Raising Steam

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Raising Steam

Postby =Tamar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
=Tamar wrote:Yes, but I suggest that there may have been more than one. That trip took a long time and someone had to make arrangements for the substitution, someone who looked right had to be trained and get the qualifications, and that would have taken time, regardless of who it was.

But it's the same double. Charlie was in The Truth and then brought back for Raising Steam, he already knew what to do.

Charlie is mentioned in Raising Steam, but I didn't think he was bright enough to be trained as a stoker. There was fierce competition for even the most minor railway jobs. On the other hand, I did just think of another angle. I still think it would have been difficult for Vetinari to spend enough time out of the office to be trained as a stoker and fake all the necessary time, even with Charlie doing most of the "being present at meetings" part of it. It's possible that Charlie was bright enough to be trained as a stoker and pass on what he learned as reports. However, we are told that Drumknott was enthusiastic and spent every possible moment being somehow involved with the railway. I think Drumknott would have been the obvious person to have become friends with railway men as an enthusiast and then passed information to Vetinari.

There remains the problem of how long Vetinari would have had to entrust running the city to Charlie-and-Drumknott. It would be difficult but not impossible to catch up to the train by some other means, whether by witch's broomstick, golem horse, or wizard-empowered coach, but possibly only the broomstick, or perhaps the golem horse, would have been unobtrusive enough to avoid comment. The train had to stop occasionally to take on water, so there were a few opportunities to make the switch, if there was a switch made.

If on the other hand Vetinari trusts Drumknott to run the city using Charlie as a front, then maybe Drumknott is going to be his chosen heir. Drumknott is younger than Vetinari; he got the top-aide position after the events of G!G!
But that's a different discussion.
=Tamar

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Charlie used to previously work as a clown.

I'm still hoping to see his Vetinari puppet show in daydreams!
Slantaholic

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Can we please keep spoilers to the Raising Steam **Spoilers** thread. Thank you.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Training for a stoker on a steam engine? Thought all it took was a strong back and a shovel :?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 am

janet wrote:Training for a stoker on a steam engine? Thought all it took was a strong back and a shovel :?

Check out the 'Men of the Footplate' video which covers the training of rail workers from cleaner up to driver, including stoker. It's an old 1930's public information film and quite amusing (as well as being edukashonal). :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6460
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:45 pm

WIP Death Bridge by Snowgum? How is that link relevant?

I've seen the Men of the Footplate. It explains some things better than the boiled breakfast on the shovel clips I watched previously. I'm up to 17 chapters of bl**dy Vetinari as a Stoker fanfiction on my hard drive, y'know. *tuts* All because I s**ding triggered over Raising Steam!
Slantaholic

Postby TheAnts » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Jussi wrote:US cover art:

I think I like that better than the UK one ... narrowly.
TheAnts

Postby pip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Its definitely a lot better than most of the US covers.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Do we know who the artist is? The style looks familiar.
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Ok - I found the artist - Justin Gerard. I do like his work. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 am

Nice stuff! Thanks for the link Tony!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Discworldpadawan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 pm

I finished Raising Steam last night! What a cracker the last 70 pages were, couldnt stop reading, well done Sir Terry, if you read this!!! :D :D :D Im going straight onto "Going postal" now, Whilst Moist is still fresh in my mind!!! Wish I'd read them in order tho!
A Nod is the same as a wink to a blind horse . . .
Discworldpadawan

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 pm

If you want Moist the goblin-helping, dwarf-killing bandit I'm afraid he's not in Making Money. In there, he's an Ankh-Morporkian banker with Adora and golems, doing all the usual things Moist von Lipwig gets up to. I couldn't recognise him in Raising Steam AT ALL.
Slantaholic

Postby raisindot » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Slantaholic wrote:If you want Moist the goblin-helping, dwarf-killing bandit I'm afraid he's not in Making Money. In there, he's an Ankh-Morporkian banker with Adora and golems, doing all the usual things Moist von Lipwig gets up to. I couldn't recognise him in Raising Steam AT ALL.

I agree. There was nothing about Moist in Raising Steam that bore any resemblance to his characters in the previous books. Then again, the Vimes and Vetinari of Snuff,, Raising Steam and, to a lesser extent, Unseen Academicals, all seem like they're been replaced with dopplegangers. Of course, most of these characters have evolved through the series (the Vetinari of the first couple books is a completely different person that the Patrician of the later books, and Vimes' evolution from a drunken sop to one of the most complex characters is one of the best things Pterry has done), but the direction they've taken is recent books is lamentable.
raisindot

Postby 2centsnonthewiser » Sat May 17, 2014 7:14 am

This is next on the read list. Can't wait! :dance:
2centsnonthewiser

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels