Petition to prevent a gravel pit nearby...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Petition to prevent a gravel pit nearby...

Postby chillicamper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 am

signed
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 am

Done & dusted.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Catch-up » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Thank you so much! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Is there anywhere else they can put the gravel pit? The pit has too many cons than pros to putting it in the area of course so i'll be happy to sign, but take a petition near where I live for example, these people want to put up wind farms but the people living nearby have set up a petition to stop it, I don't know what happened in the end but Im here thinking "wind farms make lots of clean energy, if they don't set it up there, where else can they do it?". if the gravel pit never gets set up because theres nowhere else, how many people go without what they need from it? just a thought.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby janet » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I guess people need gravel for building roads etc. and they have to take it from where they find it occuring naturally, but this location near Catch-up is particularly sensitive for the local population and environmentally therefore, people are, quite rightly, very unhappy about it. It's the conflict of business trying to ride roughshod over people and, guess what, if you sign the petition it means you're on the side of the people.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for signing! :D And, great questions Simmonds. Here's what I know, this location is at the edge of a huge gravel rich area. It's state owned land that many people currently use for recreation. It's a park with trails and wetland areas. This would impact wildlife, could cause environmental damage, and the land may never be recovered for use after the mining is done. It's my understanding that it's not financially feasible to have to truck the gravel more than 30 miles to be processed. The gravel and sand would be used to make concrete which, like Janet pointed out, would be used to make roads and buildings. But, not only is there not a lot of growth happening in Michigan right now, the population is actually declining. Plus, the road that would endure up to 80 gravel trucks per day would be the main road going through our town, which was never designed to handle that kind of traffic, and actually can't accommodate the traffic we already have. The laws are heavily slanted in favor of the mining companies (surprise, surprise!), so I don't know that there's really any hope of stopping this. The petition and township meetings are the only ways people can officially have their voices heard. This may very well be a case of "not in my backyard." But, as you said, with all the cons far outweighing the pros, we've got to try. Thanks again and fingers crossed!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby TinatheConfused » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 am

I signed and posted on facebook
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Catch-up » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you Tina! :D
Catch-up

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum