Fake first editions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Fake first editions?

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 am

There are quite a few fakes in the bear business as well. It is easy to fake a lot of Steiff bears because they have made so many replicas. Just take the modern labels off those and knock them around a bit to age them and people do get fooled. I have had to tell several people that what they have isn't what it appears to be.

I also collect Penguin books from the first 10 years (1935 to 1945) and there are a number of counterfeit versions around although these weren't to fool collectors they simply represent the supply and demand issues of wartime production with unofficial copies made in various other countries where the originals simply didn't get to the market. They are fun to find
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby pip » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 am

Probably still a bit of value to the wartime fakes due to the reasoning but I know a few people burnt on books , mainly with faked signatures. One foolish friend bought a copy of The Gathering Storm signed by Robert Jordan who had died two years before the books release. :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby huhhuh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 am

How do you identify if a book is fake?

I recently bought a copy of City Watch trilogy, not first edition or anything, I just wanted a copy of the book. Book arrived few days ago, along with the other Discworld omnibuses from another seller, and it looked 'too clean' to me.

I'm not sure if the City Watch trilogy is still in print, I would assume no, and it came out a decade(?) ago. The paper on my copy is so white, it almost seem bleached and/or fluorescent, like A4 paper. It doesn't 'feel' like A4 paper, but I'm no authority there. Aside from that, the paper color of the first page attached to the cover seems normal, unlike the rest of the book.

I've personally never seen a book, even a brand new release in mint condition, with paper that 'white'. Seller description states book is in very good condition, but the paper here seems a little too new, considering age of publication.

Is it common practice to counterfeit a title like City Watch trilogy, where it's not even a first edition, with no 'extras' like signatures? I would think production costs of the counterfeit copy would be too high, but again, I'm no expert on that area. I paid USD 40 for the book. There are cheaper copies about, but this seller had lower shipping costs, so total price including shipping was actually more agreeable to me.

Are there any other ways I could check to verify authenticity of the book? Is this a counterfeit, or is a new/near mint copy of the book really really white (paper), and I just got lucky? Appreciate feedback on this, thanks.
huhhuh

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 am

Hi huhhuh, Check the ISBN on the flyleaf page that's the one with all the publishers details overleaf from the title page.
Hardcover, 768 pages
Published November 18th 1999 by Gollancz City Watch Trilogy.ISBN0575067985 (ISBN13: 9780575067981) .edition languageEnglish.seriesDiscworld #8, 15, 19 .

Also there should be a row of numbers at the bottom of the page showing what tells you what the print edition it is.
Being it's not a 1st may start with a 3579108642 etc meaning that's the 3rd printing.

If there is no ISBN then it is a book club edition. it is unlikely be a fake as that would not be cost effective, if it was stored wrapped and kept in a dark place with a lot of other copies that would explain the clean condition.

Hope this helps.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby huhhuh » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi WWD,

Thanks for the feedback. Hope you're right in this case. I compared the book contents to the preview in Amazon, all seems to be similar with exception of 'second imprint...'. That entry isn't in my copy. I'm just wondering if it's financially feasible for someone to scan an existing copy and then print it out and glue the whole thing together. My concern isn't the book's print run, and I guess the contents are the same, whether printed by publisher or individual, but it irks me to think that it's a copy, even if it may be cleaner and possibly on higher grade (or maybe just brighter) paper than intended by the publisher.

Plus, I did pay 40 bucks for it, and I'm irritated suspecting if someone, somewhere is profiting from this by printing a scan. Hardbacks go for less than that, but then again publishers print in bulk. How many counterfeit copies would someone need to print and sell at 40 bucks to turn a profit?

I had a look at the other omnibuses, there are multiple blank pages at the end of the book. For City Watch trilogy, there is only one blank page at the front, and one blank page after the last printed page at the end of the book. Is there anyone with a copy of this book that can help confirm if the book is constructed this way, or should I expect multiple blank pages after page 759? Any feedback on this would be appreciated, thanks.
huhhuh

Postby kizkiz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Just checked my second imprint
It only has one blank page at each end.
As others have said, not a book that anyone would fake, you just have a very nice copy is all
kizkiz

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Too be honest, I doubt if any of the omnibuses, where first edition or not, would be worth as much as the individual books in first edition. There would be little money for a faker.

Going by the Abebooks listing, it looks like you paid about the right price. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby =Tamar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:58 pm

huhhuh wrote:I'm just wondering if it's financially feasible for someone to scan an existing copy and then print it out and glue the whole thing together.

Not at all, unless they have their own print-on-demand business, and even then it would not be cost-effective.
The cost of ink and paper alone would be prohibitive for an ordinary person.

huhhuh wrote:How many counterfeit copies would someone need to print and sell at 40 bucks to turn a profit?

Probably several thousand or more, considering that regular publishers have to sell that many to begin to make any reasonable profit.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm unpacking my books at the moment,as I not that long moved house and just reassembled my bookcases so when I come to it I will post the details.
EDIT TO ADD I have the Death trilogy,not the Watch one. :roll: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby huhhuh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 am

Relieved to see the likelihood of counterfeiting this item is low, guess I just got a really nice copy. Thanks for all the feedback guys, really apprecated.
huhhuh

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Feel free to join in with the banter huhhuh. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to Terry Pratchett