What have you seen recently? 3

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What have you seen recently? 3

Postby spideygirl2 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:I saw Rise of the Guardians. Lovely animation, Santa & his inked arms were pretty groovy.

I'd like to get the books.

I agree, the animation was stunning :)
Ssshhhh! It's really SpideyGirl here
spideygirl2

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 am

Quatermass wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:The original Iron Chef, or the newer one with william shatner?

WTF? William Shatner does Iron Chef? :shock:

I'm talking about the American dubbed version of the original Japanese show, where we have Takeshi Kaga proclaiming "Allez cuisine!!!" He's overdubbed on some bits, but otherwise just subtitled. I just watched one involving swallow's nest. Swallow's nest. And it apparently cost 24 grand in US dollars at the time. One I'd love to see is where that Aussie chef challenged them...

What mad said. though I didn't know it was different then the one on now. Used to watch the original alot (though it's been many years since i saw it). And I was going to ask about the dubbing thing. One weird thing i noticed about the show was how, in every ep i ever saw, everyone, the announcers, the guests, the chefs, everyone was dubbed, except him. Was curious if that was like that in other countries as well.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:28 am

raptornx01 wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:The original Iron Chef, or the newer one with william shatner?

WTF? William Shatner does Iron Chef? :shock:

I'm talking about the American dubbed version of the original Japanese show, where we have Takeshi Kaga proclaiming "Allez cuisine!!!" He's overdubbed on some bits, but otherwise just subtitled. I just watched one involving swallow's nest. Swallow's nest. And it apparently cost 24 grand in US dollars at the time. One I'd love to see is where that Aussie chef challenged them...

What mad said. though I didn't know it was different then the one on now. Used to watch the original alot (though it's been many years since i saw it). And I was going to ask about the dubbing thing. One weird thing i noticed about the show was how, in every ep i ever saw, everyone, the announcers, the guests, the chefs, everyone was dubbed, except him. Was curious if that was like that in other countries as well.

I think it's because they recognised his performance (he's a fairly well known Japanese actor) and decided they couldn't overdub better. I'm not sure why they overdub his narration, though. I think I heard somewhere that music clearance problems were involved, although that might be me being confused with other music clearance problems.

I've actually seen Takeshi Kaga in the live action Death Note film, where he plays Soichiro Yagami.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby janet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Dug, as far as I can tell, it's season 1. Dave Lister wakes up 3m years later.

They took a few episodes to warm up but they get funnier once Kryten joins the crew properly.

I watched the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law/Guy Ritchie take on Sherlock Holmes yesterday.....having an open mind but also having heard some damning with faint praise for it. I liked it a lot. Excellent! :clap:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:13 pm

janet wrote:They took a few episodes to warm up but they get funnier once Kryten joins the crew properly.:

Series 3 onwards :D

janet wrote:I watched the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law/Guy Ritchie take on Sherlock Holmes yesterday.....having an open mind but also having heard some damning with faint praise for it. I liked it a lot. Excellent! :clap:

Same here, I was all prepared to hate it but it's really good and surprisingly true to the Holmes in the books
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby spideygirl2 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
janet wrote:They took a few episodes to warm up but they get funnier once Kryten joins the crew properly.:

Series 3 onwards :D

My lad has just started watching these, can't wait til he meets Kryten as we regularly quote him. :D
Ssshhhh! It's really SpideyGirl here
spideygirl2

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 am

spideygirl2 wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:I saw Rise of the Guardians. Lovely animation, Santa & his inked arms were pretty groovy.

I'd like to get the books.

I agree, the animation was stunning :)

I loved that one too!

janet wrote:
Catch-up wrote:

They took a few episodes to warm up but they get funnier once Kryten joins the crew properly.

I watched the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law/Guy Ritchie take on Sherlock Holmes yesterday.....having an open mind but also having heard some damning with faint praise for it. I liked it a lot. Excellent! :clap:

We will definitely give it another shot, but it's good to know that it really picks up around season 3.

Loved the Sherlock movies! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 am

Catch-up wrote:Tony, I did not know that! How cool. :D

That is season 1. Have patience :D It gets waaaay better! (can you tell I'm a fan :lol: ) Especially when Kryten becomes a regular.

(Oh dear Om, I've been sucked into watching RD You-Tube clips - just watched Tongue-Tied :lol: :lol: )
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Firannion » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:18 am

I absolutely detested The Wolf of Wall Street. Was ready to walk out after 10 minutes, but had to tough it out for the full three hours because I'm the film reviewer for my local paper. What a miserable, revolting ordeal. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I feel like I need to go see something else just to wash it out.

Of the movies that I've seen in recent months, I think that Philomena was my favorite. Next up will likely be The Invisible Woman, about Charles Dickens' longtime lover.

Mostly I'm excited that Season 3 of Game of Thrones will be out on DVD in just a few more weeks! I don't have cable TV, much less HBO, so I have to wait a whole extra year to catch up with the rest of the world.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

- Noam Chomsky
Firannion

Postby janet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 am

Red Dwarf - agree entirely about it warming up from series 3 onwards :lol:
Got the second Sherlock Holmes film 'A Game of Shadows' yesterday - fast, physical and funny - loved it :D
Does anyone know if there's a third film in the offing? They left the option wide open. I find it fascinating that seperate groups of people brought to fruition their own fresh interpretations of the Holmes stories at roughly the same point in time. In their own way, both have got back to the characters as they were written and there are an awful lot of similarities but I don't think this detracts from either. They're both excellent i.m.o.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby pip » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am

Firannion wrote:I absolutely detested The Wolf of Wall Street. Was ready to walk out after 10 minutes, but had to tough it out for the full three hours because I'm the film reviewer for my local paper. What a miserable, revolting ordeal. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I feel like I need to go see something else just to wash it out.

Of the movies that I've seen in recent months, I think that Philomena was my favorite. Next up will likely be The Invisible Woman, about Charles Dickens' longtime lover.

Mostly I'm excited that Season 3 of Game of Thrones will be out on DVD in just a few more weeks! I don't have cable TV, much less HBO, so I have to wait a whole extra year to catch up with the rest of the world.

Ouch on GOT . I'd go nuts waiting a year. Refuse to pay Sky TV either for Atlantic so go through murkier routes to get . But I still buy the box set so me and George are cool. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 pm

We're in the same boat with Game of Thrones. Although, after waiting a year, I've pretty much lost interest. Not that I didn't enjoy watching the first couple of seasons, but I never thought it was great.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 am

Firannion wrote:Of the movies that I've seen in recent months, I think that Philomena was my favorite.

After catching up with a couple of other films, Philomena is now top of my 'to see' list. I'm really looking forward to it.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:59 pm

Just watched The thirteenth tale a eerie film with spooky undertones
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm

The plan is to go and see Frankenstien sometime tomorrow.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre