Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:10 pm

To be fair, if he hadn't, there'd have been only 1 person in that whole department!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Grrrr! Don't you just love those people who obviously have a bug, but struggle into work to infect everyone else. :evil:

I do but in my place (and many others) we do not get paid if we take time off sick (apart from statutory sick pay after the third day which is a pittance). Also, if we have three separate sickies in the space of six months (being ill and going home early also counts) we face a disciplinary. I got my first written warning for a first offence in four and a half years for hitting this target earlier this year so I can't really blame people for struggling in, in these circumstances. :evil:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:49 pm

No I can certainly see that. The logic behind it though escapes me - from the employer's point of view. It has to be better having someone stay home if they have something contagious than risking them coming in and infecting lots of others - doesn't it?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 pm

There are shaped paper masks one can buy (assuming you can spare about six dollars) that help prevent you from spreading germs by breathing, sneezing, etc. If shuffling paper that others will handle, handwashing or use of hand sanitizer might help. The same methods also help prevent catching stuff. Back when I used to travel by airplane occasionally, I used to wear the paper masks from the moment I entered the airport (taking it off occasionally so people could see my face when necessary for ID) until I left the airport at the other end. It almost 100% prevented "airplane sore throat."

On the other hand, I could easily understand coughing onto a piece of paper that the person who makes the rules might be going to handle...
=Tamar

Postby michelanCello » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:59 pm

That actually happened to my mom, Bouncy. She was already in hospital and everything, with only her night gown on, then I got a phone call at school in the morning from her asking me to run home to get her clothes and bring them to the hospital (other end of town), because they had canceled her surgery because she had a bit of a sniff... :?

I'd say don't go to work, or ask that person not to go to work, but if not, then dress up warm, have lots of vitamin C as a precaution and open the window frequently to get the germs out...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Ghost » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 am

=Tamar wrote:There are shaped paper masks one can buy (assuming you can spare about six dollars) that help prevent you from spreading germs by breathing, sneezing, etc. If shuffling paper that others will handle, handwashing or use of hand sanitizer might help. The same methods also help prevent catching stuff. Back when I used to travel by airplane occasionally, I used to wear the paper masks from the moment I entered the airport (taking it off occasionally so people could see my face when necessary for ID) until I left the airport at the other end. It almost 100% prevented "airplane sore throat."

On the other hand, I could easily understand coughing onto a piece of paper that the person who makes the rules might be going to handle...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-HYGIENIC ... 2c7abf4118
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I'll never understand why employers put employees in a position where they're forced (or feel forced) to come in sick. It's idiotic and counter productive. But then, that sums up a lot of corporate decisions, doesn't it?

Bouncy, wash your hands lots. Wearing a mask will help if you're willing.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm

When my nephew was 4 he had kidney cancer and had to have one removed and lots of chemo afterwards. This was just as he was starting school and just before the start of the first term the school wrote to every parent saying that there was one student starting that year who couldn't be exposed to any germs so if their child had the slightest sniffle they should keep them at home with the schools full blessing.

Sometimes places do have a bit of sense :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:05 am

Think this qualifies as a minor niggle,i'm not liking this Eggheads spin-off thing(Revenge of the Egghead) at all. :x
Can only wish for the real thing to come back soon and hope this isn't a lasting format... :snooty:

Edit : At least i'm not alone it seems...:
http://www.tvguide.co.uk/Eggheads
Should be over soon...good! :D
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 am

this is a result of daphne's retirement
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:13 am

It's a results of some very bad decisions along the way from people obviously totally out of touch with reality...
As far as i can tell the reactions are overwhelmingly negative(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=8449234&skip=100 and others),so hopefully this format at least will be pulled prematurely and not taken to the proposed 30(...!Please no...please... :sad-roulette: )episodes of this insult to the old show. :twisted:
I mean of all the people they took the most obnoxious one,played into an IMAO quite overinflated ego,threw in a few cheap 'modern' touches(the music... :angry-nono: ) and thought this was a good idea how exactly...? :angry-tappingfoot:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby mirandashell » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm a regular poster on POV and this programme has been absolutely trashed. I watched it once and lasted about 10 mins, I think.
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby janet » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Same here Mirandashell! Saw this and thought i'd give it a go..........awful :angry-nono: :handgestures-thumbdown:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Well it must be bad, coz Jack isn't in today, and I'm told that his whole family now have the bug.

My friend, Mary, tells me that staff at hospitals can't take sick leave, without turning up first to prove they're ill.

Her mum was in hospital being treated for cancer, and a nurse turned up on the ward with a horrendous sore throat, etc. She treated Mary's mum before being sent home, and her poor mum ended up with a chest infection which went to pneumonia and eventually death.

Mary is convinced her mum would have pulled through the treatment if it wasn't for catching the illness.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:My friend, Mary, tells me that staff at hospitals can't take sick leave, without turning up first to prove they're ill.

I have never in all my working life heard of such a thing. I don't live in the same country as you but we do have a few english nurses where I work & I've never heard them say anything like that either.

I'm very sorry for your friend's mum.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum