom as he's caught in the thought provoking and sometimes tear provoking plots ( Jez how did I cry when Granny appeared to die, lol)
So can't wait for him to exhaust the 'young adult' catagory and get on to the Discworld proper!
Cherry74

Re: And on it goes....

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Cherry74 wrote:I have read TP since CoM and have since read far and wide voraciously anything he's penned ( or tytped
lol ). My absolute pleasure is to pass on to my 10 year old son, my love of TP.
Following a 'Bookworm' project at school, Little one came home asking about childrens authors and saying he didn't want to do ' she who will not be named' as 99% of his classmates were.
So I went and bought him the Johnny Maxwell series and once I had read them, (much to littlies disgust lol ) He has gone on to do a fantastic powerpoint presentation on TP and got 50 house points for it ,woot! Btw, we don't harbour delusions of grandure, his school does lol )
I can most definatly put up with his little tinkles of laughter from the bedroom as he's caught in the thought provoking and sometimes tear provoking plots ( Jez how did I cry when Granny appeared to die, lol)
So can't wait for him to exhaust the 'young adult' catagory and get on to the Discworld proper!
Welcome to the site Cherry74! :D

Your little one has got a lifetime ahead of reading and Terry's books are a wonderful place to start! :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quark » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am

I still maintain that Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer) is an excellent children's series.

We dont have any good books to read in school. We just finished Carrie's War. It almost killed me from bordom.

Augghhh!!
Why do schools always manage to pick the most awful books for us to work on? So far we've had Lockie Leonard (*Blech*), Angel's Gate (*Yawn*), and Bend it like Beckham (*Beats self over the head with a welding mallet*)

Of course, the Discworld books aren't all suitable for kids (I'm not sure I want to read Wintersmith after the blurb) but so far the ones I've read seem quite good for kids, assuming, for example in Hogfather, they can get their heads around the philosophical-iness
Quark

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:37 am

Welcome to the site Cherry74 :D And congrats on having a nipper with such good taste!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Always start 'em off young I say Cherry :wink:

Quark - I resisted the Tiffany YA series for a long time as well. I finally succumbed after getting nagged for ages (by this lot) and can honestly say that although the focus is on young people there's barely a blip in the writing style and quality. Wintersmith's my favourite mostly :oops: (damn my romance addiction! How can a female resist the story of the Winter spirit falling for a young girl? :lol: )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Welcome to the site Cherry74 :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

excuse my ignorance , welcome to the site cherry74 :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Welcome, Cherry74! You obviously have a keen sense of what a good upbringing should contain!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Cherry74 welcome to the forum.Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby cols » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 am

Welcome Cheery74 :D
cols

Postby Grymm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 am

My 10yr old...erm, well he was 8 when he started reading them, is a big fan of the Barnaby Grimes series
Barnaby Grimes: Curse of the Night Wolf
Barnaby Grimes: Return of the Emerald Skull
Barnaby Grimes: Legion of the Dead
Barnaby Grimes: Phantom Of Blood Alley
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell all set in a psuedoVictorian London and since has gone on to the Edge Chronicles by the same chaps.
I've also read them, purely to see if they are suitable y'unnerstand, and would happily recommend them.
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.
Grymm

Postby theoldlibrarian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm

As an avid reader of children's literature I am more than impressed with the selection of books I've seen here. Personally I recommend the children's novels by J R R Tolkien (Roverandum, Tales of the Perilous realms and the Hobbit is suitable for older children as well) Later in life they have a huge selection of Tolkien (Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion etc.).
The Roald Dahl books are great and he has also written many fantastic adults books. For anybody who has visited Dublin, read Roddy Doyl's children's trilogy. They are hilarious and original.
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail
-Gore Vidal
theoldlibrarian

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Books