Discworld Poll 1: Top 10 favourite Josh Kirby covers.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Discworld Poll 1: Top 10 favourite Josh Kirby covers.

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:52 am

"betray millenia of knowledge"? What millenia of knowledge are you talking about, exactly? World War Z? :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 am

Essentially i was talking bollox
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

Happily, on digital media. So it won't be preserved for millenia :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm definitely a fan of Josh's artwork I knew of him before his Discworld covers, but I also like Kidby's stuff as well. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I'm a Kirby fan.

Guards! Guards!
Reaper Man
Feet of Clay
Mort
Lords & Ladies
Carpe Jugulum.
Small Gods
Witches Abroad
The Last Continent
The Light Fantastic

They're all really good. I can spend ages looking at his covers. It doesn't bother me that they aren't much like the DW or it's characters that I imagine. I thought it was hilarious that he drew Twoflower with 4 eye's. I liked in The Light Fantastic when TP is describing Herrena and he says something like, the reader will no doubt cast their eye to the illustration on the cover of this book. Bloody funny.

I have other books by Craig Shaw Gardner that I bought because of the Kirby cover illustrations. The Cineverse Cycle if you ever come across them. Good for a laugh.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I have all of them as well SIs J, Josh also done some for Robert Rankin and Tom Holt as well as some for various SF books, I have a set of postcards with his artwork on them.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 am

^Nice.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Discworldpadawan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Hello there fellow discworld forum members! New here, and also new to the disk itself as of last year! Im trying to find out information on the cover artists, because I've got snuff, Unseen Academicals and Raising Steam with cover artwork by Paul Kidby, but how many other book cover artists have contributed to the artwork, does anyone know? Also which Discworld book did Paul Kidby first do the artwork for? Im just starting to build my collection of Terry's fine books, but need help with this issue because I'd rather own the books with artwork by kidby, if he's done a whack of them. Appretiate any advice from the no-doubt well initiated discworld fans that I sense in abundance here, - methinks Im in safe hands!! :)
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
Discworldpadawan

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Welcome to the site! :)

Pretty much all the Discworld books until Nightwatch were done by Josh Kirby and Paul Kidby took over after that. That's as far as the UK covers are concerned. There are lots of illustrators in various counties doing covers for different language versions. Indeed there's a section here showcasing the French covers.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Discworldpadawan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 am

Hi TonyBlack, and many thanks from a fellow Welshman, Im down south west Near Llanelli! It is the british covers I'll be accumulating yes, So Paul Kidby did all the british covers after nightwatch to the present you say? Thats a great help! And Josh Kirby did all the british cover artwork for nightwatch and everything prior to it? Is that all there is for our British editions? If so I breath a sigh of relief, I thought it would be quite alot more complicated than that! I get confused with the early releases especially, because there seem to be many variations of artwork for some books, even different covers for american releases etc?
Discworldpadawan

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 am

Bore da! :D Just to clarify - Nightwatch's cover was done by Paul Kidby, Josh Kirby having passed away in the meantime.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 am

Original UK version of Colour of Magic had artwork by Alan Smith . Hard to come by these days though -
Fairly comprehensive list of additions and artwork for UK and other editions is saved here -
http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/discworldpages/dwindex.htm
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Discworldpadawan wrote:there seem to be many variations of artwork for some books, even different covers for american releases etc?

Most of the early US releases had the Josh Kirby covers, though sometimes with the colors shifted. However, the SF Book Club releases have always had their own cover artists (some very good). There was an oddball paperback release of The Colour of Magic that had a completely different cover, showing the dragon vanishing from under a realistically drawn Rincewind and Twoflower. I think it was Harper that began having separate covers for the US editions; they went through several phases, and even the really wretched ones seemed to sell better in the US than the Kirby covers. Sometimes we get lucky and we get the Paul Kidby cover, as on the Science of Discworld books and the spinoffs. Mostly we get iconic covers with a single symbolic drawing.
=Tamar

Postby Discworldpadawan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Oh great, thank you Pip and Tony for the info! I've just purchased first edition's of witches abroad and Men at arms, I would like to read them in some sort of order, but going postal is next on the "to-read" list, once I've finished raising steam. Taken quite a shine to Mr Lipwig, scallywag that he is! As well as the link to cover work mentioned above, I've also found a very good comprehensive one, here is the link -
http://www.lspace.org/books/covers/index.html
dont know if anyone here is aware of it? When you click on discworld titles, it shows you all the different covers that have been released for that particular novel, - perfect for identifying which ones are 1st edition uk covers etc. Perfect for me anyway! I was worried I wouldnt be able to correcty identify covers before purchasing the book. On e bay for example when you search for a title, the listing often does not have the cover artist mentioned.
Discworldpadawan

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

pip wrote:Is someone with ebooks allowed have an opinion on the beauty of cover art ;)

I have no opinion, as I never really take much notice of the covers.

[ runs and hides ]
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels