Thud! Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Thud! Discussion *Spoilers*

Postby mirandashell » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Well... let's just say we're less likely to be on Nobby's side!
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby Las » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Well I guess there are no sides in relationship. Just side of Love. And I felt sorry. Everybody change, Vimes changed, even Carrot, Angua, but not Nobby with cigarette behind ear, bad smell and his crossdressing stuff. Just imagine Nobby cleaned, well dressed, good maners. And you're more likely to be on Nobby's side;). He should get in love or good pchyactrist. Both better:)
Last edited by Las on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Las

Postby Las » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:08 pm

By the way, theme of love in Terry's books. I can remember Magrat's 15th years old long kiss. That was awesome! Maybe some advice which book or series with love. Carrot-Angua it's their ceiling.
Las

Postby Elanor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am

It's my first post here, so, hello everyone, and I'm already starting with a question, aimed particularly as native speakers.

Is Brick's speech, especially his inner monologues, recognisable to you as a specific dialect? I read it, naturally, as lower class (and probably drug-induced), but to me it also sounds (well, looks, or reads) like the stereotypical AAVE (African American Vernacular English). Is the native reaction the same? I'd be very grateful for answers.

And yes, I am asking this because I'm writing a thing on translation of Thud!, so please bear with me. :mrgreen:
Elanor

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:34 am

Welcome to the site, Elanor! :D

I have always read Brick as a sort of street-London - not exactly Cockney, but more like the sort of accent that young Londoners might use.

This video might give you an idea. :)

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Elanor » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks, Tonyblack. Interesting, I always associated pronunciations like 'dem' and 'dey' exclusevely with urban American or Irish accents. Goes to show, you can only learn so much from books and films :D
Elanor

Previous

Return to Discworld novels