Fake first editions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Fake first editions?

Postby Dog3 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm getting on a bit now, but have always loved reading pratchett.

A few years ago I started collecting some first editions. So I periodically check eBay.

I also have a look at completed, sold, listings to see what's going on.

I've just noticed some bizarre results for Once More With Footnotes. This is pretty rare (2500 copies), but recently a couple of sellers have sold about ten copies each, at 35-60 gbp, way under normal price.

It's odd as it's cheap, but also a couple of sellers selling so many copies.

This made me suspicious, I wonder if they are fakes? Easier to fake as it wasn't standard publication.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... ld=1&rt=nc

Thoughts?
Dog3

Re: Fake first editions?

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

there has been a price drop since the publication of blink of the screen but what I am seeing for the most part is bidding prices and that is ongoing till the final bid but there is one going for about £36 but I can't say legit it is
other than I can't say
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Dog3 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 pm

It's weird though. If you look at sold listings there are a couple of sellers who have sold one every three days or so for a month! E.g. Newblastentertainment

If you look at sold listings thee are two sellers doing this in the same time period. Each of their listings just reuses the same text and image.

Looks very dodgy to me,but I hadn't heard of fake first editions?
Dog3

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:25 pm

me neither but I'm not a expert
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Dog3 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Have noticed similar trend with a Derren Brown book.

This seller has sold quite a few once more with footnotes and "absolute magic by Derren brown - 2nd edition".
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/hermes-eu/m.h ... 7675.l2562

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... ld=1&rt=nc

So beware of cheap versions of this first edition.

Hope this helps someone.
Dog3

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Don't quote me on this, but I think that there was a second edition of the book.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dog3 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 pm

As far as I know the first edition was printed three times. I don't know maybe there has been some reprint and a couple of people have cashed in, but it looks very strange.
Dog3

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm not certain whether a 1st edition 1st printing would be more valuable. I was trying to find details on Colin Smythe's site, but couldn't find an answer.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dog3 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi thanks for looking. Yes I think you are right the 1/1 is most valuable.

But I've never seen one seller selling ten of these in a row before. And a couple of sellers have been doing it at the same time... Maybe I just have a suspicious mind!
Dog3

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 am

Hi Dog3 this info may help to clarify the situation. It was printed because Terry was a G.O.H for the 2004 Worldcon in Boston.

1.There were three printings marked as "First Edition", "First Edition / 2nd printing" and "First Edition / 3rd printing"
2. In at least two copies of the third printing, page 128 was blank. It is in the story "The Sea and Little Fishes." We have only heard of one instance, so we assume it was a one-off printing problem. Since this title is out of print, there are no replacements

Out of Print!
ISBN: 1-886778-57-4
Page count: 288
Book Size: 5-1/2" x 8-1/2"
Published: September 2004
Edited by Sheila Perry and Priscilla Olson
Cover art by Omar Rayyan
Cover design by Omar & Sheila Rayyan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The initial run is a limited edition hardback, consisting of 2,500 copies. It had two additional printings in hardback and is currently out of print. The book has a notable discrepancy: the front cover gives the title with two asterisks (the result of the cover design.) The title page has no asterisks, the press release [1] and the Publisher's product page [2] have one asterisk.
The title is a reference to the phrase "once more, with feeling" and to Pratchett's frequent use of footnotes in his Discworld series, along with the brief author commentary at the start of each piece; the book itself actually contains very few footnotes. One of NESFA's working titles for the book was "Oh Bugger, by Wossname".[1]
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 am

One other element: when the book was first sold, at the WorldCon, it was restricted to two per paid member of the convention. Not all convention members chose to buy their allotted copies. After the convention was over, there were lots of books left over, and the restriction was raised. Then the book dealers bought crates of them. I assume that dealers have been slowly releasing them onto the market a few at a time, but since A Blink of the Screen reprinted the fiction, there was a drop in sales and prices. Now that there is another volume including the non-fiction to be published soon, the dealers are attempting to get the high prices while they still can.
=Tamar

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am

I bought two one for a friend got them signed, at one point they were selling for £350 I don't know how much a signed first,1st printing was selling for. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I bought one online early on. I think I paid $40. When they hit the prices you mentioned Dug, I decided that was one book I could part with. It's the only TP book I've ever sold. :oops: :lol:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:41 pm

I also bought mine online from the convention at about $40 including postage to the UK. I would never pay the prices that were being asked for it.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I biy an awful lot of watches and it always amazes me the amount of fakes out there,and it isn't just Rolex and omegas getting faked either an eight quid Casio is one of the most copied watches in the world. Ot would be of no surprise to me if somebody saw how much these first editions were going for and decided to get a few knockoffs made for virtually no cost in china. I'm only surprised that this isn't a lot more widespread with the likes of a first Harry Potter going for thousands, and its a lot easier to copy a book than it is to copy a watch
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett