So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:28 am

Me thinks whoever is making/updating the guide might need a bigger scroll soon. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Mixa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes, that’s truth, raptornx01! And let’s hope the scroll will keep growing for a looong time!

Hey! I’m so happy I found this topic! It is very interesting to read all your opinions. They are all great! ;)

My turn!
Hooray!

1. How did you come to read your first Discworld book?

Spoiler: show
This is a fun story to tell, because the fact of knowing about Terry Pratchett started one generation before mine and because of a mistake… Well, in the end not a mistake at all… XD

Once upon a time, several years before my mother had me, she ordered to buy a T-Shirt from a magazine. A few days after, she received a box and opened it. So far so good, right? But it turned out that because of the inscrutable ways of the causality, inside the box there wasn’t the T-Shirt she wanted but a book called “Ritos Iguales” (Equal Rites).

She started reading it. At the beginning she got confused, but in the end she loved it and waited for the next translations (and you had to be very patient because at that time the average of years x books were of 2 or 3! 8P) and made the collection…

Years later… When I was eight she introduced me to the Discworld and… Here I am! :dance:

PS. My mother never asked for the T-Shirt. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2. Which was your first Discworld book?

“Equal Rites” was the book that really hooked me to Terry Pratchett. I was so young that some things were difficult for me to comprehend and this was the first book I really enjoyed. With time I learned to understand those complex things and, of course, to love them!

3. Will you read more?

I’ve been reading Terry Pratchett for more than seven years so I think it’s quite probable I’ll carry on with it. XD

4. Which one do you intend to read next?

Currently I’m waiting for the Spanish translation of “Raising Steam” and “Dodger”. My treasureeee! :drool:

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?

I always recommend reading Discworld orderly by series (witches, wizards, the Watch) but not necessarily by order of publication. In my opinion “Colour of Magic” is good but not the best book to start familiarizing with Terry Pratchett.

You know, the idea of Discworld was half-done, and the book it is not particularly fun. :| I normally recommend “Equal Rites” or “Guards! Guards!” to start, but I think everyone have a especial Discworld book waiting for them that will hook them, whichever it is!

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
Mixa

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Great answers Mixa. You are clearly having great fun with the books and long may it continue :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby javimgol » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi!

I'm new here.

I discovered Discworld thanks to a friend who is a great fan of DW. I begun to read them last year, and have just finished I shall dress midnight (I really loved it). Now I have finished all the sagas: Rincewind and wizards, Witches, Death, Guards, Moist (Raising Steam included) and Tiffany, plus the Truth.

And now what? I really loved all the pieces of Terry. I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much. Shall I read the short novels or Science books or are just a gimmick?

When is going to launch Terry another book, if he is planning to do it (I know he as Alzheimer)? Is it true that he may release a new witches book with Tiffany and the Chalk coven included?

Thanks a lot!
javimgol

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Welcome to the site! :D

I think the next book is 'The Long Mars' with Stephen Baxter. Not sure about the next Discworld book though. We've heard that he is writing another Tiffany book, but don't know any more details . . . well, I don't know any more.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 am

javimgol wrote: Now I have finished all the sagas: Rincewind and wizards, Witches, Death, Guards, Moist (Raising Steam included) and Tiffany, plus the Truth.
I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much. Shall I read the short novels or Science books or are just a gimmick?

The individual novels are good too.
Moving Pictures is a wizards novel. It has many references to movies of the early 20th century, so you may want to read the lists of annotations at the Pratchett website at www.lspace.org
Vimes has a small role in Monstrous Regiment.
Many people think Small Gods is one of the best books.
The Science of Discworld books have a short Rincewind novel interwoven with science chapters. I think they are good and they show Rincewind's life as a member of the faculty at Unseen University.

=Tamar
=Tamar

Postby Mixa » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Great answers Mixa. You are clearly having great fun with the books and long may it continue :D

Thank you The Mad Collector! Of course I’m going to continue with Discworld, I’m waiting impatiently for new books! :mrgreen: And recommending the current ones to as much people as I can! Actually I convinced my English teacher (she’s from London) to try with “Guards! Guards!” and she is loving it! XD

javimgol wrote:And now what? I really loved all the pieces of Terry. I guess I'll read the single novels (Piromids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods and Monstrous Regiment), but frankly I'm not expecting too much.

Welcome javimgol! I’m new here as well, but I’m having a great time! :dance:

Referring to what you said of the single novels, they are as outstanding as the others. In fact, I completely agree with =Tamar, because "Small Gods" is one of the Discworld books that made me laugh most. Terry Pratchett is amazing! I can’t stop bellowing it from the rooftops! :pray:

I also recommend you other Pratchett books as “Nation” or “The Bromeliad Trilogy”! They are simply wonderful!!

Tonyblack wrote:I think the next book is 'The Long Mars' with Stephen Baxter.

I’ve read something about these new books with Stephen Baxter but I don’t know what they are about. Could someone tell me a little bit about them? Did you like them?

Mx
Mixa

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:45 pm

The books with Stephen Baxter are based on an idea that Terry had a long time ago that he never got around to developing. The idea is basically the idea of infinite universes and the stories concern humanity discovering a way to "step" between these realities to different versions of Earth - none of which have ever (it seems) had humans on it. The further they travel through these worlds, the more they change.

A lot of Pratchett readers don't seem to have enjoyed them as they are very different to the Discworld books, but I have enjoyed them and I am looking forward to the next in the series. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Mixa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Sorry for the waiting and thank you for the information, Tonyblack. As everything that Pratchett writes, I’m sure I will love it! ;)

Mx
Mixa

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:45 pm

I would prefer it if Baxter and Pratchett wrote more meta-prequel to the Discworld than just the elves.
The only decent thing I found in the Long Earth book was Lobsang the robot.
Slantaholic

Postby Mixa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 am

Ok, thank you Slantaholic, I take note about it! ;)

Mx
Mixa

Postby Freebie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Good questions!

- I saw The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents in the shop (I expect) and thought it looked good (cat on the front cover!), and it had received an award recently, so it seemed worth a go. So I asked for it for Christmas, many years ago now.

2. What was your first Discworld book?
- The above. If we're counting the ones in the older reader list, then Feet Of Clay was my first.

3. Will you read more?
- I will, and I am!

- I'm not sure. I've read all the ones I currently own.

5. If you didn't start with Colour of Magic, how easily did you find it to get into Discworld? Did you feel that some background knowledge was necessary?
- I feel I started well with Feet Of Clay. For the next few I read it was easy to get into. Colour Of Magic might even have been the third or fourth book I read and actually I found that a bit more difficult to get in to at first.
Freebie

Postby Mixa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Good answers, Freebie! ;)

I think it’s great you started with “The Amazing Maurice”. I really enjoyed it (well, you know, I enjoy every TP’s book :mrgreen: ) but as not questioning any physical law or so, it was easier to understand and to relish. XD

I recommend you to try with every single Discworld book. They are all worthy! :romance-heartbeating:

Oh! And welcome to the site! :dance:

Mx
Mixa

Postby Modo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 am

I read my first one in High School. I found it at a book shop and it appealed to me.

2. What was your first Discworld book?

Mort.

3. Will you read more?

Yes. No question.

The Last Continent.

Mort was really the introduction to Death as a character, and was kind of a singular story compared to other Pratchett novels. A while back I decided to start reading them in order, and have enjoyed every minute of it.
Modo

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:13 am

Mort is a great place to start. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels