The Bromeliad Trilogy

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Bromeliad Trilogy

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:53 pm

I absolutely love The Bromeliad trilogy. Maybe my favourite of all TP's books. They're beautifully written.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Mixa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm

=Tamar wrote:I think it may be the "uncanny valley" effect. Something that is almost perfectly human-looking, yet still just barely not human, is frightening, compared to something that is clearly non-human.
=Tamar

Hahaha! :lol: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar). :teasing-neener: ;)

simmonds91 wrote: my favourite character is the "thing".

Yeah, the Thing is great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sister Jennifer wrote:I absolutely love The Bromeliad trilogy. Maybe my favourite of all TP's books. They're beautifully written.

Perhaps they are not my favourite ones, but I agree. They are marvellous!

Would you recommend them to start reading Terry Pratchett?

Mx

P.S. Hey Tony! I've had to look up that expresion on Wikipedia. It is really interesting! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack wrote:Hear Hear!
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Mixa wrote:
=Tamar wrote:I think it may be the "uncanny valley" effect. Something that is almost perfectly human-looking, yet still just barely not human, is frightening, compared to something that is clearly non-human.
=Tamar

Hahaha! :lol: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar). :teasing-neener: ;)

P.S. Hey Tony! I've had to look up that expresion on Wikipedia. It is really interesting! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack wrote:Hear Hear!

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:57 pm

The Thing is a really interesting and useful literary device. It allows the Nomes to learn about themselves and to explain the world around them. But it doesn't give the whole thing away straight off - because it is "thinking". So while that is going on, the Nomes try to do things for themselves, with hilarious results.

In many ways I think the Toad in the Tiffany books serves a similar purpose and a literary device.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Mixa wrote:
Hahaha! :lol: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar).

I think your avatar Mixa is a little uneven - she looks like she's glancing down at something with the right eye a little cross-eyed - is this why people find her freaky?
Slantaholic

Postby Mixa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:21 pm

That. Was. The last. Straw. First you say my avatar is frightful, then abnormal and finally cross-eyed!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, let's better bury the hatchet and continue talking about the trilogy.
;)

Tonyblack wrote:The Thing is a really interesting and useful literary device. It allows the Nomes to learn about themselves and to explain the world around them. But it doesn't give the whole thing away straight off - because it is "thinking". So while that is going on, the Nomes try to do things for themselves, with hilarious results.

In many ways I think the Toad in the Tiffany books serves a similar purpose and a literary device.

Oh! I've never thought this about the Thing before... But makes sense. Anyway I think the Toad can't hold a candle to the Thing... The latter is one-off! :D

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books