The Desolation of Smaug & other epics - SPOILERS!!!!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Desolation of Smaug & other epics - SPOILERS!!!!!

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 pm

We finally got to see it this weekend and I loved it! :D It went by so fast. Considering where it ended, I did wonder how they'd squeeze a whole other movie out of it. But I'm sure they'll fill it up with great stuff and I won't be disappointed.

Jan, thank you so much for your review! It's been so long since I've read the book that I didn't trust my memory about what was true to the book and what wasn't. I knew you'd lay it all out here though, so thank you! :D

There definitely were some over the top parts, but I still enjoyed them. Thought the elf/dwarf crush was cute. I can never really get enough Legolas action scenes. And the melting gold statue at the end was kind of cheesy, but still fun.

Looking forward to the next!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Having seen how they're handling the 'superfluous' storylines of Thorin's family history (with the evil Orcs Captains) and the siege of Dol Guldur which Tolkien never published in the mainstream novels (they're only in Unfinished Tales and different volumes of the History of ME) I think the last episode will be fast and furious as there are 2 major battles and both will be very different in nature because the Dol Guldur end mostly relies on magic to spring Gandalf from the fortress, so expect Elrond and Galadriel/Celeborn to be strutting their stuff a lot (in canon Galadriel is off-battlefield playing general, but they might just decide to put her with Elrond as she did have hands on battle experience in earlier ages) but not necessarily with standard weapons. In Erebor, Thorin will be getting more gungho over the treasure houses and especially with the Arkenstone so the Battle of the Five Armies will be yet another blockbuster axe and sword fest that PJ just lurves to do... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm

I will be very disappointed if it does not win a few Oscars.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I'm guessing that Saruman will have a larger role in removing the Necromancer from Dol Guldur as well, especially after how they treated Christopher Lee in LotR. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Yup - he's going to be pulled in as a consultant on ring lore and it's where he starts to get drawn to the dark side! :P

Actually poor ole Saruman was an accident waiting to happen as he and Sauron both served the same Vala master (the equivalent of Vulcan/Hephaestus) before defecting to Morgoth - which is where they picked the metallurgy habit :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I always think of him as Saruman the Wipe. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm

I've only just realized that Tauriel is played by the actress from Lost! I'm glad I didn't figure that out before we went to see it, because it probably would have bothered me. She was pretty annoying in the show. But, I thought she was fabulous in this movie.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:20 pm

This is fun :lol:

Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Very good! :lol: :clap:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm

That is good. Makes me feel ok about being a little bit disappointed.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre